Please explain the price difference per person between a room for 4, or 2 rooms for 5

LongHill44

Trying to talk a friend into coming on our Pride cruise but he is a family of 5. He thinks it may cost too much to get two rooms because he thinks they will jack the price up drastically per person. Another family of 3 even told him to let their son stay in their cabin as their kids are the same age and best friends.

He would rather keep his family intact and get two rooms, or a room that sleeps 5 of they even have it, but doesn't want to get killed per person money wise.

Any input or suggestions as to cost and what they could do to keep the cost down?

Thanks

Hi

I don't believe the Pride has cabins that sleep 5.

If that is not an option then getting two cabins would be considerably more expensive than getting a cabin for four with one of the children sharing with the other family.

The first two passengers in each cabin pay the regular rate, while additional (3rd. & 4th.) passengers in the same cabin generally are charged at a reduced rate. So if the one child were to stay with the other family, then all the children would be paying the reduced rate.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Some Carnival ships have cabins that will sleep 5, others do not. I think Pride only has 4 person cabins. In his case, 2 cabins will be likely be needed. The 3rd person in one cabin will probably be discounted over the regular fare, while the remaining 4 will cost the full fare. It would be cheaper the put 4 in one cabin and the third child in the other family's cabin if cost is the main concern.

Another option is to sail on a ship with 5 person cabins.

He should just go online and do a mock booking to figure out the cost difference or speak with a cruise agent.

BJ's Cruises has free gratuities for for first 2 in a room, so you would receive over $400 in gratuities. And if you spend over 4k total you will get a $200 bj's gift card per room. Plus $50pp/1st 2 guests($100)OBC EACH room!.

Bad part was i had to go thru BJ's and lose my PVP thru carnival. but if you are budget minded like we were this may work for you. I can give you the name and number of my BJ's Cruise agent if you like. hit me up.

We are booked on the Horizon 7/31/2018 and I did it thru BJ's...

What are the age of the children...If they are teens, Forget it!! Even a true cabin of 5 will be crowded and miserable. Why not book 2 inside cabins or a balcony and a inside across the hall. We did this many times when we cruised with our 3 children right up through HS years. My youngest was a boy who stayed with wife and I and my 2 oldest were girls...so it was great for them.

There are 4 of us. We have found that it is often cheaper for us to book 2 cabins, rather than just 1. This cruise, it was $200 cheaper to get separate cabins than to squeeze 4 people in. People often don't believe us but this isn't the first time it has worked out this way.

There are 4 of us. We have found that it is often cheaper for us to book 2 cabins, rather than just 1. This cruise, it was $200 cheaper to get separate cabins than to squeeze 4 people in. People often don't believe us but this isn't the first time it has worked out this way.

We’ve encountered this also.

First two persons in any cabin pay a "normal" rate, while third and fourth persons pay a "reduced" rate.

If it were possible to have five in a cabin, you would have 2 x normal + 3 x reduced. Assuming normal is $600 and reduced is $300, that would be total $2,100 for all five.

If you get two rooms, assuming same rates, your total for 5 is 4 x normal + 1 x reduced, or $2,700.

This makes perfect sense. the extra $600 is getting you a second bathroom (believe me, that is important) and a lot more space. Parents can have some privacy, and that is worth something.

You may be able to find a suite on that can accommodate five but the rates are going to be a lot higher than two inside cabins.

If he still wants everyone in 1 cabin, he can book the 5th person with the other family, but stuff that child into his own room, somehow. You do NOT have to sleep where you're booked!

Yes, this. We're a family of five who tries to convince another couple or family of 3 to cruise with us whenever possible so that we can take advantage of this scenario.

He should just let the family of 3 book his kid in their room. The kid will have to go with the other family to the safety drill, but that's it. Pack a sleeping bag (we have an inflatable thing called a "ready bed")in an air compression bag and have the kids take turns spending a night on the floor (unless 2 of them are little enough to be able/willing to share a bed).

This scenario worked especially great when my youngest was still in a crib...we'd just request a crib once onboard and voila! 5 beds in a 4-person room. We've done this in a premium balcony room as well as an inside room, which is definitely tight but totally doable.

Oh yeah, and we also tip the steward extra in cash for the 5th person, which has always been appreciated.

All that said, there are so many variables to consider before determining if this will work for their family. Ages of kids, length of cruise, type of room, how much time they spend in their room, etc.