1st time Cruiser with a Question

Michigan123

My sister and I will be on the Norwegian Bliss in June 2018. Since this is our first cruise, we are trying to figure out everything. I have an account set up on the NCL website and noticed that the itinerary for the week is posted. The first port that we go to is Ketchiakan, Alaska with arrival time of 7am and departure of 3pm. So if we arrive at 7am, what time do we actually start getting off the ship? With a departure time of 3pm, I was reading we need to be back on the ship 2 hours before it sails, if this is true, that would be 1pm. I am trying to plan a shore excursion, but not sure what the timing should be. Any advise would be helpful.

Welcome to the forum.

The two hour embarkation time is only for the first day at the ship's home port. When you arrive at your ports of call you will be able (assuming you are docked, not tendering) to leave the ship within just a few minutes of arrival.

My sister and I will be on the Norwegian Bliss in June 2018. Since this is our first cruise, we are trying to figure out everything. I have an account set up on the NCL website and noticed that the itinerary for the week is posted. The first port that we go to is Ketchiakan, Alaska with arrival time of 7am and departure of 3pm. So if we arrive at 7am, what time do we actually start getting off the ship? With a departure time of 3pm, I was reading we need to be back on the ship 2 hours before it sails, if this is true, that would be 1pm. I am trying to plan a shore excursion, but not sure what the timing should be. Any advise would be helpful.

In almost all cases in our experience (not this particular port, but all around the globe)...you'll be able to debark no later than 7:30. You'll be expected back onboard by 2:30 for a 3pm sailaway. It's funny that you asked this question...I remember wondering the same thing about the 2 hours back during our prep time for our first ever cruise. I believe the wording could better, because we they mean is you need to be on board 2 hours before departing on the FIRST DAY OF YOUR CRUISE. Otherwise, it'll be 30 minutes prior to announced time.

Yes, all aboard is 30 minutes before most of the time but they are serious that all be aboard by then. I’ve been on cruises where started pulling away after the all aboard but before the departure time. If you are on a cruise line excursion, don’t worry about the times. If they are sold by the cruise line they will get you off on time and baring a catastrophic delay, back on in time. If you are doing an independent excursion you’ll want to make sure you are back well before the all aboard time. My preference is to be back at least an hour before. So 1.5 hours total before the ship is supposed to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

you have chosen an AMAZING first cruise!! the highlight of my Alaska cruise was the helicopter onto the glacier, I wouldn't do the White Pass railway again.

The ship will sail on time - don't risk "I have time to do this" - my sister thought we had time for the scenic drive, it's really embarrassing to be the last people aboard (running through the port)

Welcome.

You should join your roll call with fellow cruisers on your cruise. https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=24&ship_id=988

What day do you sail?

You should book any specialty dining 90 days prior to departure. Shows should be bailable too, but they are not yet.

Yes, all aboard is 30 minutes before most of the time but they are serious that all be aboard by then. I’ve been on cruises where started pulling away after the all aboard but before the departure time. If you are on a cruise line excursion, don’t worry about the times. If they are sold by the cruise line they will get you off on time and baring a catastrophic delay, back on in time. If you are doing an independent excursion you’ll want to make sure you are back well before the all aboard time. My preference is to be back at least an hour before. So 1.5 hours total before the ship is supposed to leave.

I like to watch YouTube videos of pier runners.

I just aim for 30 minutes before all aboard, so 1 hour before ship is supposed to leave. More wouldn't hurt, but I find 30 minutes to be fine most of the time. Except Juneau. People tend to push it more then. If you show up 30 minutes before, you might find that there's still a long line to board, cutting into the time you have to shower, change, and get ready for ship fun/food. For Juneau, I'd probably shoot for 1 hour before all aboard.

I'm not sure what your ports are, but I can tell you what we did and loved on our Alaskan cruise. We did not like the eagles/totum pole excursion. Spend as much time at the mendenhall glacier if you go there. We also did the Yukon excursion. Get a balcony on the ship if you haven't already, that was our mistake not getting one. Enjoy.

The "back on board" time for ports of call will be prominently posted in the Freestyle Daily, and on signs where you scan your card and walk off the ship. It is generally 30 minutes prior to sailing, but don't assume that...check.

Also, be very careful if you rely on your cell phone for the correct time, as so many do these days. If you've had your cell phone in complete airline mode for the trip, and you don't reconnect it to ship's wifi or internet or cell service, the time on the cell phone will NOT reflect any time zone changes that my have occurred since it was last connected to data. Fortunately, the Inside passage cruises don't have a lot of time zone changes. Any ship's time changes will also be announced in the Freestyle daily and with a card in your cabin.

.....I am trying to plan a shore excursion, but not sure what the timing should be. Any advise would be helpful.

Also: If a shore excursion is offered by the ship, then it can be done in the time you have on shore. If you're booking your own shore excursions, tell the the shore excursion operator which ship you are on. They deal with all the cruise lines and generally will know the ship's schedules even better than you will. They will tell you if you can or cannot take the excursion you're interested in.

I like to book excursions through the cruise line. They ship cannot leave without you if you’re on an excursion purchased through the cruise line and I’ve been on some that ran way longer than expected.

I haven’t done Alaska though, so I don’t know what types of things the cruise lines offer there

Since this is your first cruise, just a thing or two. You are given a ship's card, with your pix and info on it. When you disembark the ship, they scan your card so they know who is off the ship. When you return, they again scan your card to know you are back on board. That way, they know exactly who is on the ship and who may be missing when the ship is about to depart. If everyone is already on board, the ship MAY leave a bit earlier.

As was said, if you have booked a ship's excursion they will never leave without that excursion back on board, no matter how long it may take. BUT, do not think you can only book excursions thru the ship. If you go to the Alaska Port of call board on this site, and just read a few pages, you will find a wealth of info about all sorts of tours and tour companies you can use that will guarantee you will be back on the ship in plenty of time before you leave. We have been on some 20 odd cruises and the only time we have used a ship's excursion was on our first one. After that we realized you can do much better on your own, save a lot of money and get a much better value for what you may wish to do.

Cheers

Len