Current e-mail regarding upsells

Question

We have been on several cruises and have another booked for December. We have never received emails offering upgrades.

Does this depends on what type of room you have already booked?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

This is a relatively new thing they're doing, just in the last 6 months or so maybe. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to it, and even if you do get the email there is no guarantee that you get the phone call actually offering the upgrade. Odds are VERY slim that you'll ever get the offer - some have cruised literally hundreds of days at sea and never received a phone call.

We never get an offer to upgrade. Just not fair. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also never get any offers to upgrade. I know that my husband did put in our settings that we would be up for any offers.

You don’t have to be a certain C&A level to get the offers do you?

We also never get any offers to upgrade. I know that my husband did put in our settings that we would be up for any offers.

You don’t have to be a certain C&A level to get the offers do you?

Nope. We have only been on 1 cruise (so just lowly "Gold" status) and got the "put me on the list" email for our upcoming July 29 cruise. Before the website changed, I did go into the C&A section and filled out the "upgrade preferences" stuff, so that's probably all.

We received an email yesterday with an offer to upgrade from Neighbourhood Balcony GTY to Large Oceanview Balcony for $150. Knowing this is per room and not per person, I'm PRETTY sure we'd take it!!!! Now what are the chances they'll actually call??

We received an email yesterday with an offer to upgrade from Neighbourhood Balcony GTY to Large Oceanview Balcony for $150. Knowing this is per room and not per person, I'm PRETTY sure we'd take it!!!! Now what are the chances they'll actually call??

Slim.

Even if you don’t get an email regarding the possibility of an upgrade for a price, you may still get a call. I was just called this week about upgrading on my June Harmony sailing (at a price) and I never received an email about the possibility of an upgrade. The tricky thing with the call is that you HAVE to answer right when they call, (in my experience they don’t leave a message), and you must decide right then. You can’t talk to your spouse and call back, etc. It’s now or never.

The tricky thing with the call is that you HAVE to answer right when they call, (in my experience they don’t leave a message), and you must decide right then. You can’t talk to your spouse and call back, etc. It’s now or never.

The person who called me said to think it over and if I changed my mind to call back a certain number. Maybe they were having trouble with that upsell.

The person who called me said to think it over and if I changed my mind to call back a certain number. Maybe they were having trouble with that upsell.

Interesting! That’s definitely nice to have that extra time to be sure it’s what you want.

What does caller ID show for the upsell calls? With all the scams and robocalls these days I usually don't answer unknown numbers, but I'd hate to miss an upsell opportunity.

For me it showed up as “unknown” on my cell phone. I would normally not answer a call that said that, but I’m glad I did this time.

• 4 weeks later...

We got the initial email to get on the list for an upgrade about a month or so ago. Today I got a second email letting me know that IF an upgrade is available, they will be calling within a few days from a phone number beginning with 866-562-xxxx. I’m not expecting a call since it appears (at least from what I can find online) that they only have 2 balcony rooms available, which is what we already have. I was surprised to get a second email. Has anyone else gotten the second email?

We got the initial email to get on the list for an upgrade about a month or so ago. Today I got a second email letting me know that IF an upgrade is available, they will be calling within a few days from a phone number beginning with 866-562-xxxx. I’m not expecting a call since it appears (at least from what I can find online) that they only have 2 balcony rooms available, which is what we already have. I was surprised to get a second email. Has anyone else gotten the second email?

Check the Royal Caribbean UK website. They show all the cabins that are available. The US website only shows a few.

I got the second email alerting me that they might call and gave that same phone number as the one to watch out for. That was on May 24th for my sailing on Explorer that leaves this Friday, June 8th. That sailing has been sold out for several weeks (no matter what site you use, US. UK, etc) and suites have been gone for well over a month, which is what my 'upsell' offer had been for in the first place. A couple of friends sailing on this same cruise also got the second emails. None of us ever got the call, didn't think we would.

Check the Royal Caribbean UK website. They show all the cabins that are available. The US website only shows a few.

Thank you for the tip! The UK site showed the same two balcony rooms available that I had seen on another site. We sail in less than two weeks, so I’m sure there is last minute shuffling around. But I’m not trading my aft balcony for a midship balcony. [emoji23]

Thank you for the tip! The UK site showed the same two balcony rooms available that I had seen on another site. We sail in less than two weeks, so I’m sure there is last minute shuffling around. But I’m not trading my aft balcony for a midship balcony. [emoji23]

Haha! We have an aft balcony too--and unless the suite was in a great location, I don't think we would have done it anyway. I love those aft balconies! We are in 1690.

I got the second email alerting me that they might call and gave that same phone number as the one to watch out for. That was on May 24th for my sailing on Explorer that leaves this Friday, June 8th. That sailing has been sold out for several weeks (no matter what site you use, US. UK, etc) and suites have been gone for well over a month, which is what my 'upsell' offer had been for in the first place. A couple of friends sailing on this same cruise also got the second emails. None of us ever got the call, didn't think we would.

It seems rather silly to send the email. Our cruise is essentially sold out, too. So, I never expected a call after the first email came out. Gotta love automated systems. 🤷🏻*♀️

Haha! We have an aft balcony too--and unless the suite was in a great location, I don't think we would have done it anyway. I love those aft balconies! We are in 1690.

Yes, it would have to be a nice spot to give up this location. We are in 7156 on Vision out of Barcelona. I’m looking forward to sitting on our balcony as we sail away from Kotor. [emoji4]

Yes, it would have to be a nice spot to give up this location. We are in 7156 on Vision out of Barcelona. I’m looking forward to sitting on our balcony as we sail away from Kotor. [emoji4]

Enjoy! I had a Barcelona one booked in 2014 but had to cancel due to needing some surgery that was going to have a long recovery. I need to get that one back on the books. This one is Alaska, getting that off the bucket list. :)

Enjoy! I had a Barcelona one booked in 2014 but had to cancel due to needing some surgery that was going to have a long recovery. I need to get that one back on the books. This one is Alaska, getting that off the bucket list. :)

Thank you! I worked in Alaska for a couple of seasons as a field biologist for Fish and Wildlife Service. It’s wonderful there! Enjoy your trip! And hope you get to do the Barcelona itinerary soon!

• 1 month later...

Got the second email on 7/5 with the 866-562-XXXX phone number. I received the call yesterday (7/9). I'm on AT&T and the caller ID showed Royal Caribbean. Went from a BW balcony to a hump balcony for $150. Sailing is 9/1 on Harmony.