Why do some ships become cult classics while others don't?

Does anyone else notice this? Anyone who has been on CC for any length of time will see recurring posts about Adventure of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas. I've been on both, and honestly I couldn't really tell the difference between the 2. I would add Anthem to that group. I find RC to be extremely consistent across the board. So, what makes a ship a "cult classic"?

I felt like that about the Sovereign. Hated the Majesty. Sovereign just had a different feel to her from the moment you arrived in the terminal. I really do think it was the crew and homeport. Same with the Enchantment and Grandeur. Loved the Enchantment hated the Grandeur.

It's funny because my mom is a huge NCL fan. She is currently waiting to board on NCL in Tampa and have a miserable experience right now :( On the same ship her and I did out of NYC.

I think it's more of the vibe vs the ship itself that draws people a certain way.

I felt like that about the Sovereign. Hated the Majesty. Sovereign just had a different feel to her from the moment you arrived in the terminal. I really do think it was the crew and homeport. Same with the Enchantment and Grandeur. Loved the Enchantment hated the Grandeur.

It's funny because my mom is a huge NCL fan. She is currently waiting to board on NCL in Tampa and have a miserable experience right now :( On the same ship her and I did out of NYC.

I think it's more of the vibe vs the ship itself that draws people a certain way.

As other's said Crew can really make a cruise. But agree, when on Sovereign 30 yrs ago was the biggest cruise ship on the seas holding over 2000 passengers when all others around held only 300-800. Was something looking down on the Love Boat size ships. All their passengers all looking at us... In 1990's-early 2000's did many cruises on Grandeur and Enchantment, both had all that glass in open Centrum then, they added all the those extra cabins. But agree Enchantment had a better vibe, was first Royal ship I saw start having families/kids onboard. Not sure if it was she also did the shorter 7 nite cruises and Grandeur was doing the 10-11 nite ones.

A popular itinerary can help, or a distinctive feature, such as being first in a new class. It changes with time. A few years back seemed like Freedom of the Seas was talked up a lot and Liberty seldom mentioned; nowadays Liberty out of Galveston is popular on this forum. Perhaps the different port was a factor, the addition of water slides... The Adventure of the Seas southern Caribbean itinerary was a good one.

Richard.

I would add Anthem to that group.

I’m not 100% certain what the OP means (I probably see more posts about Oasis class ships vs Mariner and Adventure.)

But, I do see a lot about Anthem. But I never thought they were “cultish”, but rather due to the fact that (1) it’s the only ship of its class in the US and (2) it’s out of a non-Florida port. It opens up more cruisers from the north who don’t/can’t make the trip down south. Maybe proximity makes it a favorite for some, but I don’t see anything strange about it.