Travel Insurance recommendations

TroubleT

We found GENERALI Travel Insurance on the comparison site Insure My Trip. Their website https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html has plans with the highest medical coverages. But they pay your medical claims at their hospital so we did not have to submit a claim. Their assistance hotline directed us to their hospital and we never paid anything.

RE: cruise line insurance--I would not buy. Its limited to trip components that you buy from Celebrity--so if you buy your air or pre post cruise hotel, rental car, etc not from Celebrity, its not covered. Its usually more expensive. Its usually lower coverage amounts.

Good to shop around, from what I understand policy "provisions" can vary state-to-state so it is worth it to take the time to read the policy.

Our main focus is emergency evacuation coverage, as well as supplementing medical coverage (since our domestic insurance policies do not provide coverage outside the US).

We have recently started using Nationwide. One item that was unique / beneficial was the impact of Hurricane Irma and provision for itinerary change - pre-departure. Celebrity changed our itinerary from Key West to Jamaica one week before the cruise. The policy had a provision that if the itinerary was change before departure we received reimbursement of $750 pp ($1,500). Great surprise.

It is worth it to do your research and compare the policy provisions. Also focus on timing of when things have to be paid, etc.

If I am not mistaken, there are a couple of articles on the Cruise Critic main sight you might want to look at.

Happy sailing.

• 2 weeks later...
We had to use the cruise protection plan that Celebrity offered through AON. They emailed a link to the forms that had to be filled out, including a two page form for the doctor. They were simple to fill out and we had our refund within 30 days, although they have 60 days to respond.

One thing to remember when insuring with a cruise line's insurance is that you MAY not be covered when you leave the ship unless you are a cruise line excursion. If you plan your own, and (god forbid) are in a car accident while touring, the cruise line's insurance MAY not cover you. Check carefully.

Jim

We do as well. The Chase Saphire Reserve and Bank of America Premium credit cards have trip insurance included, so long as you pay 100% with them. They won't cover the pre/post cruise activity, but not a bad backup.

Chase will cover the pre and post if you pay for it with their card.

This is useful info but for those readers not from the US, it also pays to shop around in your home country for a top-up policy as what is available form private insurance varies widely from what the basic coverage under medicare /public health insurance for international travel.

Be safe !

See Travel Insurance Primer for Cruise Travelers and the Cruise Insurance forum.

For my last cruise as well as my upcoming cruise, I have used Allianz as offered through AAA which includes a $500K emergency medical transportation coverage which is my biggest concern, and I always have purchased the travel insurance within 24 hours of purchasing the cruise. The general consensus is that the policy offered by the cruise lines is inferior to the policy offered by third party providers, and is usually secondary coverage.

We had to use the cruise protection plan that Celebrity offered through AON. They emailed a link to the forms that had to be filled out, including a two page form for the doctor. They were simple to fill out and we had our refund within 30 days, although they have 60 days to respond.

We also had Celebrity Insurance when my wife broke her ankle in Rhodes Greece. When we finally arrived home she developed blood clots in her legs and was in the hospital for five days. We had bills from Turkey for a Doctor visit, the ship charges and the Hospital, over $16,000. AON had a check in our hands in less than three weeks without a hassle. Great service from AON and Celebrity. The ships crew was wonderfully accommodating and went an extra mile to insure her comfort (even at the Martini Bar)

Aon does not underwrite the Celebrity Cruise Care insurance anymore. And medical is ONLY covered up to $10K. https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-insurance

I guess I am a lair. Of course I didn't add what other expenses where covered like flying home after the accident or some medical covered by our insurance here in the states. AON paid us $16k pure and simple.

Why do some many people jump at the chance to correct something they no nothing about. jkgourmet, should I post our settlement statement for you...............

It is very useful to know that the company you had such great service from, no longer provides coverage.

There is a general consensus that there are much better options for insurance coverage and value outside of that which is offered from the cruiselines. They are third party sellers and the profit goes to the insurance company, the cruiseline, and frequently the TA. That being said, it doesn't mean that they can't or don't provide good service, just that you can do better elsewhere.

There is a general consensus that there are much better options for insurance coverage and value outside of that which is offered from the cruiselines. They are third party sellers and the profit goes to the insurance company, the cruiseline, and frequently the TA. That being said, it doesn't mean that they can't or don't provide good service, just that you can do better elsewhere.

I agree but this also varies by demographics and at times the cruise line is the less expensive option. Everyone should check, as I have also used Insure my Trip at times.

I travel frequently and only interested in covering medical and evacuation. I have an annual policy with GeoBlu. Has worked well. Only you know what you want so check insuremytrip.com for policies.

We also have a GeoBlu and like the app.

Joe

I used World Nomads in the past. On our tahiti cruise I developed a gallbladder infection and spent a couple of nights in the infirmary getting antibiotics and pain medicine. The cost was $5000. We also had to change flights and $100% was paid by World Nomads within a couple of weeks. We were also reimbursed by our medical insurance so sent the check back to World Nomads. They are extremely reasonably priced and if you get the adventurers package and spend under $10,000 for the trip all the other coverage, medical, evacuation and other is excellent. We now have the Reserve Chase card and it covers 100% if used when purchasing.

I think it's always best to speak to a live professional so they can help determine the best policy for your specific needs for each trip. We have always used The Trip Insurance Store...Steve or one of his associates are just amazing and couldn't be more helpful.

Check out their website and then call them.

www.thetripinsurancestore.com

(888) 407-3854

Another thumbs-up for Steve and his excellent staff. We've always just taken the path of least resistance: insurance through the cruise line -- which we've never needed to use (thank goodness). But last year, we we got bitten by the "Smooth Jazz Cruise" bug. When I started researching how charter cruises differ from 'regular' cruises, the best advice I got was to purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance, as soon as you put down a deposit. For charters, you start making payments early, and absolutely everything is non-refundable. Steve and his capable staff walked us through the process, and got us the best policy for our situation. Later, when we purchased airfare, they were also able to add that to our coverage, for not too much more $$. My plan is to use Tripinsurancestore for all of our future travel! :cool:

FWIW - Geo Blue evacuation coverage transports you to the nearest qualified facility (not home).

If anyone is looking for evacuation coverage that will get you home (if you are stable to be transported), take a look at MedJet Assist. We purchased an annual policy. Along with our Chase Sapphire coverage, we are all set, at a lower cost.

Of course everyone's needs are different and we do not need additional medical coverage if we are abroad.

For Canadians, I recommend RBC Travel Insurance (and I dont' even bank with them!). I buy the annual family plan so we are covered one year at a time. It is very reasonable, and I like the annual renewal process. We've only ever had to use the insurance once, and they were very easy to deal with. Our claim wasn't much (just a few hundred dollars) but it was paid out quickly.

I am never, ever, going to use Travel Guard (AIG), through Costco travel again. I recently had to file a claim due to a medical issue and wanted to rebook for a later date. Called and asked the best way to handle it. Rep. said I could rebook through Costco and then file a claim. After the claim was filed, they denied because I didn't cancel the trip first and then rebook. I think I got bad advice and now I cannot afford the rescheduled trip and am out thousands. They pulled the recordings of my phone calls and found a "loophole" not to pay this claim. I would NEVER use them again and are warning anyone to be cautious because they will find any small thing to deny a claim.

I am never, ever, going to use Travel Guard (AIG), through Costco travel again. I recently had to file a claim due to a medical issue and wanted to rebook for a later date. Called and asked the best way to handle it. Rep. said I could rebook through Costco and then file a claim. After the claim was filed, they denied because I didn't cancel the trip first and then rebook. I think I got bad advice and now I cannot afford the rescheduled trip and am out thousands. They pulled the recordings of my phone calls and found a "loophole" not to pay this claim. I would NEVER use them again and are warning anyone to be cautious because they will find any small thing to deny a claim.

If they have those recordings, then you should discuss this with Costco because they gave you the apparently incorrect information. Many, if not most insurance companies will reject any claim if it is not absolutely obvious. In your case, you followed the advice of your travel agent who was selling you the insurance. Irrespective of everyone's fine print, either AIG and/or Costco owes you some compensation.

Follow rule #1....get everything in writing...no phone calls unless they are documented in writing.

I would write a clear, short as possible, non emotional letter (not email...certified US postal service certified mail) to both AIG/travel guard and Costco Travel summarizing your purchase of insurance, your medical claim, your movement of the cruise to another cruise based on the TA's advice, and AIG's response....and asking once again that your claim be paid. If they continue to refuse to pay or ignore your letter, then write a second letter requesting a copy or transcript of the conversations they say they have reviewed.

Wait for a written response...if they try to answer you over the phone, ask them to document their response in writing.

If they continue to refuse to pay, I'd contact Steve at theinsurancestore and even though you didn't purchase insurance through them, ask if they could refer you to a lawyer experienced in travel insurance claims. If that fails, use google and get a lawyer involved.

It sounds like you ultimately will be compensated, but it may take some time. The insurance companies like to think that if they refuse a claim, you will go away mad...but you will go away. Don't fall into that trap....hang in there.

I agree with most if not all of GHStudio's comments. If you don't mind sharing the details, what was it about the phone calls that set up the "gotcha" for the insurance company? This may have been Travel Guard in your case, but it might be useful to all of us to know what they claim you said or didn't say that set up their defense to coverage.

I have never had a major travel insurance claim like the cancellation of a cruise or a guided tour, just small claims involving the cancellation of domestic airline tickets due to medical treatments and due to a death in the family. A lot less was at stake on each claim, and ultimately we got good results with all of the airlines involved (I think there were 4 or 5 in total, each with fairly inexpensive domestic tickets involved). One made it harder than the others, but that is another story for another time. Both personally and professionally, it has been my observation that the more money is at stake, the more carefully the insurance company reads its terms and conditions.

Tom & Judy

My gut feel (that means I'm not a lawyer) is that the Costco agent should have cancelled the first cruise and then rebooked the second cruise...and Retired08 should have been asked to buy another policy for that second cruise. AIG should not have been responsible for insuring two cruises when they were only paid for the policy on the first cruise. The agent may have thought they were doing Retired08 a favor because you can cancel one cruise and move the policy to a second cruise....but you can't do this if you are going to file a claim for the time period/cruise covered by the first policy.

As I think about it, I doubt that the AIG policy says that you must cancel the cruise to make a claim....what happens if you are in an auto accident on the way to the pier...you wouldn't have time to cancel the cruise. Again, the agent may have changed the dates on the policy to match the second cruise...but without realizing that he was leaving Retired08 without insurance on the cruise he was no longer taking.

Just one final conjecture....Retired08's medical condition that caused him to have to cancel the first cruise occurred when the policy was on the first cruise. Moving the dates of coverage on the policy AFTER the medical condition arose would not allow the policy dates of coverage to be changed because AIG was already in a situation where they had a claim.

Oh well...it's always easy to create a theory....I'm more and more sure that Retired08 will get his claim for the first cruise paid....and I'm equally sure that he has no insurance on the second trip at this point....but that's a Costco's issue to resolve.

Note: This is a great example of why one should buy a cruise from a TA and buy insurance from an Insurance Agent.....and why TA's shouldn't try to make a few extra bucks selling something they don't understand.

My gut feel (that means I'm not a lawyer) is that the Costco agent should have cancelled the first cruise and then rebooked the second cruise...and Retired08 should have been asked to buy another policy for that second cruise. AIG should not have been responsible for insuring two cruises when they were only paid for the policy on the first cruise. The agent may have thought they were doing Retired08 a favor because you can cancel one cruise and move the policy to a second cruise....but you can't do this if you are going to file a claim for the time period/cruise covered by the first policy.

As I think about it, I doubt that the AIG policy says that you must cancel the cruise to make a claim....what happens if you are in an auto accident on the way to the pier...you wouldn't have time to cancel the cruise. Again, the agent may have changed the dates on the policy to match the second cruise...but without realizing that he was leaving Retired08 without insurance on the cruise he was no longer taking.

Just one final conjecture....Retired08's medical condition that caused him to have to cancel the first cruise occurred when the policy was on the first cruise. Moving the dates of coverage on the policy AFTER the medical condition arose would not allow the policy dates of coverage to be changed because AIG was already in a situation where they had a claim.

Oh well...it's always easy to create a theory....I'm more and more sure that Retired08 will get his claim for the first cruise paid....and I'm equally sure that he has no insurance on the second trip at this point....but that's a Costco's issue to resolve.

Note: This is a great example of why one should buy a cruise from a TA and buy insurance from an Insurance Agent.....and why TA's shouldn't try to make a few extra bucks selling something they don't understand.

Your theory makes perfect sense. I agree that TA's usually have very little idea as to what they are selling when they sell travel insurance as an add-on. In most cases it probably works out fine, but there is a benefit in using somebody who actually is a professional in that area. If your conjecture is right, then this is a major screw-up by the TA in creating the issue that led to the denial of the claim.

A positive case with cruise insurance. We book and pay for our travel using Chase United card which includes up to $10,000 per person per incident for cancellation coverage. We use Geoblue for medical and evacuation.

A few weeks ago my wife broke her wrist 9 days before we were supposed to fly to Sydney for a cruise on the Solstice, after that cruise we were going to take a HAL cruise to Honolulu and fly home from there. The doctor said that she needed to have her wrist checked weekly for the first three weeks to make sure it was healing correctly. That meant that we could not make the flight or the Solstice cruise. We canceled the cruise and contacted United to shift our flights back two weeks (was able to shift all of the money paid to the new flights).

The coverage on the paid use back all of the money that was not refunded on the Celebrity cruise. No out of pocket loss at all. A very efficient process for "free" insurance coverage.

A couple of lessons learned during the process:

1. Make sure that you have copies of all invoices, payment receipts, etc prior to canceling the cruise. The invoices and payment receipts became inaccessible on both the Celebrity and our TA web site once the cruise was canceled.

2. The coverage is for amount charged through the credit card, but if you use one card for both parties, the other person is only covered if they are a family member or domestic partner. Not a problem in our case, but would be if someone was traveling with an unrelated traveling companion. In such a case each should use their own cards for their fare.

A couple of lessons learned during the process:

1. Make sure that you have copies of all invoices, payment receipts, etc prior to canceling the cruise. The invoices and payment receipts became inaccessible on both the Celebrity and our TA web site once the cruise was canceled.

Any decent TA will be able to send you a copy. They will have a hard copy on file.