Will i have security problem?

We just took our first cruise since I had a total knee replacement last year. I think it's a good practice before you step through the metal detector to tell the security officer that you have implants and may set off their device. They motion you through, and if the device goes off, they either wand you or you get a pat down.

In any event, travelers setting off metal detectors because of implants in their bodies is a pretty common thing. Just leave yourself a little more time, AND if you are traveling with someone else, be sure he/she goes through security in front of you and then grabs the stuff you sent through the X-ray machine after him/her, in case you are pulled aside for wanding or a pat down.

BTW: I have a card from my surgeon as well, but I really don't think having that stuff matters at all, as they can so easily be forged.

I have bilateral TKRs and I ALWAYS set off alarms! I tell them ahead when in the airport, and go through their scanner. I also have cards for each knee, but they don’t care about them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you and glad yours is all over and done too. PT he didn't mention that yet, but I do go back in two weeks. I am not wearing a brace just to walk around and he said in case I fall or somebody pushes me, he just told me not to look up or down.....I hope no PT but your probably right, I am able to turn the head to the right and left not too much but enough.

I have a cochlear implant. It shows up on the security scan but it doesn't set it off. Sometimes they'll do the hand wand, sometimes not. Was a little more interesting experience back when cochlear implants weren't common knowledge though.

My husband had a cochlear implant in April of 2017. In January 2018 we took a flight and cruise. We had a card and letter explaining the implant in case the implant set off the scan. It did not set off either. We will always take the info with when we travel just to be on the safe side

You will NOT have issues. You aren't the only one aboard with implants of all kinds!

Why do you even bother to comment? :rolleyes:

I have had 2 x hip replacements - but, as a 'young man' (according to the surgeon), I had ceramic replacements that are more durable. However, the metal pins set every scanner (ship/airport/shop security ...) off. Pat down and a grope on each occasion - and never so much as a bunch of flowers beforehand :D

So funny. (y)

As for the card I would hope that they don't put to much stock in them because they can easily be faked. It would also just mean that I have another thing to carry around in my purse. That's the last thing I need. :D