Playlist Productions .... Are the performers actually singing?

stevefrisco

I have seen many different playlist production shows lately due to cruising with people who are newer cruisers. It seems like they almost always sound the same. They performers are all gifted dancers and actors but I was just curious, are they actually singing? I'm not asking this to be hateful, I am genuinely curious. I go to a lot of shows and concerts at home and often wonder about some of the larger productions. For instance, I am reasonably sure Lana Del Rey was actually singing but when I saw Poppy it seemed like there was some sort of track with her on some songs. Rappers almost always seem to have some sort of assistance as well. Rock musicians seem to actually be singing but I've often wondered if they are really playing their instruments.

Just curious how all that works.

The shows I have seen are typical of theme park productions. The music is prerecorded and the lyrics are live through mic's on the performers head and a wireless pack on their belt usually hidden. The actors rehearse for several shows before opening aboard. They do the same shows many times and become quite practiced at following the music.

Like most other productions, it is mixed. I was on the Splendor a couple years ago and there was a fire somewhere--when the alarm went off, the show stopped, or at least the performers did, but the "singing" continued, lol.

I would guess that it's a combination of the two. During the 88 keys performance last week the dancer clearly missed one of his spoken lines and was out of sync with the recording briefly.

Interesting. The guy supposedly playing the piano during the show is actually not playing it.

The two leads sing for every show. Usually two more are [emoji441] ‘d up and sing. The key is do they have a solo part or parts. Rarely will you see more than four.

The entire production is backed by a digital track complete with light programming. In pre-computer days the tech crew moved lights to where performers are. Now you will see groups of lights all on a DMX system and only spots are man operated. Much of the show the performers move to where the lights are.

The LED moving panels are cool too but even as a techie I still liked the full orchestra.

Here in Galveston we had that right up to the Triumph.

Take the backstage tour aboard a ship. Part of the tour involves the theatre. You can also talk to the tech crew post show.

I lead a tech team for a large church and it’s a geeks dream to manage lights, audio and media.

We did the Behind the Fun tour last year on the Magic.

The Performers are all required to sing every show UNLESS they have a sore throat, cold, etc. Then their part which is pre-recorded for that instance, and is used. The performers are not allowed to do this very often, and it is noted on their record.

I think in past years, when Playlist first started, the parts were all recorded and played regardless, but it showed. Now the singers are all singing unless sick.

Interesting perspectives everyone, thanks! Also as an aside, I went to a meet and greet in the Piano Bar with the entertainers and they definitely can sing accompanied by a piano! I think a few needed help with the words due to not being American but very impressed with vocal ranges and ability to jump in on the spot and sing requests.