Limit on # of water BOTTLES allowed on board?

On a recent NCL sailing out of NYC I was told that I couldn't bring the two empty water battles I had in my bag. I said that restriction only applied to bottles with liquid, not empty bottles. They then said I could only take one bottle on.

At that point I was more interested in getting my full bottle of bourbon on board instead of my empty water bottle, so made nice with security and I gave up one of them, but surely this is a misinterpretation of NCL's rules by local security staff, right?

As far as I’m aware there is no official policy regarding empty bottles. It seems odd to have a restriction, but I think that I recall others saying that they had problems.

Rather than it being a misinterpretation of the official policy, I think it’s a case of make something up because there is no actual policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a recent NCL sailing out of NYC I was told that I couldn't bring the two empty water battles I had in my bag. I said that restriction only applied to bottles with liquid, not empty bottles. They then said I could only take one bottle on.

At that point I was more interested in getting my full bottle of bourbon on board instead of my empty water bottle, so made nice with security and I gave up one of them, but surely this is a misinterpretation of NCL's rules by local security staff, right?

You can ask to speak to the security supervisor and clarify that empty water bottles are not banned on NCL cruises. They must state in writing the rule that empty bottles are not allowed.

Can't bring water any more. Only if it's needed for medical devices or infant formula. I always buy a case ahead of time and have it waiting for me in the room.

The OP is talking about bringing two EMPTY bottles aboard.

Bourbon ... rum runner? We use a red herrring for football games. Security tends to stop searching after they find something so we stick an obvious beer in the pocket while keeping a flask on the hip. Throw a little drama in and they wave you through after taking the beer. Note, TSA doesn’t play that game ... they find something and keep searching for more, which is what should be done.

Oh Dave, I didn't know you were a booze smuggler. I sure hope that NCL doesn't see this and start checking your luggage more thoroughly in the future.

Right, because NCL cross references their booking info with the login names on CruiseCritic.

Yeah, you're probably right. :rolleyes: There is no way that NCL could ever see through your clever screen name.

Two weeks ago in Miami we got through security with two 2-liter bottles of seltzer and a 6-pack of diet ginger ale in our carry-on. No one blinked or said a word to us.

We have a liquid policy exemption, but I was still surprised that I didn't have to go through a song-and-dance with security like I did last year.

Like most things with traveling, I think it all comes down to luck.