St Maarten port

LovetheCubs

We have never been to this port. Wondered if there was shopping like at St Thomas or even like straw market in Nassau. We aren’t big fans of Nassau and will probably just stay on board during this stop in the Bahamas. But want some carribean shopping. Wondered if there is anything close to port in St. Maarten. Thanks in advance!

There is a water taxi ($) that takes you across to the main stretch of beach and shops near the pier. The recent hurricane had affected the island but a lot of this side of St. Maarten has been rebuilt. (I’m speaking of things for cruisers to do; I understand the hotels are more slowly recovering.) There is a lot of jewelry, alcohol, tobacco, t-shirts, souvenir shopping. I would think the locals would appreciate the business. I prefer shopping in St. Maarten to St. Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have never been to this port. Wondered if there was shopping like at St Thomas or even like straw market in Nassau. We aren’t big fans of Nassau and will probably just stay on board during this stop in the Bahamas. But want some carribean shopping. Wondered if there is anything close to port in St. Maarten. Thanks in advance!

It is much better than St Thomas, take the water taxi.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but St.Thomas is the port with the most shopping, and St.Maarten is the second. You will find loads of shops in Phillipsburg, everything you could want, you will find. You will either have to walk (10-15 minutes) or pay for a water taxi to get into the town. There are also very many great beaches, including the beach right off of Phillipsburg (Great Bay) that are worth the visit. Some shops will likely be closed due to storm damage, but they should be improving. Enjoy SXM, it's surely my favorite island!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but St.Thomas is the port with the most shopping, and St.Maarten is the second. You will find loads of shops in Phillipsburg, everything you could want, you will find. You will either have to walk (10-15 minutes) or pay for a water taxi to get into the town. There are also very many great beaches, including the beach right off of Phillipsburg (Great Bay) that are worth the visit. Some shops will likely be closed due to storm damage, but they should be improving. Enjoy SXM, it's surely my favorite island!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you. I think we will do the water taxi. How do we find this? Does it have a schedule?

As someone stated above, the price is $7 and they come frequently. There will be many signs, you won't miss it. If you decide you also want to spend some time at Great Bay, you can lay our your towel on the beach and enjoy the sun and sand, or, if you want a better experience, you can rent chairs. The Holland House Hotel actually runs a big special for chairs, drinks, wifi, food, showers, bathrooms, etc. But, if you're just going for shopping, you will surely find everything you could want by just taking in the water taxi into Phillipsburg and walking around! :)

Do not stay on the ship in Sint Maarten...it's a beautiful island (IMHO). For an all-around glimpse of the island, I would recommend Bernard's Tours. We've done it twice...you get to shop, go to a beach, see the planes practically land on the beach, etc. We've also done a "go-fast boat" tour with Captain Bob (Souiligna Tours) which will take you around the island for snorkling, lunch at a beach bistro, anchor off-shore at the airport, and then a "fast-boat" experience. Again, don't stay on the ship.