Fourth Vista class shop and possible new class of ships.

DutchCruiseFan

Hi all, while reading the wikipedia page of the Vista class two things caught my eye.

At first when you look at the ships it lists the three Carnival ships and two Costa ships which have been officially ordered by Carnival Corporation.

But it also shows a fourth Carnival ship with smaller letters saying Carnival Zephyr to set sail in 2021.

Let’s not discuss about this name as it simply can’t be known to public yet, but lets look at the possibilty of a fourth Vista class for Carnival in 2021.

Fincantieri is the yard who makes the Vista class ships for Carnival. So far only two cruise ships will be delivered in 2021 ( HAL and Virgin ), compared to other years where they delivered up to four ships in a year.

Carnival Panorama was announced somewhere late 2017 ( correct me if i’m wrong ). So there would still be time to announce a new ship for 2021.

I would really like it if they ordered another Vista class ship as i really enjoyed the Vista so who knows!

The second thing that caught my eye was the new class of ships that would succeed Vista. Obviously the LNG ships that have been ordered will come in after the Vista but on the Vista Wikipedia it states that the Vista class will be succeeded by the Millenium class. The first should set sail in 2025.

Carnival Millenium. Sounds good right?

I know it’s just Wikipedia and everyone can edit but lets post any possible news here as the subject of future cruise ships always gets me excited!

Here is the link for those of you interested. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista-class_cruise_ship_(Carnival)

Carnival will be using the shipyard in Finland to build some new ships. Love the Finnish built ships Fantasy Class and Spirit Class. IMHO they flow better than the Italian built ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the last bloggers cruise John Heald announced a new class of ship as yet unnamed so they were just calling it XL.

It's going to be 150K tons, and hold over 5000 guests.

Don't like that ratio..... #passengers/tonnage!!

Carnival will be using the shipyard in Finland to build some new ships.

I know, Meyer Turku will be used to construct the new class of ships now known as Excellence class for Carnival Cruises.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excellence-class_cruise_ship

But i still think a fourth Vista class could very well be on the blocks for Carnival. For example Royal Caribbean now has ships on order at three different shipyards.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Looks like someone just edited it into the Wiki page quickly. They didn't even format it into the table properly, and they don't have a source or footnote.

As you already mentioned, anyone can easily edit the wiki page. I would take a 4th Vista-class ship for CCL with a grain of salt at this point. Not to say it can't happen, but I'm not betting on it. That ship would likely be for one of the other Carnival brands.

Beyond the Panorama, I'm only aware of the XL-class of ships. Those are the 180k ton, LNG-powered ships being built in Finland for delivery in 2020 and 2022 for Carnival, with an additional 7 other ships spread out between the other Carnival brands over the next 5 years.

I think I care more about Pax/crew ratio. Bigger ships probably require a few more crew to do non-passenger facing duties so they should have a lower pax/crew ratio in my opinion. Maybe I'm not underestimating the synergies created through bigger ships though, would love to hear from people who actually have knowledge about this.

Edited by stevefrisco

While I have seen mention to your analysis, I do not think I have ever seen any meaningful analysis of gross tonnage to passenger ratio (which is what I assume the poster I questioned was referring to).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I have seen mention to your analysis, I do not think I have ever seen any meaningful analysis of gross tonnage to passenger ratio (which is what I assume the poster I questioned was referring to).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah I assume square feet of passenger space to passengers is probably a more important metric. I'd imagine Pride vs Sunshine has vastly different numbers for those.

Tonnage seems to connote volume the way I understand it. I'm not sure that is a very good metric because numbers could be skewed based on ceiling height in areas. For instance, a large atrium area would have one floor of space for the passengers to occupy but would have 10-15 times the amount of tonnage compared to a stateroom (depending on height).

The only way a fourth class Vista ship would be on the Horizon is if one of the Chinese-built ships is repositioned to the North America.

I doubt it would happen since one objective of building them in China is to comply with Chinese cabotage laws. But if the ships flop, I’m sure Carnival would bring them over here to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know much about ship building but I wouldn't want to get on one made in china

Fincantieri is basically running the show over there - they are essentially creating the Chinese shipbuilding industry.

Sent from tidecat’s iPhone using Forums FFS

What are they thinking. Why would they hand over their technology to the Chinese?

They have a significant equity stake in CSSC, and with the untapped potential of the Chinese cruise market, they are seeing an opportunity to cash in and increase their capacity beyond what can be built in Italy.