Havana Excursions

skronzek

I'm cruising on the Sky in April, and I got an email stating that any Excursion in Havana need to be booked at least 3 days prior to cruise sailing date. Is this true? I hadn't heard anybody mention it. I was told I'd be able to get off the boat and hop on a tour bus if I wanted to.

I'm cruising on the Sky in April, and I got an email stating that any Excursion in Havana need to be booked at least 3 days prior to cruise sailing date. Is this true? I hadn't heard anybody mention it. I was told I'd be able to get off the boat and hop on a tour bus if I wanted to.

We are on the Sky April 30 to Cuba and have not gotten any email yet; however we do have all of our tours prebooked through NCL already.

We are on the Sky April 30 to Cuba and have not gotten any email yet; however we do have all of our tours prebooked through NCL already.

On the Sun end of May... why did you book thru the Ship and what are you doing?

Just curious...

Here's the whole email, seems like maybe it's only if booking directly through NCL.

Dear Valued Guest,

We’re excited you’re sailing with us during our first season in Cuba. Please take time to read the following information so you can make the most of your time in legendary Havana.

As a reminder, you can travel to Cuba under the people-to-people authorized travel category under the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). To do so, you must maintain a full-time schedule of educational exchange activities intended to enhance contact with the Cubanpeople.

You are required to self certify that your activities meet these requirements and also to retain records of your activities for a period of 5 years. If you have not yet submitted your certification form, you must complete and send it to Norwegian within 48 hours before your departure date.

Norwegian gives you the option of fulfilling your OFAC requirements through our diverse selection of Havana shore excursions. Tours must be booked no later than 3 days prior to sailing. Tour availability is not guaranteed on board.

Benefits to pre-booking Havana excursions through Norwegian:

• All tours are OFAC compliant
  • Priority disembarkation in Havana
  • Space confirmed prior to sailing

Learn more about our available Havana shore excursions.. And for more information about your upcoming visit to Cuba, check out our FAQs. We look forward to welcoming you on board!

Again, thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line.

On the Sun end of May... why did you book thru the Ship and what are you doing?

Just curious...

We are doing the old Havana walking tour in the morning and Tropicana that night. Then the next day we are doing Mediterráneo Havana the farm to table excursion. We also hope to just walk around on our own a bit after our Old Havana tour. We chose to do ship excursions because that way we don’t have to worry about our tours being in compliance with USA rules. I know some will say we are silly for paying the cruise line when we could do things less expensive, but I like the peace of mind that comes with NCL especially for our Cuba trip. We love a stress free vacation as much as possible.

We are doing the old Havana walking tour in the morning and Tropicana that night. Then the next day we are doing Mediterráneo Havana the farm to table excursion. We also hope to just walk around on our own a bit after our Old Havana tour. We chose to do ship excursions because that way we don’t have to worry about our tours being in compliance with USA rules. I know some will say we are silly for paying the cruise line when we could do things less expensive, but I like the peace of mind that comes with NCL especially for our Cuba trip. We love a stress free vacation as much as possible.

Thanks! Makes perfect sense....

Same discussion on HAL board today. I'm thinking US must have tightened rules regarding visiting Cuba.

I am in contact with a "private" tour operator and on the facebook page he said to make sure you check "support for the Cuban people" and you can do private tours... from an email:

Since you will be traveling under certain restrictions ,you will have to use "supporting the Cuban people" that way will be able to do a private tour (with us) to support Cuban private entrepreneurs.You can also get a copy of the itinerary from Facebook:"Blexie-Havana Tours".

I am in contact with a "private" tour operator and on the facebook page he said to make sure you check "support for the Cuban people" and you can do private tours... from an email:

Since you will be traveling under certain restrictions ,you will have to use "supporting the Cuban people" that way will be able to do a private tour (with us) to support Cuban private entrepreneurs.You can also get a copy of the itinerary from Facebook:"Blexie-Havana Tours".

I am using Blexie tours too, I marked support the cuban people and people to people on the form...

I am using Blexie tours too, I marked support the cuban people and people to people on the form...

The Blexie tour seems significantly cheaper than anything through NCL. Private car and driver for up to 3 people for 130CUC (that is total right, not per person?)

NCL tours are like 100 bucks per person and not on a private tour. Am I seeing this right?

Edit - It looks like they only pick you up at Varadero Resort, which is far from the cruise terminal??

The Blexie tour seems significantly cheaper than anything through NCL. Private car and driver for up to 3 people for 130CUC (that is total right, not per person?)

NCL tours are like 100 bucks per person and not on a private tour. Am I seeing this right?

Edit - It looks like they only pick you up at Varadero Resort, which is far from the cruise terminal??

I was told that once you exited the terminal area they will be across the street with a sign.... your name will be on the sign!

We asked if we could change the tour a bit and received an email saying "of course!"... he further stated it's your private tour and can be changed anyway you want.

I was told that once you exited the terminal area they will be across the street with a sign.... your name will be on the sign!

We asked if we could change the tour a bit and received an email saying "of course!"... he further stated it's your private tour and can be changed anyway you want.

His price is per car so you can have several people for the one price and he will take you where ever you want to go for the 6 hours that you have hired him for. I have a list of places :)

His price is per car so you can have several people for the one price and he will take you where ever you want to go for the 6 hours that you have hired him for. I have a list of places :)

Do you contact him through facebook to get a list of places, or does he have a website as well?

Requirements for visiting Cuba are that it must have some social benefit. Early booking allows the cruise line to show that people are doing events that meet the minimum qualifications.

As a side note, you may be audited and have to prove that visits to Cuba did have educational or social benefits if that was the listed reason for your visit. Long before this trips to Cuba were often done for medical/humanitarian reasons, and audits verified that the person visiting met minimum standards for the visit.

I was there in May 2017, and of course, that was 'before the change'. But it isn't so much as getting an excursion cheaper .... it IS about getting the $$ into the hands/pockets of the Cuban people. When you see how desperately it is needed, you'll understand.

It has been said here on CC that people have been free to disembark the ship and do private tours even after Trump's changes.

We are also taking a NCL cruise to Cuba, but not until June. I have been looking at excursions, but wasn't sure about the ones offered. Does anyone have suggestions?

Yes ... OldCarTours.com. They are a wonderful, privately/people owned & operated tour company. Ask for guides Nacho or Yasser. I was a solo female cruiser last May, 2017 and they were the best. LOVED my cars ('54 Red/White Buick and '52 Pink Chevy).

I've got a multiple part question. First of all and maybe most simply is related to the Blexie tour. I think I have booked the 6 hour Blexie tour. First, is 6 hours too long for a tour of Havana, will we keep busy that whole time? Also I'm curious about the booking process with Blexie. I told him that my gf and I want to book a tour with him, and he replied "okay great, booked. We will meet you at this place with a sign with your name." He didn't ask for any personal info, credit card, etc. Is this how it went with other people?

My second question is about if we should switch from Blexie to oldcartours.com. I see I have many more options here, related to time of the tour, where it goes, the car we choose (less important). My gf and I don't really have any knowledge of Havana or Cuba, so we don't really know what we want. I think we're looking for a tour that gives us a good overview of everything Havana/Cuba has to offer. Neither of us are artsy fartsy so it would be nice maybe to see some art, and the Hemingway house, but we don't need to spend hours learning about either. We'd like it to be more "fun" I guess. Should we pick one of the specific tours like the Hemingway, Varadero, etc, or should we just do the 2 or 3 hour city tour. Regardless of what we choose, can we kind of tell our driver what we're looking for, and if we find a beach or shopping place we like can we stay there longer?

Edited by skronzek

I've got a multiple part question. First of all and maybe most simply is related to the Blexie tour. I think I have booked the 6 hour Blexie tour. First, is 6 hours too long for a tour of Havana, will we keep busy that whole time? Also I'm curious about the booking process with Blexie. I told him that my gf and I want to book a tour with him, and he replied "okay great, booked. We will meet you at this place with a sign with your name." He didn't ask for any personal info, credit card, etc. Is this how it went with other people?

My second question is about if we should switch from Blexie to oldcartours.com. I see I have many more options here, related to time of the tour, where it goes, the car we choose (less important). My gf and I don't really have any knowledge of Havana or Cuba, so we don't really know what we want. I think we're looking for a tour that gives us a good overview of everything Havana/Cuba has to offer. Neither of us are artsy fartsy so it would be nice maybe to see some art, and the Hemingway house, but we don't need to spend hours learning about either. We'd like it to be more "fun" I guess. Should we pick one of the tours like the Hemingway, Varadero, etc, or should we just do the 2 or 3 hour city tour. Regardless of what we choose, can we kind of tell our driver what we're looking for, and if we find a shopping place we like can we stay there longer?

Are you from the U.S.? If so, he would not have asked for credit card information because credit cards are not accepted.