Condition of Paseo de la Princessa and Paseo del Morro

cltnccruisers

We left San Juan yesterday and it was still closed. There are still some massive waves crashing at the entrance to the channel. I think it will be a long while before they reopen. The massive black rocks that were all along the waterline were tossed up to the walkway. There is significant damage to the walkway itself as well as the rails. I am hoping the cats that live along the walkway are okay.

Paseo de la Princessa was mostly trashed by the huge swells and waves crashing into it from the "Raices" Fountain all the way to the red San Juan Gate. Taking current economic conditions in PR, I'm guessing it will be a few months until they are able to repair it and reopen it.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/videos/noticias/locales/impresionanteazotealpaseolaprincesa-245707/

By the day the video was shot, the worst of the event had passed but you can still see how big the waves are 36 hours past peak strength.

https://www.metro.pr/pr/noticias/2018/03/05/causa-estragos-fuerte-oleaje-paseo-la-princesa.html

http://www.noticel.com/galeria/daos-graves-al-paseo-de-la-princesa-por-olas-histricas/711526943

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to come back to this thread to state that PRH had either given out faulty information or that it had changed by April 4th.

On that day, the plaza at the end of Paseo de la Princessa was closed off with hard barricades and the Paseo del Morro was closed off at the Fort and from both directions at the San Juan gate. We tried to get onto the Paseos multiple times to walk up to El Morro and kept having to double back up and down hills.

Turned a 15 minute walk into a nearly 45 minute expedition. On the plus side, we got a good walking tour of Old San Juan in. Just passing along if anyone else was wondering. As of 4/4/18, both areas were still closed for repairs.

sorry to hear that. We were renting bikes on the 21st to ride around before our cruise left and wanted to head over there. I'm sure I will find other places to go but sad that this is not available.

I would still head over if it is not too much of an imposition because things could certainly change by then. It could be changed now for all I know since my information is almost a week old.