Zuiderdam... tuxs and bedding

mystic51

:) Good morning... we are sailing on the Zuiderdam in January. This is our first cruise with Hal. We've sailed with Celebrity, RC, Carnival, NCL in the past. A couple of questions... First, how many men wear tuxedos for formal night? My DH wants to know whether or not he needs to bring his along. I say "yes"... but said I would get your opinions.. Second... can anyone tell me about the bedding, type of bed etc and more importantly... do they have down/feather pillows. I always bring my pillow with, but it does take up precious space. We will be staying in a VA cabin 5184.... Would appreciate any info you might want to share... thanks...

I haven`t sailed on the Zuiderdam which I understand is slightly less formal than some ships. On all of the HAL ships I have sailed, tuxes were evident and in a ratio of about 70% to 30% suits/jackets. A tuxedo is always correct for a formal night. You may ask your steward for a feather pillow, I know I have done so in the past.......jean:cool:

99% of the time, when you get to your cabin, foam pillows will be on your bed. If you want the feather pillows, just ask your cabin steward for them - he'll get as many as you want.

When we got on the Ryndam last month, there were 4 foam and 1 feather pillow on the bed. We like the foam pillows and had our cabin steward exchange the feather pillow. It was done by the time we went back to the room after dinner.

We weren't on the Zuiderdam but were on the Westerdam earlier this month. Formal nights were about 85% (or more) suits and ties... very few tuxes. My DH grumbled about this a little as I had made him and DS rent them. His only issue was the extra $200, though, not that he felt out of place. A tux is never out of place on formal night.

I am one who votes for the tux as well, you will not feel out of place at all. I found the Zuiderdam, when I sailed her, to be less formal than the other HAL ships I have sailed. For my upcoming Volendam cruise, I will rent tux's for my nephews, they can't wait to dress up.

Thank you for all the responses. My DH purchased his tux a few years back.. So cost isn't an issue with him. I just feel there are so few opportunities to dress formal that I want to take advantage of it when at all possible.. of course he'll have the final say as to what he wears;) Thanks for the info on the pillows.,,, does anyone know whether or not the new beds are in all the cabins now?

Happy Holidays......

Archived