Solstice had to return to Melbourne last night

TeeRick

Very true, though they said their drink service was pretty bad and not at all consistent, with the bartender at the pool bar being the best one they encountered the whole cruise. There was some kind of drink with blueberry vodka that they told my sister they were out of the vodka at all bars. She found bottles of it at the top of a bar when playing trivia one day. They had the bartender from the pool bar go get it so he could keep making the drink she wanted. My mother said she had horrible margaritas to the point some weren't drinkable, margaritas are not that complicated of a drink. My BIL got a Bloody Mary with BBQ sauce in it - not hot sauce or tabasco - but BBQ. Who does that???

Did this all happen at the Pool Bar? I did not order anything but beer at that bar. I enjoyed very good bar and mixed drink service at World Class Bar, Martini Bar, Passport Bar and Oceanview/Sunset Bar. No issues. The Cellar Masters bar had very slow service.

Did this all happen at the Pool Bar? I did not order anything but beer at that bar. I enjoyed very good bar and mixed drink service at World Class Bar, Martini Bar, Passport Bar and Oceanview/Sunset Bar. No issues. The Cellar Masters bar had very slow service.

No, the pool bar was the only bar where they found good service, according to the 4 of them that were traveling.

My BIL got a Bloody Mary with BBQ sauce in it - not hot sauce or tabasco - but BBQ. Who does that???

I find that hard to believe. I don't recall ever seeing BBQ sauce at any bar on a Celebrity ship. If it did in fact happen, did he send it back and ask for a regular bloody mary? If not, shame on him.

I find that hard to believe. I don't recall ever seeing BBQ sauce at any bar on a Celebrity ship. If it did in fact happen, did he send it back and ask for a regular bloody mary? If not, shame on him.
They showed him the bottle of what they added and he didn't ask for another from that bar. So yes they do indeed know it was not a hot sauce like Tabasco used.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I read thru most of the posts on this thread about missing the Sounds and believe that if you were on this cruise and traveled from the US all the way to Perth, expecting the Sounds to be part of your itinerary, you would be extremely disappointed and unhappy with Celebrity as well. It's easyto say "get over it" if you can do it another time or if you weren't even part of this cruise, but the majority of passengers complained according to Guest Relations, so I don't feel like I'm going on on a limb to say Celebrity dropped the ball on compensation here. Other cruise lines offer discounts on future cruises or on board credit and Celebrity did NOTHING. Dunedin was not worth the stop - could have skipped it and never had another thought about it. The Sounds - an entirely different matter and the only reason I took this cruise. I agree that it was a $$$$ decision on Celebrity's part. Shame on them! I'll use another cruise line in the future.

Edited by Gonegonegone
spelling

Compensation? Why is it when a passenger doesn’t get their way, they want to be paid for their disappointment?

Good grief....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because we paid for something we didn't receive and normally you are compensated when you don't receive goods or services according to what was advertised. It's called good business practice. This was not an inexpensive vacation and some of us will never be able to do it again. That's why. It's not being paid for disappointment, it's being compensated for lack of goods or services. And you can best believe that passenger who was ill will be paying a pretty hefty bill for that turnaround! Celebrity sure didn't do that for free!

They showed him the bottle of what they added and he didn't ask for another from that bar. So yes they do indeed know it was not a hot sauce like Tabasco used.

They all use something like this that they add to tomato juice. I think it is nasty, but it is certainly not BBQ sauce. :rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/Demitris-Seasoning-Classic-16-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B001P75CKK?th=1

Because we paid for something we didn't receive and normally you are compensated when you don't receive goods or services according to what was advertised. It's called good business practice. This was not an inexpensive vacation and some of us will never be able to do it again. That's why. It's not being paid for disappointment, it's being compensated for lack of goods or services. And you can best believe that passenger who was ill will be paying a pretty hefty bill for that turnaround! Celebrity sure didn't do that for free!

Have you checked your cruise contract? I think Celebrity has the discretion to change an itinerary.

I can understand that it’s an expensive cruise. I’ve sailed it also. But I’ve also been on cruises where ports were missed due to a variety of reasons. But I have never felt that Celebrity owes me anything. I still utilized the ship during that period. It wasn’t a “trip interruption”, but a missed port.

Each of us have our levels of what we’ll tolerate and accept in a given situation.

Have you checked your cruise contract? I think Celebrity has the discretion to change an itinerary.

I can understand that it’s an expensive cruise. I’ve sailed it also. But I’ve also been on cruises where ports were missed due to a variety of reasons. But I have never felt that Celebrity owes me anything. I still utilized the ship during that period. It wasn’t a “trip interruption”, but a missed port.

Each of us have our levels of what we’ll tolerate and accept in a given situation.

Viking compensated its passengers with a 25% off future cruise voucher for those who still decided to cruise (after being given the option of free cancellation) when the Caribbean islands were damaged from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma and they were going into ports which didn't have much to offer. They also received a $600 OBC per cabin. These passengers knew full well what they were embarking on and yet Viking felt they wanted their customers to be satisfied. Guess that's the difference between a good cruise line and a mediocre one.

I've also sailed on many cruises where ports were missed and goodwill compensations were made. It is just good business. The cruise lines won't be going broke anytime soon!

Well it was sweet and not spicy. They said the bottle had bbq on it??

Well, that's a new one on me. I guess I can add that to all the other reasons why I bring my own bloody mary mix with me. :D

Viking compensated its passengers with a 25% off future cruise voucher for those who still decided to cruise (after being given the option of free cancellation) when the Caribbean islands were damaged from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma and they were going into ports which didn't have much to offer. They also received a $600 OBC per cabin. These passengers knew full well what they were embarking on and yet Viking felt they wanted their customers to be satisfied. Guess that's the difference between a good cruise line and a mediocre one.

I've also sailed on many cruises where ports were missed and goodwill compensations were made. It is just good business. The cruise lines won't be going broke anytime soon!

Viking’s situation was entirely different. It was as known in advance that some ports were impacted, due to hurricane damage.

But your situation could not be anticipated in advance.

I guess I don’t understand the philosophy that states, “I didn’t get what I want, so compensate me”.

Just pointing out that Viking is also the same cruise line that when they canceled a cruise halfway through due to major engine problems (ending in Hamburg, not Bergen) only refunded the unused cruise days and made a mess of return flights. Whereas when Celebrity had a similar issue in Alaska they not only refunded unused cruise days, but gave 100% of cruise fare as a FCC.

In the case you mentioned it was a business decision that they offered in advance to keep people from canceling. Not compensation for an unexpected issue that arose during the cruise.

I read thru most of the posts on this thread about missing the Sounds and believe that if you were on this cruise and traveled from the US all the way to Perth, expecting the Sounds to be part of your itinerary, you would be extremely disappointed and unhappy with Celebrity as well. It's easyto say "get over it" if you can do it another time or if you weren't even part of this cruise, but the majority of passengers complained according to Guest Relations, so I don't feel like I'm going on on a limb to say Celebrity dropped the ball on compensation here. Other cruise lines offer discounts on future cruises or on board credit and Celebrity did NOTHING. Dunedin was not worth the stop - could have skipped it and never had another thought about it. The Sounds - an entirely different matter and the only reason I took this cruise. I agree that it was a $$$$ decision on Celebrity's part. Shame on them! I'll use another cruise line in the future.

Not sure how Perth enters into the discussion since it is on the entire other side of Australia and the cruise left from Sydney. Anyone flying from the US to Perth, would be doing a far far more extensive vacation than just the cruise portion.

Cruise lines usually do not give compensation for missed ports due to medical emergencies or for that matter weather that occurs during the cruise. They will often give compensation if they have a problem which can be considered to be the fault of the cruise line (engine issues, etc). They will on occasion give compensation if there is a string of issues that arise to the level of a major deviation (2 or more ports missed and replaced by sea days).

Edited by RDC1

Actually in the case of the ship having to deviate for a medical emergency they do not charge. The patient will have to pay for medical treatment on board, and may have to pay for any evacuation services in removing them from the ship (depending upon the custom of the country doing the evacuation) such as ambulance from the dock or in some cases boat transfer or helicopter pickup. But no charge from the cruise line for the ships deviation.

Viking’s situation was entirely different. It was as known in advance that some ports were impacted, due to hurricane damage.

But your situation could not be anticipated in advance.

I guess I don’t understand the philosophy that states, “I didn’t get what I want, so compensate me”.

You are incorrect. Viking did NOT do this in advance. We were told we had the option to cancel, and many did. This additional compensation was given ON BOARD the ship near the middle of the cruise to everyone as a good will gesture So no, this compensation was given after the fact.

"I didn't get what I paid for, so offer me something to make me feel less disappointed" would be the correct phrase. There is no philosophy here. If you buy a TV you expect ALL the channels to work or you would return it. Have we become a society of robots that just accepts whatever we are dished out? If so, customer service may as well go out the window. Why even have a guest relations department if you expect everyone to just accept things, good or bad. Whatever happened to "you get what you pay for?"

Actually in the case of the ship having to deviate for a medical emergency they do not charge. The patient will have to pay for medical treatment on board, and may have to pay for any evacuation services in removing them from the ship (depending upon the custom of the country doing the evacuation) such as ambulance from the dock or in some cases boat transfer or helicopter pickup. But no charge from the cruise line for the ships deviation.

This has happened to neighbors and they WERE charged for fuel and additional charges for berthing fees, etc. Luckily, they had travel insurance as the bill was over $50,000 and they only had to pay about $1000 of it. But YES, they do charge it back to insurance and patient. That's why I never travel without insurance.

Not sure how Perth enters into the discussion since it is on the entire other side of Australia and the cruise left from Sydney. Anyone flying from the US to Perth, would be doing a far far more extensive vacation than just the cruise portion.

I'm not sure which cruise you were on but the one we are speaking about in this thread LEFT FROM PERTH (Freemantle)

Edited by Gonegonegone
addition

Just pointing out that Viking is also the same cruise line that when they canceled a cruise halfway through due to major engine problems (ending in Hamburg, not Bergen) only refunded the unused cruise days and made a mess of return flights. Whereas when Celebrity had a similar issue in Alaska they not only refunded unused cruise days, but gave 100% of cruise fare as a FCC.

In the case you mentioned it was a business decision that they offered in advance to keep people from canceling. Not compensation for an unexpected issue that arose during the cruise.

As mentioned above, this was not in advance.

Viking also had a major issue on a cruise my brother was on. It was due to engine issues and they returned to port, let everyone stay on board for the entire week to eat and drink and gave them a 100% refund and 25% off a future cruise. While everyone was disappointed, they were really out nothing since they still had a 10 day vacation with food and beverages and a comfortable place to sleep and the compensation and discount for a future cruise.

A couple of points:

1. the times and routes in the sounds are tightly controlled and approved in March the year before. So the odds are Celebrity could not have changed their times even if they wanted to

2. From what I recall of this trip, when I was on the Solstice last year. The trip through the Fjords goes through Milford Sound first. Then enters north of Resolution Island, goes through the Acheron Passage, then exits through Dusky Sound. The entire route through Milford, then the Acheron Passage, exiting through Dusky takes all day. So while you were off Dusky Sound just after the time when the ship would have normally been exiting, the ship cannot just decide to turn into the sound.

If anyone is interested in reading the agreement concerning cruise ship access

http://www.es.govt.nz/Document%20Library/Other%20resources/Cruise%20ships/cruise-ship-deed-of-agreement-updated-august2012.pdf

Well said RDC1. Is was on this cruise and as they sing ‘let it go’

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was kind of sad they had to miss the sound, my parents and my sister and her husband were on the cruise. They will probably never be able to afford a return trip to the area and spent a couple years planning this trip. Originally I was supposed to go and ended up not being able to swing the cost. Overall they were pretty disappointed with Celebrity (was their first time with Celebrity). I feel kind of bad because I was the one we talked them into the cruise and then ended up being the one not able to go. Originally they had a cruise booked with Royal instead. I was sad to hear they didn't like the food, said bar service was terribly poor and no consistency with the quality of drinks ordered.

I was on this cruise and found the food and drinks to be very very good. They may be better off sailing with Royal

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on this cruise for the second leg of a b2b. We were disappointed to miss the Sounds but I wasn't surprised since I figured money would be the overriding factor in Celebrity's decision. I emailed customer relations a few days ago and said as much. I also mentioned my concerns over how the decision to skip the Sounds was explained. I was not one of the people who complained to guest relations on the ship since it was apparent the deed was done.

Today I got a call from Celebrity. A very polite person explained that there would be no compensation at this time. Celebrity had received many emails and complaints and their executive team was reviewing what had happened and how it was handled. I was told that the decision had to do with the many contracts which Celebrity has in the course of the cruise. I took that to mean $$$ lost if we skipped Dunedin instead of the Sounds. I was pleased that my email was followed up with a phone call which at least offered the opportunity for a discussion rather than a standard email response.

We did enjoy both cruises and the food and service was the best we'd experienced on Celebrity in many years.

"If you read the posts (or for that matter knew geography) that the cruise was from Sydney. Perth is on the opposite side of Australia. Cruise lines usually do not give compensation for missed ports due to medical emergencies or for that matter weather that occurs during the cruise. They will often give compensation if they have a problem which can be considered to be the fault of the cruise line (engine issues, etc). They will on occasion give compensation if there is a string of issues that arise to the level of a major deviation (2 or more ports missed and replaced by sea days)."

RDC1 - thank you for the geography lesson. Unfortunately you have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about!:rolleyes:

This cruise sailed from Perth to Adelaide to Melbourne (twice) and then was scheduled to go on to the Sounds and various other NZ ports before docking in Sydney. Get your facts straight and don't bully others when your lack of knowledge is showing. I was ON this cruise for gosh sakes - I know where it sailed from. We spent 5 wonderful days pre-cruise in Perth and another week in Sydney before returning. I just got back and although my sense of time is off, I apparently know where we visited much better than you.

Some times just because people post a lot doesn't mean they have any knowledge to impart. Just sayin.

Edited by Gonegonegone
incorrect cruisers screen name