Question about going ashore in Caribbean and States

just been looking at some cruise compasses for Harmony in the Caribbean. We are on HOTS July 19, and I see that you need your cruise card and photo ID to get on and off. As we are British we don’t normally carry photo ID with us, and I’m not overly keen on taking passports ashore with us in case they are lost. Will our UK photo driving licences suffice?

Thanks

Martin

just been looking at some cruise compasses for Harmony in the Caribbean. We are on HOTS July 19, and I see that you need your cruise card and photo ID to get on and off. As we are British we don’t normally carry photo ID with us, and I’m not overly keen on taking passports ashore with us in case they are lost. Will our UK photo driving licences suffice?

Thanks

Martin

Most likely, they are just looking for something official with your photo. This is for port security, not ship security, because the port security people do not have access to your photo stored in the ship's database.

I’m a bit confused as you say you don’t normally carry photo ID...but your drivers licence IS photo ID. I’d suggest the most common form of photo ID

Does photo ID have some different meaning in the UK?

I’m a bit confused as you say you don’t normally carry photo ID...but your drivers licence IS photo ID. I’d suggest the most common form of photo ID

Does photo ID have some different meaning in the UK?

Photos IDs in the U.K. are not mandatory so many don’t carry any around with them. I do mostly carry my driving license with me but my wife doesn’t.

Thanks

Martin

Yes photo driving licence is fine. Mind you we've only ever been asked for it in San Juan

Sent from my SGP312 using Forums mobile app

Photos IDs in the U.K. are not mandatory so many don’t carry any around with them. I do mostly carry my driving license with me but my wife doesn’t.

But your driver's license has your photo on it, right?

Even if she doesn't usually carry it, since you know this now, she can just bring it on the cruise.

"Now You Know."

:)

This won't work for a proper ID, but we are always fearful of our passports being stolen or getting left by the ship, so we take a photo of our passports on our iphones....so if we are ever left by the ship, we at least have a picture of our passports with us.

Like I said, that won't work for proper ID.

You should ALWAYS have ID on you...especially when you're in a place where NO ONE knows you! Your ship card tells emergency help NOTHING. Bring your DL...it's fine for "ID" purposes! You won't need to bring the whole passport ashore. Your DL is the same size as your ship's card.