A few questions about a Celebrity Cruise from NJ to Bermuda in August.

sandman512

So, thinking about taking a cruise with the family in August, from NJ to Bermuda. It would be me, wife and three kids(18,14, and 12). I will preface this by saying my wife is not a cruise fan(she feels confined). She is willing to try this one. One thing she is concerned with is what to at the "Days at Sea". So,any feedback on what activities to do on this days. Also, because we are a family of five, I will need two room. Any input on this? And lastly, recommendations for activities to due at Bermuda? Thanks!

We did the Bermuda cruise on a different cruise line. Had two teens with us. Sea days start with breakfast, then poolside, dinner, shows at night. So much to do that we sometimes prefer sea days. Bermuda is a beautiful island. Horseshoe Bay is a beach that you can travel by public bus, ferry or taxi. Small island so everthing is easily reached. Also swam with dolphins, and did horseback riding on trails that ended on the beach. Kids still talk about that cruise many years later. Would advise against doing it in Sept or October.

We’ve gone to Bermuda twice on a cruise. So far it has been my favorite place to visit. Horseshoe bay beach is a must. We rode the public bus both times. Just tell the bus driver where you are going and they’ll tell you when to get off or you could ask a local and they will too. We also visited Crystal Caves and it’s sister cave whose name escapes me. It was amazing. My kids are elementray age and loved the caves. We also did public buses and the driver took us when to get off. I bought a book before we went and researched the bus routes. On the ship there is plenty to do. We used the pool on a sea day but there were other activities too. Sometimes just relaxing with a good book was enough for me!

We have cruised to Bermuda from NJ several times and it has always been great. Last year the Captain did make a decision to leave the port a day early due to a storm. We spent the last night of the cruise docked in NJ. No one could leave the ship until custom/immigration staff arrived the next morning.

The newer ships today all tend to feel spacious. I would suggest getting a balcony stateroom...the large glass door provides lots of natural light and helps to make the stateroom feel bigger. Possibly the kids could be booked into an interior stateroom close by.

There is plenty to do on board the ship on sea days. Hour long activities are scheduled throughout the day. Sitting in a nice quiet spot can be relaxing. In Bermuda, there are numerous choices. On activity that is popular is Harbor Nights...every Wed eve

https://www.gotobermuda.com/article/harbour-nights-bermudas-weekly-summer-street-party

We took two Celebrity Cruise years ago to and from Bermuda.

There is a lot for everyone to do during the sea days and it just provides a nice time before you arrive to Bermuda and on the return home.

Once in Bermuda the ship becomes a hotel in the sense that you come and go as you please.

Bermuda is terrific

Keith

My family has done this cruise four times. The first time, in 2011, was my parents first cruise. We had been trying to talk them into joining us for years with no luck. My mom was afraid she would feel trapped and be bored. Instead, she loved it. She and my dad cruised twice more with us and a few times on their own until she passed away last year.

As for activities on Bermuda, we have done so many and still have a list for next time. Favorites were the caves (Crystal and Fantasy), Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, the Zoo and Aquarium, beach hopping between Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe beaches, Southlands, bikes on the Bermuda Railway and wandering around St. George to see the dunking. But by far, the family favorite is to rent a boat for the afternoon and just ride about.

We always travel in August and have never had hurricane issues with our Bermuda cruises, but it certainly can happen. On a Southern cruise three years ago, we had our itinerary changed twice because of two different storms. When there is only one destination, it is a lot harder to switch ports.

My kids, now aged 11 and 14, love Celebrity and cruising to Bermuda. While the ships don't have all the bells and whistles of the more family-geared lines, they always find things to do onboard. Scavenger hunts are always on our to-do list. We have done lots of photo ones, and one where we had to find crew from different departments and/or countries and get their signatures. Once, there was a flash mob on the last sea day, and my daughter and I went to a few practice sessions beforehand.

We don't have a summer cruise booked yet this year, but I'll be watching the Exciting Deals for a last minute deal.

So, thinking about taking a cruise with the family in August, from NJ to Bermuda. It would be me, wife and three kids(18,14, and 12). I will preface this by saying my wife is not a cruise fan(she feels confined). She is willing to try this one. One thing she is concerned with is what to at the "Days at Sea". So,any feedback on what activities to do on this days. Also, because we are a family of five, I will need two room. Any input on this? And lastly, recommendations for activities to due at Bermuda? Thanks!

I am not sure if it would work for you but it is worth looking into:

Summit has 12 family veranda cabins (cabin category FV) at the back of the ship that are designed for families. The interior and balcony are exceptionally spacious which helps one feel less confined. The downside compared to booking two cabins is that you still have one bathroom and two of the kids would have to share the fold out sofa bed. It is likely that they are all sold out since they are very popular, however when they are first made available, you need a minimum of 5 people to book it. That requirement is dropped as the sailing date draws near. It is worth looking into to see if that would work for you.

92c06e37dfd0c152471eb85ee1528d9a.jpg

These photos were taken of our FV cabin on Infinity a little over a year ago. When we sailed to Bermuda back in 2010 aboard Summit, our family of 4 was the same cabin.

33412946e24990cc853ff69193484f0e.jpg

Edited by mahdnc