My View: The Epic Beauty/Beast

APDMOM

Thanks APDMOM!

We have always loved the Epic and everything it has to offer.

You very eloquently stated how wonderful a cruise on the Epic can be; thank you!

Your review was very fun to read; GREAT pictures!

Best of cruising to you....:cool:

Thanks, clb!

I am very aware of what a privilege cruising is, and though no cruise is perfect from start to end, it is never bad (except maybe if the power went out...for days). Cruising is our favorite way to spend family time together! :)

Truly, an epic review befitting an epic cruise vacation with epicurean feasts on board the Epic ship. [emoji6][emoji4]

I’ll see myself out before the Pun Police come get me...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:') As long as you stay away from the Mounties Of Misspelling... (Did I spell that right?)

Thanks for a great review. We are doing our first "big ship" on the Epic next month and then the Breakaway a week later. I was a little apprehensive about them but your report made me feel so much better. As I mentioned in a post much earlier in your review, I too am doing the M&G's on both my cruises. We have about 50 signed up for the Epic and about 40 signed up for the Breakaway. I forgot to ask for cabin #'s to give out invitations but after reading your report, I made a door sign with the M&G info and posted it on the roll call. I'm hoping at least half the people show up.

I think you made the perfect choice of order. Epic will be great, and Breakaway will even be a step up! Enjoy, and report back after you return. I would love to see what you think of both ships. :)

Quick question. We have the same room type as you, can you tell me if the plugs can take a three prong extension cord, or if we should bring our two prong one? Also, is a 6 foot extension cord long enough to reach from the plugs which I think are in that desk area, to the bed when the bed (and what will be my side of it) are next to the sink? Thanks for any help!

Thank you for a great pic filled review! It brought back many great memories. The Epic might just be our favorite ship. The odd bathrooms everyone warned us about seemed to work out better for my husband than other ships. It also seems to have the most covered/shaded deck space. Being from Fl. we find no need to seek out the sun. I'd have to say that for a big ship everything seemed easy to get to, not too far a walk to and had incredible live entertainment, at that time The Blue Man Group and Cirque.

Quick question. We have the same room type as you, can you tell me if the plugs can take a three prong extension cord, or if we should bring our two prong one? Also, is a 6 foot extension cord long enough to reach from the plugs which I think are in that desk area, to the bed when the bed (and what will be my side of it) are next to the sink? Thanks for any help!

They had 2 outlets that can take a 3 prong cord. Make sure you do not have anything with a surge protector. 6 feet will be pushing it a bit, but the beds are short, so it may work for this cabin layout. If you have the bed by the balcony, I don’t know how that layout differs in terms of the outlet.

Yes, the outlet is by the coffee maker, inside the small cabinet.

94f369d25f0db63bc5cfe275dd3e5854.jpg

Thank you for a great pic filled review! It brought back many great memories. The Epic might just be our favorite ship. The odd bathrooms everyone warned us about seemed to work out better for my husband than other ships. It also seems to have the most covered/shaded deck space. Being from Fl. we find no need to seek out the sun. I'd have to say that for a big ship everything seemed easy to get to, not too far a walk to and had incredible live entertainment, at that time The Blue Man Group and Cirque.

I wish they still had The Blue Man Group! I would love to see them perform, but I will not take a land vacation just for that... it is not in the cruise budget. [emoji16]

They had 2 outlets that can take a 3 prong cord. Make sure you do not have anything with a surge protector. 6 feet will be pushing it a bit, but the beds are short, so it may work for this cabin layout. If you have the bed by the balcony, I don’t know how that layout differs in terms of the outlet.

Yes, the outlet is by the coffee maker, inside the small cabinet.

94f369d25f0db63bc5cfe275dd3e5854.jpg

Thank you!!!

THANK YOU!! What a GREAT review!Thoroughly enjoyed all the photos & write ups.

I've only ever been on 2 cruises so far:

RCL's Splendour of the Seas (no longer in the fleet) 2014 E. Med

NCL's EPIC Oct 2017 W. Med.

Your photos of the Epic brought back great memories as I read your story! I had a great time on the EPIC and even though it's a large ship 4100-4300ish people on our cruise, it NEVER felt crowded or overly large. We had an aft balcony laid out like yours. I loved the rear balcony (could see both sides of the ship) and the cabins were perfectly fine for us. We had so much fun on NCL We bought 2 cruise next certificates with our On Board Credits! Now I need to decide where to go next!!

Again, thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough high quality review!!

THANK YOU!! What a GREAT review!Thoroughly enjoyed all the photos & write ups.

I've only ever been on 2 cruises so far:

RCL's Splendour of the Seas (no longer in the fleet) 2014 E. Med

NCL's EPIC Oct 2017 W. Med.

Your photos of the Epic brought back great memories as I read your story! I had a great time on the EPIC and even though it's a large ship 4100-4300ish people on our cruise, it NEVER felt crowded or overly large. We had an aft balcony laid out like yours. I loved the rear balcony (could see both sides of the ship) and the cabins were perfectly fine for us. We had so much fun on NCL We bought 2 cruise next certificates with our On Board Credits! Now I need to decide where to go next!!

Again, thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough high quality review!!

You are welcome! I can definitely also recommend Escape 🙂 I have a photo review of that ship in my signature, if you want a sneak peek. Enjoy your future adventures!

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for this awesome review! I sail for the first time on Epic from Barcelona late June. Very excited and this has made me even more so!

You are welcome! Enjoy your cruise [emoji846]

We had the bed by the ‘bathroom’ (the less popular option, according to cruise critic reviews):

05519f94005b9b6e0315cd4a40021fe4.jpg

My wife and I just wrapped up 22 days on the Epic -- 15-day trans-Altantic followed by the 7-day Mediterranean cruise (we learned a lesson about booking cabins for back-to-back, too late -- we had to switch to the cabin next door for the 7-day cruise). For the TA cruise, we had 10172, with the bed closest to the toilet/shower. This cabin had plenty of storage with full-size drawers and two full closets. The short bed was a problem for me, even just at 6-feet tall, my feet hung off the end from ankles on down. The cabin, like most of the ship, was dark. Mood lighting may be nice at times, but there were other times (like trying to shave or get dressed) that more than 25-watt bulbs would have been helpful. What we found out when we moved to the next cabin (10176-- the steward moved our hanging things, but everything else had to be repacked in suitcases) was that the bed-by-the-balcony layout had less storage. Because of the curves, the drawers and the one closet were not very deep -- you could put in maybe three pair of underwear and two pair of socks. We had to have the steward bring us some regular hangers to use the closet, since it didn't have the usual pin-in-a-bracket hangers of a full-size closet. The seemingly smaller cabin issue was compounded by the addition of our adult son as the "third guest sails free" in the space. Both he and I didn't fully fit on the short beds. Having him in the room really wasn't a problem, other than having additional luggage to deal with. Our two large (necessary for the TA trip) suitcases fit under the bed (and were used more for storage than on the TA trip), but we still had other cases that had to be stashed between the bed and the window.

In the scheme of things, it appears that the cabin design did not have passenger comfort in mind, but was done to maximize the number of cabins/passengers/revenue for the ship. Overall, the Epic looked to be a case of "how not to design a cruise ship" and it is understandable why there is only that one ship in its class. Sorry to those who love the Epic, but we can say "We sailed on it" and look to other cruises on other Norwegian ships.

Thanks for the report back, bruceharper! It is nice to get the input from someone who has experienced both setups for the balconies. I would definitely prefer the additional storage.

• 4 weeks later...

thank you for the awesome review. I have only sailed royal and will be on Epic for the first time in Feb 2019 out of Port Canaveral. Question- how was the temp of the pools in florida?

Our cruise on Adventure of the Seas two weeks ago, the pool were heated until we hit florida (2 days going down from NJ) and then ice cold the rest of the cruise.

thank you for the awesome review. I have only sailed royal and will be on Epic for the first time in Feb 2019 out of Port Canaveral. Question- how was the temp of the pools in florida?

Our cruise on Adventure of the Seas two weeks ago, the pool were heated until we hit florida (2 days going down from NJ) and then ice cold the rest of the cruise.

On Epic, they were very comfortable to me. [emoji846] I imagine they will heat them for February.

We will be on Adventure in 2 weeks!!

• 8 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 7:39 PM, APDMOM said:

6787c2b2e4057b61cd725c5c6a4a9cd9.jpeg

ffdb7f8a3beee4bb7d0e05f2c62a4a2a.jpeg

ffa99a2d6616aea92d0a5b3a0efd2334.jpeg

a61295e22278c4652b7d82ebd7a4ef79.jpeg

Did you know that you can order a pot of coffee with the fixings and a continental breakfast for FREE and have it delivered to your cabin each day? There are order forms in the NCL desk note book in each cabin. Usually there are only one or two forms, although you can ask your cabin steward for more forms. 

As long as you order the things on the form that do not have a price attached, it is free to have it delivered. You can also choose what time you want it delivered.