Can men wear khaki shorts at MDR?

Let me preface by saying that we haven't sailed with Royal in 10 years and we are going on the Enchantment next Monday for a quick four day Bahamas/Key West cruise. I'm assuming that nice shorts (think Tommy Bahama) and appropriate shirt would work for my husband?

Also, is the second night "formal night?" Assuming long pants here? We typically sail on Celebrity for longer cruises but this is just a quick getaway for us.

Wear whatever you want. There is no second formal night on a 4-day cruise.

Let me preface by saying that we haven't sailed with Royal in 10 years and we are going on the Enchantment next Monday for a quick four day Bahamas/Key West cruise. I'm assuming that nice shorts (think Tommy Bahama) and appropriate shirt would work for my husband?

Also, is the second night "formal night?" Assuming long pants here? We typically sail on Celebrity for longer cruises but this is just a quick getaway for us.

No matter what anyone on CC says, if your husband is comfortable wearing TB shorts and shirt then he will be fine wearing TB shorts and shirt. Enjoy your cruise.

The rule is no shorts so if u want to only bring shorts and risk them saying something to you then go for it. I have seen both, people being asked to change and people wearing shorts and a t shirt. For me I always wear pants with a dress shirt on regular nights and a tuxedo on formal nights. I do wish it was still considered a luxury to sail on a ship and everyone brought out their best attire, but unfortunately that will never be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The rule is no shorts so if u want to only bring shorts and risk them saying something to you then go for it. I have seen both, people being asked to change and people wearing shorts and a t shirt. For me I always wear pants with a dress shirt on regular nights and a tuxedo on formal nights. I do wish it was still considered a luxury to sail on a ship and everyone brought out their best attire, but unfortunately that will never be the case.

It is not a rule anymore. Been a long time since I’ve seen any wardrobe enforcement in the mdr.

It is not a rule anymore. Been a long time since I’ve seen any wardrobe enforcement in the mdr.

It is still a rule. No shorts for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are a different story.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

I saw them enforce it last April on anthem.

Originally posted by jahannah Nothing bad. You can wear whatever you want. However, if you don't believe that dressing down for dinner makes it less of an "occasion" for both you and the people surrounding you, you are mistaken.

Actually, dressing up for dinner makes it MORE of an occasion for me. MORE uncomfortable wearing a suit, MORE time changing from shorts to a suit then back to the cabin after dinner getting out of the suit and into my comfortable clothing.

It is still a rule. No shorts for dinner. Breakfast and lunch are a different story.

It clearly says suggested, not a rule. The only rule listed was no bare feet or tank tops. I have seen no tank tops enforced quite a bit.

Bottom line is there is a good chance no one will say anything to you if you wore a pair of shorts in the main dining room. However you should be prepared to be turned away if they enforce this rule as I have personally witnessed done several times. Just don’t come on here complaining afterwards that you got turned away!

It clearly says suggested, not a rule. The only rule listed was no bare feet or tank tops. I have seen no tank tops enforced quite a bit.

If that was the case then they would have said shorts are welcomed at all meals. But they specifically put shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch. Therefor they are not welcomed at dinner and I have seen them recently turn people away for wearing shorts. But like I said I have also seen people wearing shorts in the mdr it’s really up to the Maitre d whether they are going to say something or not.

What rule. Where do you find this rule?

I see suggestions for wear but no you shall or shall not.

Did you read the link you posted. Clearly at the top it say.....

When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

It’s a suggestion.

If that was the case then they would have said shorts are welcomed at all meals. But they specifically put shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch. Therefor they are not welcomed at dinner and I have seen them recently turn people away for wearing shorts. But like I said I have also seen people wearing shorts in the mdr it’s really up to the Maitre d whether they are going to say something or not.

Too bad they say suggested. It would be better if they just made it clear one way or the other. Then no one could complain and/or everyone’s expectations would be the same. Their language is clearly intentionally not specific so as too allow almost anything other than beach or gym attire.

I tend to think that those getting rejected in shorts probably aren’t wearing modern looking dress shorts with polo style tucked in shirts. Probably more like bathing suit or gym looking type of shorts with tee shirts. Either way I don’t care what others wear as long as they are covering their butt/midsections up to their shoulders with clothing.