Snorkeling in St Kitts

astridwilson

Cruising in September this year and have a one day stop here. Interested in recommendations for a snorkeling beach that we can do on our own without an excursion. Experienced snorkelers and divers. Strong swimmers.

Also need to know if we would be better to rent a car of just rely on taxis if we end up beach hopping??

Arriving in Basseterre, St Kitts at 9AM and must be back on boat by 4PM.

Cruising in September this year and have a one day stop here. Interested in recommendations for a snorkeling beach that we can do on our own without an excursion. Experienced snorkelers and divers. Strong swimmers.

Also need to know if we would be better to rent a car of just rely on taxis if we end up beach hopping??

As experienced people, you will be dissapointed with St Kitts. There is nowhere of note to warrant your attention. Take the ship's catamaran snorkel and Lunch tour to Nevis etc.

Great snorkeling at Carambola last week, saw a large sea turtle, a lion fish, a large blowfish, and lots of other interesting things. The most interesting was around the back of the rocks that form the little pier. If you go far along there be careful of the currents, it is tougher swimming back. There is also a little lagoon at the right hand end of Camabola, but you need aqua shoes to get in there.

My husband and I rented a car last time we were in St. Kitt and it was really easy to navigate. We are also big snorkelers and honestly this is not the island for really spectacular snorkeling (ie St John, Curacao, Bonaire...etc.). However, there are some really neat places to visit (brimstone castle for example) and some nice beaches. We drove all the way around the north of the island and then down to shipwreck. We parked at Carambola and just walked over to shipwreck and had a drink and a quick bite. We then drove down to cockleshell, jumped in and swam a bit, dried off, had another drink and drove back to port. I love the car because you aren't accommodating others needs during a tour, you just go off on your own. We just had the credit card, drivers license and some cash in my husbands waist belt/purse and we were off. I believe our ship docked at 8am and onboard was 430pm. We did research beforehand snorkeling places to go to but it was really difficult to find them with the GPS coordinates given. It probably works out to the same price as a taxi with the gas but you have the car to explore all over.