Trying to decide between montego bay/cayman and belize/costa maya

k_y30

Me and the GF went on a cruise to m-bay/cayman back in october and did not have the best time. We stayed on the boat in m-bay because we had heard MANY horror stories about Jamaica (and actually had a really nice time on the serenity deck all by ourselves... we hung out in the hot tub during a wonderful Caribbean shower) and when the throngs of people started flooding back to the ship in an hour and complaining about how aggressive the locals were, we decided we made the right decision. We wound up having bad weather for GC and couldnt get off the boat until Cozumel so we overall just felt VERY cooped up and didnt have the best cruise. We want to try to do a do-over with a ship sponsored excursion to keep the locals at bay.

Basically, people who have been to belize/costa maya and montego bay/GC, what are some pro's and cons of each? Which one would you prefer and why? I really want to try jamaica again but I still definitely worry about the locals. We'd want to definitely do something with water (not some sightseeing tour). I hear belize/CM is more about seeing ruins and stuff. Anyway, any input would be great!

I don't care for Jamaica. I find the locals too pushy.

I like Grand Cayman and if you like beaches and snorkeling great opportunities there plus at the tender drop off plenty of places to have lunch and/or drinks.

I like Costa Maya for the area at the pier. It is nicely done with a beautiful pool and places to eat and shop.

Keith

I don't care for Jamaica. I find the locals too pushy.

I like Grand Cayman and if you like beaches and snorkeling great opportunities there plus at the tender drop off plenty of places to have lunch and/or drinks.

I like Costa Maya for the area at the pier. It is nicely done with a beautiful pool and places to eat and shop.

Keith

Is the pier area nicer than the one at Cozumel? Cozumel seems to be the nicest port area we've been to. Thanks for the great reply btw !

I hope the photos helped give you a feel for some of the things at the port area (five minute walk) at Costa Maya.

Keith

Definitely does! Helps so much more than anything else i've found!

We liked Belize very much, we did a full day tour to the Mayan site of Lamanai. A nice boat ride to the site and the Mayan temples are amazing. I recommend booking this through the ship as it’s a long day and you need the guaranty return. We were first off and last on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

We've been to Costa Maya and Belize several times, and Grand Cayman once.

The 'Cruise Bubble' pictured is actually pretty nice- but we wouldn't personally spend our time there. We like to get out and do things. The ruins that you can reach from Costa Maya are pretty far away by bus, and less developed sites, so they aren't as inspiring as some others you can see. We do like to go to Majajual the little beach town just south of the port at CM, and you take a fun safari bus there for a few bucks. We pre-booked at one of the restaurants and had beach chairs, a shade umbrella and great beach access right there, it was a great day. When we wanted lunch, they just set us up at a table. This was probably a middle priced option. There were cheaper clubs that we spoke to some younger couples that they really enjoyed, and they were thrilled to get a killer deal. I do love those flamingos in the Cruise Bubble though.

Belize- you just have to book an excursion and get out of Belize City. This is a port that I recommend doing ship excursions, mostly because some of the activities are not close to the port. You're looking at another long bus ride, but the ruins are better. We've been to Xunantunich, and Lamanai- both are interesting sites. Lamanai you take a bus then a boat to get to, which is fun. But it's LONG. Don't try this on an independent tour. The food in Belize is unexceptional compared to Mexico in general though. For better beaches, you'll have to get out to one of the Cayes, either by ferry from Belize City or on a ship excursion. It's also big on those adventure excursions.

Grand Cayman- it's great if you want to go play with the stingrays on one of those tours. I do agree that of these stops, it probably has the best snorkeling options- Belize is good, but better in the southern part of the country or out off of one of the Cayes.

For ALL of the excursions- read the fine print. Do the math to find out how long the bus ride is. Don't book multiple tours with those long rides, you'll get annoyed real quick. All of the tour descriptions really do tell you everything you need to know, but it's all hidden in the way that they present it. Like a 10 Hour Tour that includes a 1 hour boat ride, lunch, shopping stop, round trip motor coach, and 2.5 hours at the ruin means you get a 2.5 hour each way bus ride. This is why we never recommend Tulum as an excursion from Cozumel, by the way- it's a gorgeous site, but a pain to get to from the island.

And I also fall into the 'Jamaica's not my thing' crowd. Headed there in Dec. w a port stop in Falmouth, but it's a good possibility we won't make it farther than the Margaritaville.

• 1 month later...