Westerdam inside Passage 09/16/2018

Traveler!

I realize that September will be luck of the draw. Should we get lucky I was hoping for some suggestions on what might be unique for things to do this time of year. I will have my 2 year old grandaughter with me. I anticipate that the weather could be bad and we will be spending more time on the ship than usual. Bad weather or good weather - would like this to be a good adventure. Thanks

We like May for the snow on the mountains and September for the cooler weather.

One big plus for September is the treat of sailing right up to Johns Hopkins Glacier. Normally, because of the wildlife in the bay, you sail only as far as Jaw Point and don't get a good view of the glacier.

I realize that September will be luck of the draw. Should we get lucky I was hoping for some suggestions on what might be unique for things to do this time of year. I will have my 2 year old grandaughter with me. I anticipate that the weather could be bad and we will be spending more time on the ship than usual. Bad weather or good weather - would like this to be a good adventure. Thanks

One of the best things about sailing in Alaska in September are the great end-of-season sales in the shops in each port.They 're closing up and moving out for winter, and want that inventory gone !

Edited by Boatdrill

Has anyone traveled this late in the cruise season? We are looking forward to seeing fall colors in Alaska(yn)....we hope...

Unfortunately the cruise lines have really started to push the limit on September cruises. The latest I've sailed (southbound from Seward) was early September and it was beautiful. I have friends - on two different HAL cruises - who sailed later and had severe weather. One cruise was delayed 24 hours leaving Vancouver - it was south bound coastal to San Diego, and many people chose to disembark in Vancouver and fly home, rather than wait it out.

As long as you know what may happen and that the weather in Alaska can change very quickly, go with a sense of adventure. :)