On Line Check In

mafig

I have a cruise booked on Seaside in July.

I've been putting off doing the on line check in because of problems people have experienced with the MSC site.

However, since I'm 4 months away, I'm getting close to the time.

When do you guys usually do it?

:)

I've been putting off doing the on line check in because of problems people have experienced with the MSC site.

you should do it not earlier then 20 days before cruise

Why? What would be the downside of just doing it and getting it out of the way?

Because that a policy on all cruise lines plus cruise must be paid in full. Same way you can only register online 24 hours before your flight not 6 month before.

Because that a policy on all cruise lines plus cruise must be paid in full. Same way you can only register online 24 hours before your flight not 6 month before.

Well, lets be honest here. IF that were the policy on all cruise lines, this entire topic would be rendered moot because you wouldn't even be able to register online earlier than 20 days.

I can tell you that that just isn't the case.

I have two upcoming cruises, one on Norwegian in November 2019, and another on MSC in March of 2019. I have completed online check-in for BOTH cruises already. Were there a policy, that wouldn't be possible.

Now, of course, edocs for both cruises will not be available until closer to the time of the cruise. However, registering online and getting edocs are obviously not the same thing.

BTW...you don't register online for a flight, you check-in 24 hours beforehand. You are registered when you buy the ticket.

Further...

Just checked. When I booked the MSC cruise, they sent me an email confirmation which said:

THANK YOU FOR BOOKING WITH MSC CRUISES

YOUR BOOKING CONFIRMATION IS HERE!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises for your next cruise experience. Please find attached your booking confirmation.

We strongly advise all of our guests to complete our web check-in as soon as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you on board soon!

MSC Cruises

If their policy was for you to wait, I doubt they would "strongly advise all of our guests to complete our web check-in as soon as possible".

Well, lets be honest here. IF that were the policy on all cruise lines, this entire topic would be rendered moot because you wouldn't even be able to register online earlier than 20 days.

I can tell you that that just isn't the case.

I have two upcoming cruises, one on Norwegian in November 2019, and another on MSC in March of 2019. I have completed online check-in for BOTH cruises already. Were there a policy, that wouldn't be possible.

Now, of course, edocs for both cruises will not be available until closer to the time of the cruise. However, registering online and getting edocs are obviously not the same thing.

BTW...you don't register online for a flight, you check-in 24 hours beforehand. You are registered when you buy the ticket.

You can call it whatever you want . I am happy NCL let you register for some reason for cruise you may not even go, but there is no reason or point to do so . I don't know what is NCL policy I will not cruise with them even for free .

I just checked my May booking and no problem to put information . e-tickets 20 days before sailing. No problem for my Dec booking on Seaside as well.

Edited by GOLDENBONNY

You can call it whatever you want . I am happy NCL let you register for some reason for cruise you may not even go, but there is no reason or point to do so . I don't know what is NCL policy I will not cruise with them even for free .

There actually IS "a reason or point" to register early...just to a) get it out of the way and/or b) avoid a problem later if there is a technical issue with their computer, your computer, or the connection that would interfere with the registration. It is just common sense. Why wait till the last minute when there are so many other (more important) things that will need to be done at that time?

My concern is in your stating that you can't sign in more than 20 days before your cruise and that this is a cruise line policy. I know that you CAN sign in much earlier and since you are now saying you don't even know NCL's policy, I think it is misleading to state that it is a policy among all cruise lines when it obviously is not.

There would have been nothing wrong in saying "Personally, I wait until 20 days prior before registering when I cruise. However, you can choose to register whenever it is convenient for you." We should not be providing misinformation by claiming the existence of fictitious policies.

Registering amounts to making sure you address is correct, have an emergency contact and you have your passport details entered. Better to make sure all this info is correct earlier rather than later. Princess for example already prefills all these details in for me, all I have to do is double check the info is still correct. I have already completed my online checkin for my May Seaside cruise. Disney has been the only line so far that didn't allow you to do it too early.

MSC Essentially states that the documents are not available only 20 days before sailing, which I have had before that time frame too. They tend to become available after final payment and when the web checkin is complete.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

When we cruised with Viking in 2016 we did our online check-in straightaway. The ship's passenger manifest would be generated from these details which have to match your passport and include your emergency contact person. Why wait when you can do this simple chore early on?

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Forums mobile app

You are totally wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry? You are contradicting what our experience had been for ACTUAL cruises we have already taken? Our next cruise is MSC Preziosa in August 2018 and we have already completed online check-in. As I previously posted this is the same as we experienced in 2016 with Viking Ocean Cruises. Online check-in can be completed BEFORE full payment but AFTER first deposit in our experience. We checked in online more than 6 months before each cruise...

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone.

I'll do it next week.

I usually do it around final payment for most cruise lines.

Once, on Princess, my information kept disappearing and I had to keep re-entering it, till finally they had to do it for me.

With MSC being the way they are I'm afraid that once I do it I'll be checking every day to make sure it's still there.

:rolleyes:

I have been trying to do the Web check in for our May Seaside cruise with varying success. Had to use Chrome to enter the info since it kept disappearing via Safari. Kept getting many versions of eDocs every time i could save one more piece of info even though they said they wouldn't be available until 20 days prior.

Question for those who have completed the web checkin/received eDocs. No guidance as to what to put into place of birth. Are they looking for the town, town/state, just country? They indicate it is a mandatory field on the eDOCs. Also saw that the eDocs don't include a value for "State". I remember that the profile autofilled this, but it doesn't come through into the eDocs. Not a mandatory field, so not overly concerned, just wondered if anyone else had this same issue.

I have been trying to do the Web check in for our May Seaside cruise with varying success. Had to use Chrome to enter the info since it kept disappearing via Safari. Kept getting many versions of eDocs every time i could save one more piece of info even though they said they wouldn't be available until 20 days prior.

Question for those who have completed the web checkin/received eDocs. No guidance as to what to put into place of birth. Are they looking for the town, town/state, just country? They indicate it is a mandatory field on the eDOCs. Also saw that the eDocs don't include a value for "State". I remember that the profile autofilled this, but it doesn't come through into the eDocs. Not a mandatory field, so not overly concerned, just wondered if anyone else had this same issue.

"Place of Birth" is a field on your Passport. You should enter exactly what is printed on the Passport.

Hi,

Completed on line check in this weekend for our May 12 cruise and my e-docs were available to print within a few minutes of submitting my check in data. All set but the packing:) I also was able to upload MSC fro ME, so I really am all set:)

We sail May 19th, my mom updated her passport details last night. Received e-docs this morning. Our check in time is listed as 1 pm, however our flight gets us into Ft. Lauderdale around 9:30 that morning so we will be a tad early.

Only part of check in we didn't do was the photo upload.

Yup....Very smooth process. For all the negativity about their website....The check-in process was very smooth and I like they email you your doc's unlike the other lines which you have to choose and print!!