My View: The Epic Beauty/Beast

APDMOM

Since we had been to Grand Cayman several times, we decided to skip the hassle with tenders, and enjoyed the views from the ship. We saw several airplanes land - right from the comfort of my lounger on the balcony:

6c8a09cba91338545b5f59d436424a68.jpg

We also saw these bobbing dots…

81d5b9aa2bc5fa10b9ca835a6cfe3082.jpg

Upon closer inspection of the zoom lens, we found this - "right there" outside our balcony:

1014969e693875c77ba7f62aa37bac6d.jpg

Speaking of the balcony: I will never be able to go back to a regular-sized balcony (okay, unless I HAVE to, like on Harmony in November):

167477a1b67f3712f7e3b1b976e018dd.jpg

Since we spent the day on the ship, I decided it was a good time to explore some of the other ”secret areas” I had learned about here on Cruise Critic. Follow me to deck 18…

When you exit the Garden Café area, turn left to the outside elevator by Great Outdoors. The left side elevator is for public use. The right side elevator is for the Haven Elite (they have a better cruise budget than I have [emoji16]). The elevator ride:

sMu1tidhmdE

A view of the slides from deck 18:

eb9901bb4fbdb2d509742c9bd9f7f868.jpg

Edited by APDMOM
video

When I got up to deck 18, I saw these nice loungers through this door:

75e6bbf6988c8878fc422aecfc2d712e.jpg

Well, the door was open and I entered like any good Unofficial Cruise Critic Research Executive would do. (I actually did not know where I was going- I really thought it was public).

Only when I came back out did I see the code pad which normally keeps this door locked from us commoners. It turns out, I had walked right into Posh Beach Club:

98d0d345070b444677b805573d1d5c6c.jpg

8632fc1b5484f1c8590b7f5eba21b5b7.jpg

baee6191aea0580cd385f53041adb766.jpg

A view from the very front of Posh... Oops! Did they forget to drop that anchor? :')

70ec5742fda65aaf613c91010a9861b7.jpg

I must say, after that visit I did not see what all the hype was about on Epic. It seems like it is more of a worthwhile expense on Escape - not so much on Epic. Maybe someone will let us in on insider information that was not obvious on my accidental free tour of The Club.

The detour through posh club was not in vain. Outside that door (in the public area where I was now a totally legitimate citizen) there is a set of stairs that leads to this little surprise nook. I would guess it must be deck 19. It is called Freestyle Sundeck on the deck plan. If you can zoom into that sign on the wall, it states “Bathing Suits Required in this Area”. I don’t know what happens behind the closed door to the left, though I have read some stories on CC… [emoji16]

9eba29f92749b533430d60613ae96a95.jpg

Since we had a nice view of the slides from here, and I forgot to post this video of the “Toilet bowl/Tornado” slide, I will insert it here. Okay, it is really more like a high efficiency toilet flush, because it is pretty slow!

K67xhWepDOI

Edited by APDMOM
add video

…and since we are passing the pool bar (Waves), here is a tip. The Waves bar drinks were either too strong for me, or they would not make the drink right when they run out of an item and don’t want to bother looking for a new bottle of the item.

In fact, the White Russian I ordered from here was way too heavy on the Vodka. For another drink, they emptied the last few drops from a bottle, and just filled the drink up with some icy mix. So, we avoided the pool bar.

However, the frozen drinks, which are served on the other side by the towels, were excellent. Hence, growing hips from too many Bushwhackers and BBC’s!

Waves bar:

8d1927a45bfd7dcbc870ac86117f007e.jpg

The “Mobile” bar with the frozen drinks:

21a4c733ca795cf8ab5866fe568fae30.jpg

Edited by APDMOM
tip

These two spots are also secrets from right here at CC:

When you go all the way aft, there are these outside stairs that you can take from deck 8 to 13 or 14. It is not pretty, but you can hear the ocean!

6d03129128cedd77d9e26c0c158ed7e9.jpg

On deck 13 forward, you can see the bridge action from the bridge viewing room. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to take pictures of the bridge, but there is a nice display area with plaques from the ports of call, especially of Epic’s inaugural year.

We found this model of the SS Norway there:

1596b1d3f1cd5ebbde7445a11e174a4d.jpg

Liberty of the Seas:

4f46d7def87286117081d7d841a3f894.jpg

8b57301fe8c3b121cf948c987aa79796.jpg

bb8ace46fe620039c6591675799af531.jpg

That Half Pipe Slide will definitely have to go on the bucket list! Look at them riding tandem:

70b579e3450fbbc649af77ff8c7f8f69.jpg

If you ever get a chance to sail Liberty of the Seas (Or a sister ship), book 7708 or 7408 or 1700 or 1400. Those are secret corner aft balconies that are AWESOME! (But you will have to research details elsewhere, since we are on NCL boards now [emoji846]):

664cf3f916195cc9ecf7247f48984025.jpg

DH asked what ship this is, and I confidently stated that I know exactly what that ship’s name is… I stalled...

c6c4356af128f4f0622f60e4ba6354fe.jpg

…until my camera could zoom in… A girl has to know her cruise ships! From any angle! By any means! [emoji23]

788c4bfbf6d21ab2a195849c821fcfbe.jpg

And then there was The Club Med 2 - not the kind you accidentally stroll into, even as an Unofficial Cruise Critic Research Executive:

50f3f533879726123a67663a9faf1128.jpg

Too soon, it was time to say good bye to Grand Cayman. Not because we were leaving a beautiful island, but because it meant that all 4,100 plus passengers were now back onboard.

Oh well! There is always the balcony:

0c3fb641bcfc37bca86848fd3b116471.jpg

b35e44613b10ad531c1cfb4c9eb201b5.jpg

Leaving Grand Cayman and the other ships in our dust...ahem smoke... ahem clean and safe effluent from the environmentally friendly incinerator:

a1c615a180c2bfa0fdd18b505b1e341c.jpg

Taste menu for tonight (No food pictures, sorry!):

DH loved the Grilled Salmon. I had the Steak Diane, which was mediocre. DS had the NY strip steak, which was grizzly. No more steak for us on NCL...

aa9cdc3376726163da34c82f0b9d0cc1.jpg

e1ef50e31dacdb2b9835267f0c5aed8d.jpg

Hi APDMOM! What a great review so far! Your reviews are always so thoughtful and meticulously detailed :D

It's great reading about another cruise line/ship, as you know I only have familiarity with RCI! I've also not visited most of the ports from your sailing, so your review has provided a taste of what each has to offer :)

Thank you for everything you've posted to date! Looking forward to the rest!

When I got up to deck 18, I saw these nice loungers through this door:

75e6bbf6988c8878fc422aecfc2d712e.jpg

Well, the door was open and I entered like any good Unofficial Cruise Critic Research Executive would do. (I actually did not know where I was going- I really thought it was public).

Only when I came back out did I see the code pad which normally keeps this door locked from us commoners. It turns out, I had walked right into Posh Beach Club:

98d0d345070b444677b805573d1d5c6c.jpg

8632fc1b5484f1c8590b7f5eba21b5b7.jpg

baee6191aea0580cd385f53041adb766.jpg

A view from the very front of Posh... Oops! Did they forget to drop that anchor? :')

I must say, after that visit I did not see what all the hype was about on Epic. It seems like it is more of a worthwhile expense on Escape - not so much on Epic. Maybe someone will let us in on insider information that was not obvious on my accidental free tour of The Club.

That is NOT the Posh Beach Club area. It is the Haven Sundeck.

The Posh Club is accessible via the RIGHT elevator (the other elevator) as you exit the Garden Café. You need your keycard in this elevator - if you bought Posh Club pass for the cruise it will accept your card. You can see the main pool area from the Posh Club.

The forward elevators go to Haven if your card can take you there.

That is NOT the Posh Beach Club area. It is the Haven Sundeck.

The Posh Club is accessible via the RIGHT elevator (the other elevator) as you exit the Garden Café. You need your keycard in this elevator - if you bought Posh Club pass for the cruise it will accept your card. You can see the main pool area from the Posh Club.

The forward elevators go to Haven if your card can take you there.

LOL! Obviously, I am just a commoner :') Thanks for the correction.

Hi APDMOM! What a great review so far! Your reviews are always so thoughtful and meticulously detailed :D

It's great reading about another cruise line/ship, as you know I only have familiarity with RCI! I've also not visited most of the ports from your sailing, so your review has provided a taste of what each has to offer :)

Thank you for everything you've posted to date! Looking forward to the rest!

Hi, moopetguy! Thanks for stopping by! :) As you can see, the 'live' review just did not happen. NCL internet is definitely not as good as RCL. It is much more expensive too. With our diamond discount and free day combination on RCL, we paid about $60 for a week. NCL was $125 for 250 minutes :eek: We had 250 free minutes that we just used to keep up with family. Hope spring is in the air up north!

LOL! Obviously, I am just a commoner :') Thanks for the correction.

NP! That door is supposed to be closed and locked but at times if there are too few ppl there they open the door to let a few in. One TA cruise we got passes for the Posh Club and we spent a lot of time there.

Great review and superb photos. Brought back memories of our 3 cruises with Epic (total 44 days, and two were B2B). Since the Breakaway class ships came out we haven't fully decided whether or not to return to the Epic because, although Epic has much better dining venues (for their location, size and ambience, and also Garden Café) than other ships, she lacked several things that are on other ships (e.g. waterfront, observation lounge, aft outdoors). BUT there is one Epic TA itinerary for fall 2019 that we are interested in!! We'll see!

Again, great review and photos!!! ENJOY the remainder of the cruise!

APDMOM,

Great review and even greater (if possible)photos.

Can I ask you to take a picture from the pool deck looking at the two elevator towers, going up to deck 18.

I can't get my head around what they may look like from the cabins they are somewhat in front of. I think they are H2 cabins but it looks like theses cabins would have an obstructed view .

Any help or photos would be very much appreciated.