First cruisetour, Island Princess May 2018 Alaska

Brew-man

As this is our first cruse I have a few questions. What is the temp like on the ship, in the rooms. I know the weather in May can swing but knowing this will help me pack. Is it ok to set up a tripod on deck for my camera/binoculars? I have found lots of info about the smoking policy but not much about vapors, I know you can vape in your room but what about the rest of the ship?

I'm sure Ill think up more but this is good for now.

Dan

In my experience, it can be chilly in the lounges, especially during the day - but I get cold easily. You can regulate the temp in your cabin. Expect it to be very cold on deck while going through the glaciers. As for vapes, yes, they can be used in your cabin - not your balcony. They only allow them in smoking sections of the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think vaping is only allowed in designated smoking areas and not in the rooms and balconies. Check with the Princess Answer book to be sure. They are being treated as cigarettes in many places.

I think vaping is only allowed in designated smoking areas and not in the rooms and balconies. Check with the Princess Answer book to be sure. They are being treated as cigarettes in many places.

From the Princess FAQ:

Electronic Cigarettes

The use of electronic cigarettes is allowed within the confines of the guest's stateroom (balcony not included) and within designated smoking areas only.

Thanks for the quick answers. Still want to know about the tripod.

Dan

I don't recall ever seeing this discussed before. However, I'll give it a shot.

I would guess if you set up a tripod on the Promenade Deck (Deck 7) and it's not too big and you kept it very close to the rail so as not to block anyone's right of way and you kept it there for a reasonably short period of time (always with you standing right next to it), it would be alright. On your balcony (if you have one) would probably be preferable).

I'm guessing someone with more knowledge and/or experience will chime in.

It has a small footprint that is adjustable down to almost a monopole. I would never leave it alone or hog up space, just want to make sure I'm not the odd man out in doing this.

Dan

I see no problem with your using the tripod, but you may still be the only one or one of a very few using one.

It has a small footprint that is adjustable down to almost a monopole. I would never leave it alone or hog up space, just want to make sure I'm not the odd man out in doing this. Dan

You may be the only one, or one of a very few, but if you aren't taking up extra space in a prime viewing time/spot, and aren't causing a hazard, go for it. Just make certain it is in a spot where people in wheelchairs could still easily get around you.