RCCL "Discover Scuba Diving" San Juan VS St. Maartin

Hi! Considering booking this excursion. I see that they have it on TWO of my ports, San Juan AND St. Maartin. San Juan is considerably cheaper ($125 vs $190) - San Juan says it's in an ecological cove vs St Maartin you go out on a boat and it's an "open water dive" - I'm wondering if anyone has taken EITHER of these RCCL sponsored excursions and can tell me more about either. I have never scuba dove before, however, I did try "SNUBA" on Cozumel and liked it, so I figured I would take it to the next level. It will be me (46 yrs old, average shape) and my buddy in his mid 20's who is in excellent shape. Besides general comments i'm also interested in the travel time to each place from the ship - Mainly in St Maartin as I want to have time to shop after we are done. If it matters, we are on HARMONY 9/15/18 sailing. Thanks for the info!!

Hoping that someone can shed some light on these excursions ... This is one thing i prefer about carnival, is that they allow customers to write reviews of their excursions so you can find out more than just the "ship description" --- anyone who has done these, please reply. Thanks!

:)

As a SCUBA instructor, I think you would get more out of the experience with a true open water dive. The only diving my wife and I could book in San Juan on our April HOS Cruise was shore diving due to the short port visit. You’ll have more time in St Martin so it should be a little more relaxed atmosphere.

Also check with the PADI dive center on the ship once you board. You might be able to get some materials and get ahead before you get to port so you know what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to repost this question in the scuba/snorkeling forum, lots of divers and experience at all the ports there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

And I might be mistaken but you have to be certified to do the open water diving. Most Discovery dives are limited to 40 feet and most are done off shore. I did my Discovery dive at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman as a 60 year old. It was awesome!

Edited by mac66

You might want to repost this question in the scuba/snorkeling forum, lots of divers and experience at all the ports there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

And I might be mistaken but you have to be certified to do the open water diving. Most Discovery dives are limited to 40 feet and most are done off shore. I did my Discovery dive at Eden Rock in Grand Cayman as a 60 year old. It was awesome!

The OP is talking about a Discover SCUBA dive which is an introduction to SCUBA for those with no previous experience.

Yes the discover dives can be conducted to a maximum depth of twelve meters (40 feet) if undertaken with a PADI Divemaster. Personally I think that is far too deep for someone who has never dived before.

As a certified diver, I don’t recommend learning or trying diving this way. Contact your local dive shop and get certified before your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with this. I just noticed you aren’t sailing until September. Definitely get certified first. You can do a discover class locally to see if you like it. Many dive shops can do this in a pool for a very low price. If you like it, get fully certified before the cruise. You’ll enjoy diving in the port visits a LOT MORE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I just noticed you aren’t sailing until September. Definitely get certified first. You can do a discover class locally to see if you like it. Many dive shops can do this in a pool for a very low price. If you like it, get fully certified before the cruise. You’ll enjoy diving in the port visits a LOT MORE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a certified dive master and rescue diver...I can tell you lots of horrible story’s of diving with divers who were “certified” by some quick and cheap organization...I’ve pulled these divers back on the boat!

Please take my advice and get certified at home before you cruise. It’ll allow you to be comfortable and know what your doing. But hey...It’s your life! I’ve recovered too many bodies off the bottom

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

.It’s your life! I’ve recovered too many bodies off the bottom

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

I have never been diving before, but wait guess we did try it once at one of the ports, diving with sharks that were behind plexi-glass......freaked me out. never again.

I would listen to Psycho though if he has pulled so many bodies off the ocean floor...yikes!:eek:

Thank you for the info and opinions! I had a feeling the St Maartin "Open Water" dive off a boat would be a little much for our first experience. I guess perhaps we should just stick to SNUBA again for this trip, as it's available - I mean I think the San Juan experience in the private cove would be perfectly safe ... but at almost $200 each ... just seems a little overpriced: Here is the description for everyone's reference:

DISCOVER SCUBA DIVING, SAN JUAN

Discover the adventures of scuba at Old San Juan's Escambron Marine Park on a special tour geared for first-time divers. Prepare to dive as a trained instructor teaches you how to breathe from a regulator, clear your ears and communicate underwater. After practicing in a protected cove, swim through schools of colorful fish. SJAE

• Escambron Marine Park: Get basic diving instructions, then practice in this protected cove with calm waters.
  • Underwater Exploration: Watch colorful fish swim through your fingers and eat from your hands in stunning marine habitats.

So, while this seems pretty harmless .... again, just seems overpriced compared to SNUBA in St Maartin which I can do for $125.