Trying to decide between refundable and nonrefundable

If you are a person who always gets insurance at the same time as paying their initial deposit, your insurance will payout that additional $100 that you’re not getting back.

Except if you do this you still pay for insurance, which is likely more than $100. If you book cruise line insurance it normally gets actually purchased at final payment and costs nothing if you cancel. When you buy insurance is also a decision you have to make.

Book a refundable then later convert it to the nonrefundable rate as it gets to final payment. This gives you the best of both options.

Also, if you book non-refundable and there is a flash sale you may lose the deposit in order to take advantage of the flash sale. Insurance usually does not cover cancel for any reason.

I usually try to book refundable unless there is a very significant price difference.

You also risk them changing the itinerary to one you do not like and you would still be out that part of the deposit.

If you want to book a Grand Suite or above, you must book non-refundable. Those cabins cannot be booked as refundable. We don't cruise very often and we wanted a Grand Suite, so booking non-refundable was a slam dunk.

Yes, they changed that first.

They found that people were booking as many as 10 cruises, holding out GS and above, to end up cancelling all but 1 or maybe cancelling all.

So they figured it would free up availability for people who actually plan to try to take the cruise.

My friend and I booked a nonrefundable cruise on RCL and we had to cancel 3 weeks before final payment. Her husband became ill and can't be left alone now. We each paid a $250 deposit and lost $100 each for cancelling and were given a certificate for the other $150 to use on another cruise within a year. Unfortunately, now she won't be cruising and I have no one else to cruise with so we both will have a total loss of $250 a piece. If we would have booked refundable, we would not have lost any $. Just a chance you take. Good Luck deciding.

Edited by HappyValley3
spelling

They found that people were booking as many as 10 cruises, holding out GS and above, to end up cancelling all but 1 or maybe cancelling all.

So they figured it would free up availability for people who actually plan to try to take the cruise.

Seriously? Who can afford to do that? Well, I guess some people can but I can't imagine.....:o

Who is they and where did they post the information?

Seriously? Who can afford to do that? Well, I guess some people can but I can't imagine.....:o

I know, crazy right? As far as NR vs R I just do the math and book what I'm comfortable with. I've only had to cancel 2 out of 40+ cruises so I tend to book NR if it's a significant savings which it often is. I also always buy insurance.

I switched from a refundable to a non refundable and saved $400.00 plus got an additional$100.00 OBC for the Symphony. I'm booked through a TA for this cruise, don't know why, but when the OBC went up during one of their sales, I e mailed my TA and he got Royal to make the change. Royal didn't give any static.

With deposit sales, they only tied up the deposits.

It was reported here on CC when it started last summer.

And several people admitted to having a number of cruises booked, and planning on keeping the best fit/price and cancelling the rest.

And it seems to have worked. I see more suites available for booking now.

We booked non refundable and had to cancel our cruise. Lost $100 per person as a cancellation charge with $300 credit towards another cruise as we only paid the deposit of $500. We had drink packages and dinner packages that we were fully refunded for. Now we are booked again for July using that $300 credit. I was told by the phone rep that if I want to switch cabins it will be fine. So if you are paying more for a better cabin they will do it for you.