Symphony of the seas..

Hi Guys,

New to the forums here, having been a regular on Trip advisor for years but slowly venturing into the Cruise holidays now so here goes be gentle please :-) Me and my Wife have done a mini cruise from UK from Southampton to Brugge to Paris via Anthem of the seas, we thought it was fantastic so now we've booked the Symphony of the seas now for 7 days from Barcelona in June I can't wait but as its new it seems everything is up in the air at the moment with booking Entertainment and restaurants etc...

We have the all inclusive package but when looking to book our restaurants it seems everything other than 1 of them incurs a charge? Is it really necessary to book in advance or can we book whilst aboard? Also very confused over the Gratuity tips, Personally I tip as and when I get good service but reading up lately it seems were paying $14 pp per day automatically added to our sea pass account? is this set in stone or can I cancel all Gratuity and pay as and when I feel I should tip etc? thanks

Any tips would be great thank you.. regards Lee

You can go to Guest Services and discontinue the automatic gratuity.

Thanks Bob

Is this normal practice or am I being a scab here? I don't mind giving tips etc but to be billed automatically doesn't sit right with me? thanks

First, welcome to cruise critic! As a fellow Tripadvisor veteran, I can tell you there is a lot of great information here. But heads up, the people who run this place are a bunch of crazy nitwits, so keep in mind the trivial and draconian rules, lest nurse Ratched get displeased!

There are a number of complimentary venues: Main Dining Room, Windjammer, Sorrentos, Park Cafe, Boardwalk Dog House, and Johnny Rockets (for breakfast) to name some.

Booking shows in advance will ensure you better sears, but you're not in any way obligated to go. So book and play it by ear. Specialty restaurant reservations are usually available on board without difficulty, with the exception of tepanyaki, and may be more limited for a large group.

As for gratuities, my best advice is don't waste your time or effort with it. I used to be much more generous with tips, but when they went to automatic gratuities, it took all the hassle away. You CAN cancel them and tip as you go, but it provides little to no benefit to the crew (and may in fact hurt them inadvertently), and it wastes your time and effort.

Thanks Bob

Is this normal practice or am I being a scab here? I don't mind giving tips etc but to be billed automatically doesn't sit right with me? thanks

I think what's "normal" is a cultural thing, and it's for you to decide. I've read that on cruises out of Australia, many people used to line up at Guest Services to remove the tips. I think Royal has rolled the tips into the cruise fare down there.

There is no need to go to any pay for restaurant. There are several venues that are included:

MAIN DINING ROOM

EL LOCO FRESH

SORRENTO’S

BOARDWALK DOG HOUSE

WINDJAMMER MARKETPLACE

PARK CAFE

CAFE PROMENADE

I find it is far easier and more efficient to leave the auto-gratuity in place.

The AI drinks package means you can also get juice at breakfasts, and waters to take ashore. It isn’t purely for booze [emoji485]! If you want a drink that is over the package allowance you just pay the difference and 18%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(y)

Yes thats what I said, I thought this was quite expensive to be honest but I think I'll cancel all auto Gratuities and pay my way as and when I feel needed. Its a very complicated setup billing people for things that RC think may happen? as mentioned am new to Cruising so may just play it by ear. Thank you

(y)

First, welcome to cruise critic! As a fellow Tripadvisor veteran, I can tell you there is a lot of great information here. But heads up, the people who run this place are a bunch of crazy nitwits, so keep in mind the trivial and draconian rules, lest nurse Ratched get displeased!

There are a number of complimentary venues: Main Dining Room, Windjammer, Sorrentos, Park Cafe, Boardwalk Dog House, and Johnny Rockets (for breakfast) to name some.

Booking shows in advance will ensure you better sears, but you're not in any way obligated to go. So book and play it by ear. Specialty restaurant reservations are usually available on board without difficulty, with the exception of tepanyaki, and may be more limited for a large group.

As for gratuities, my best advice is don't waste your time or effort with it. I used to be much more generous with tips, but when they went to automatic gratuities, it took all the hassle away. You CAN cancel them and tip as you go, but it provides little to no benefit to the crew (and may in fact hurt them inadvertently), and it wastes your time and effort.

Thanks folks... Anyone seen the staterooms yet? we booked a room with balcony overlooking boardwalk because they wanted $600 extra for a sea balcony but then we got an upgrade luckily overlooking the sea instead of what we paid for? :-)

Yes thats what I said, I thought this was quite expensive to be honest but I think I'll cancel all auto Gratuities and pay my way as and when I feel needed. Its a very complicated setup billing people for things that RC think may happen? as mentioned am new to Cruising so may just play it by ear. Thank you

If you are doing this because you think the total amount is excessive, that is your prerogative. However, if that is the case, you are mistaken. It has been clearly established that the amount that is automatically charged is consistent with the industry standard and therefore justified for typical service and experience.

If you are doing this because it doesn't "feel right", I get it. I'm a generous and often arbitrary tipper in most other areas of my life. But RCI (and other lines) have gone to the auto approach, and I said "fine. You just saved me money!".

Really, cruising is different. The best approach for all parties is to just pay the gratuities and don't waste any time thinking about it.

If you are doing this because you think the total amount is excessive, that is your prerogative. However, if that is the case, you are mistaken. It has been clearly established that the amount that is automatically charged is consistent with the industry standard and therefore justified for typical service and experience.

If you are doing this because it doesn't "feel right", I get it. I'm a generous and often arbitrary tipper in most other areas of my life. But RCI (and other lines) have gone to the auto approach, and I said "fine. You just saved me money!".

Really, cruising is different. The best approach for all parties is to just pay the gratuities and don't waste any time thinking about it.

I suppose its each to their own, I am still confused on the matter to be honest because I will probably pay the Auto Gratuity but then still leave a tip if the service is worth what I receive? I hope I make sense here :-)

I am quite generous and will always give tips if I or my wife receive good service but paying for something I haven't yet received just doesn't sit right with me.

I suppose its each to their own, I am still confused on the matter to be honest because I will probably pay the Auto Gratuity but then still leave a tip if the service is worth what I receive? I hope I make sense here :-)

I am quite generous and will always give tips if I or my wife receive good service but paying for something I haven't yet received just doesn't sit right with me.

It used to be that at the end of the week, you had a series of envelopes and suggested amounts for various people: Room Steward, Waiter, Head Waiter, etc... Then, they gave you the option of paying them on your on board account, or even prepaying them. Then they changed the automatic payment from opt in to opt out. It was at that point that I said to myself, "okay, if that's what they think is best, I'll just go with it". Like I said, I'm a generous tipper, and this is actually less than I would have likely given. But if this is what they feel works best, I just kind of decided "cool, I'm not going to worry about it".

It used to be that at the end of the week, you had a series of envelopes and suggested amounts for various people: Room Steward, Waiter, Head Waiter, etc... Then, they gave you the option of paying them on your on board account, or even prepaying them. Then they changed the automatic payment from opt in to opt out. It was at that point that I said to myself, "okay, if that's what they think is best, I'll just go with it". Like I said, I'm a generous tipper, and this is actually less than I would have likely given. But if this is what they feel works best, I just kind of decided "cool, I'm not going to worry about it".

Good choice... Needless to say I can't wait, am sure it will be great as expected and the fact they have a sports bar onboard is winner winner for me :-) thanks for your help

Hi

I think leeno382 is spot on, the auto tipping system is a far simpler method than the old envelope at the end of the cruise days, plus you can always tip extra to your room steward, waiter etc. who has gone the extra mile to make your holiday special.

Of course you can cancel all tips by going to the front desk but i think by the end of the cruise you will appreciate the hard work of all the crew members that it takes to 'run a ship' and not just the few you will come in contact with.

As for booking entertainment,dinner etc. you can book this online via the rccl website approx. 60 days before you cruise. As there are in excess of 5000 passengers I urge you to do so, you can always cancel on board the ship if you change your mind.

I too will be on the Symphony, but in April,not long now, looks a great Ship.

Jazzman

Edited by jazzmanfive

I agree that paying gratuities for service not yet received doesn't feel right although it's done by a lot of people.

FWIW, the auto gratuities appear on your sea pass on the following day, each day. It is a lot easier than managing the tips yourself.

If you leave the Auto Gratuity in place, then there is no need or expectation at all to tip any extra.

If you leave the Auto Gratuity in place, then there is no need or expectation at all to tip any extra.

As Brits we find it hard to understand this US practice for tipping virtually anything that moves, we're more like the Aussies. When you book a holiday in the UK there is no mention of any additional charges for tips, you just give them if you feel it's justified and even then it would only be to one or two workers. We just think that people are paid to do a job so we don't expect to have to supplement this by paying an expected tip or gratuity on top. However, we've travelled extensively in the US and have taken almost a dozen cruises so we just shrug now and go along with this tipping culture. On cruises though we leave the auto daily tip in place and certainly don't tip any extra. The rate is over 18% which is way over what we'd ever tip so we don't feel it necessary to give a penny/cent more no matter how good the service.

Just so you know. When you remove the auto tips the tips you give out must be turned into the pool. The person you are tipping gets a lot less then you are giving. How do you plan on tipping the buffet staff and behind the scenes house keeping staff. Also it has been reported that the dinning staff and room stewards are made aware of those who remove tips. It has been reported that the room stewards and dinning staff are asked by management to explain why the service charges are deleted. Don't be a cheapskate and screw those that are serving you.

As Brits we find it hard to understand this US practice for tipping virtually anything that moves, we're more like the Aussies. When you book a holiday in the UK there is no mention of any additional charges for tips, you just give them if you feel it's justified and even then it would only be to one or two workers. We just think that people are paid to do a job so we don't expect to have to supplement this by paying an expected tip or gratuity on top. However, we've travelled extensively in the US and have taken almost a dozen cruises so we just shrug now and go along with this tipping culture. On cruises though we leave the auto daily tip in place and certainly don't tip any extra. The rate is over 18% which is way over what we'd ever tip so we don't feel it necessary to give a penny/cent more no matter how good the service.

In the US, waiters and servers are paid normally $7-8 min wage or ~$3 in some states (per hour). There is a certain amount of expected tips that combined with min wage they pay taxes on. If they do well, and many do, they pay little if any taxes on the tips that exceed the expected. Many low wage earners use this tax break. If one gets satisfactory service, in our area, 15-20% tip is expected.

Most that are in a job or position that expects tips, expect a tip and it is the larger part of their income.

Lots of theories out there how Royal works tips into ones salary but I do believe it is expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums