Muster drill

welly world

We leave next week on our 1st HAL cruise and I have a question about the munster drill. We are on deck 10 on NA and from what I have read, we need to go to deck 3. I have arthritis and it is nearly impossible to use stairs. Will I be able to use the elevator? Can we get there early so I don't hold people up?

We leave next week on our 1st HAL cruise and I have a question about the munster drill. We are on deck 10 on NA and from what I have read, we need to go to deck 3. I have arthritis and it is nearly impossible to use stairs. Will I be able to use the elevator? Yes. Can we get there early so I don't hold people up? Our most recent cruise was 15 months ago, and they asked that everyone stay in their cabins until the signal to leave was given. But by using the elevator you will be there before most going down seven flights of stairs.

I would go to Guest Services immediately upon boarding. I travelled extensively on HAL with two elderly women, and our muster was ALWAYS on our deck. HAL needs to reassign you.

Except for the Koningsdam, all HAL muster stations are outside on the Promenade deck (deck 3 for the N.A.) or a common area such as the main showroom for handicapped people.

Edited by catl331

HAL is using a new 3 step muster drill. You have to go back to your cabin and wait for the 3rd set of bells and then head down to your lifeboat -- no vests need to be taken.

You can use the elevators.

I use a Rollator and with this new system, I am always late getting to our assigned lifeboat as I have to wait and wait and wait for an elevator.

I wasn't even allowed to sit in the Ocean Bar on our last cruise even though I had to talked to the concierges and they had it cleared for me to stay there until the third set of bells rang.

Horrible. Nest time I am going to get it in writing.

HAL is using a new 3 step muster drill. You have to go back to your cabin and wait for the 3rd set of bells and then head down to your lifeboat -- no vests need to be taken.

You can use the elevators.

I use a Rollator and with this new system, I am always late getting to our assigned lifeboat as I have to wait and wait and wait for an elevator.

I wasn't even allowed to sit in the Ocean Bar on our last cruise even though I had to talked to the concierges and they had it cleared for me to stay there until the third set of bells rang.

Horrible. Nest time I am going to get it in writing.

I'm assuming that only those with mobility problems can use the elevators. They are usually pretty strict about who they will let use them.

I would go to Guest Services immediately upon boarding. I travelled extensively on HAL with two elderly women, and our muster was ALWAYS on our deck. HAL needs to reassign you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As mentioned, muster is always on the Promenade Deck (deck 3 on NA), even on Koningsdam...it is just indoors on Deck 3. That is where the lifeboats are.

They are not going to change your muster station to another deck. Perhaps your cabin was always on Promenade Deck?

When you get on the ship, after you drop your carry-ons, go to the front desk and tell them you need assistance with Muster Drill for whatever reason. They will take your name and stateroom which will then go on a list and be sent to your lifeboat station so they know not to look for you when they call roll. The front desk will tell you where to report for your muster station and which elevators to use if you need to use the elevators. In an actual emergency, a room steward or other employee may be sent to your cabin to assist you in evacuating.

We leave next week on our 1st HAL cruise and I have a question about the munster drill. We are on deck 10 on NA and from what I have read, we need to go to deck 3. I have arthritis and it is nearly impossible to use stairs. Will I be able to use the elevator? Can we get there early so I don't hold people up?

Hello 'welly world', My wife has the same issue, and we have been located on deck 10 a few times and have never been refused the use of the elevator at the start of the safety drill. There will be crew located in the elevator lobby and simply tell them that you are unable to use the stairs. You should not have any problems at all.

Enjoy the journey and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Bon Voyage! :)

Hello 'welly world', My wife has the same issue, and we have been located on deck 10 a few times and have never been refused the use of the elevator at the start of the safety drill. There will be crew located in the elevator lobby and simply tell them that you are unable to use the stairs. You should not have any problems at all.

Enjoy the journey and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Bon Voyage! :)

Thanks for setting the record straight! In addition, there is absolutely no problem taking a seat in the Ocean Bar on the big ships (or in the LP Deck Atrium lobby on the "S" and "R" ships) prior (15-30 min before) to the start of the safety drill if you are mobility challenged and not in a wheelchair. One of the ship's nurses (in uniform and/or scrubs) will also be positioned there when the drill starts so you will need to contact her/him

Thank you Copper10-8. We cruise often with my 88 year old mother. Not only does she move slowly, but she can’t stand for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time during muster. We’ve given up trying to get her to use a rollator or a wheelchair. So we’ll take her to the atrium lobby when we cruise on Rotterdam in December. She’s perfectly happy as long as she can sit. Thanks again for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off Zuiderdam this morning. I was able to use the elevators to descend to deck 3, then was instructed to contact the commander at my lifeboat station to have my card scanned. I then was directed inside to the Ocean Bar to wait 'til the end of the drill. Worked fine.