SCUBA Cert onboard

I saw the old "dive cert" thread.. from 2008???? i see that they offer cert now onboard.. does anyone know what this entails? how much it is, how may hours of instruction, dives, etc? Has anyone done this? I'm looking at maybe booking one of these ships as a surprise for my son who is graduating with his marine science degree and hasn't had time to get certified yet.. Any info would be welcomed..

Thanks!

Sail on! :ship:

My wife got certified on Allure a few years ago. There were many early morning wakeups and lots of reading/studying. She did not realize beforehand how much it would impact the "vacation" part of the cruise. If she had it to do over again, she would not do it on a cruise.

I did it on the Adventure about 2005 and have done about 60 dives since then. Yes, early mornings and classroom and pool time, then two dives in St. Thomas and two dives in Curacao. Since I had no other agenda on that cruise it accomplished in slightly more than one week what would have taken months on shore and a much bulkier wet suit since I am in New England. I only dive in warm climates, and only have a light weight wet suit, mask and snorkel. The dive equipment I rent from the dive company.

Yes, a lot of time from the cruise, but a very efficient way to get certified.

On-shore dive instruction companies criticize this all the time, but I spent the same amount of class time, the same amount of pool time and the same check dives before getting the certification. Oh, and I spent a LOT less money which I believe is really the basis for their disdain.

greeneng

Jim. G.

this thread discusses: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2444411&highlight=SCUBA

highlites:

- the current version of cruise certification is based on PADI e-learning. You sign up and do the 'book work' b4 the cruise via computer based training. This eliminates the classroom time previously required on the ship (btw dd got certified this way - e learning - in '11 ... very common now) On completion of the CBT a 'certificate' is issued to present when you 'go wet'

- a test is given on the ship to verify the CBT was completed (going wet)

- one pool session is required to complete the 'pool' segment of the open water course. Depending on the cruise this may happen early day ... or mid day on a sea day.

- open water certification requires 4 open water dives under instruction and no more that 2 in one day so the cruise must have two divable ports (so only some cruises can offer) and the two tank dives in these ports will consume most of the day. The students often accompany regular two tank dive trips for certified divers, the class stays with instructors and does their class thing. Note there is no SCUBA diving at Labadee at this time that I'm aware of nor have I seen this option offered for a cruise using Coco Cay as a dive site.

- last time I looked the cost was not too out of line ..... full e-learning at a Keys place I like runs $500 to $600 depending on how many sign up at the same time .. this includes the CBT portion and the wet portion. Sunset House in Cayman charges $350 for just the wet portion ....

- my 'concern' with doing this from a cruise is what happens if a port is missed due to weather ..... there ARE ways to proceed, but if you don't live near 'diving' it can get complicated.

**certified in 1973 and diving a bunch since **

dd and I in the 'big tank' at EPCOT, formerly 'the living seas'

enhance

Edited by Capt_BJ

Depending on where you live, I tend to recommend getting certified before the cruise if at all possible. Ships don’t miss ports very often, but it does happen. Or the ship might make the port, but it could be too rough for the dive charter to go out. Save the stress. If you have the time in advance and the access, get certified before the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're best off getting certified at home before your vacation. Most dive shops offer the class over 2 weekends. One weekend in the classroom/pool and the following weekend you'll spend in the ocean - normally only 1/2 day each. Cost would definitely be less than what the cruise line charges.

Do your classroom work ( actually most do it online now ) and pool dives where you live.

Do your open water dives on one of the islands. You get the boring stuff done and your

check out dives are more fun from a warm island.

The complete course with open water dives is $350 where I live.

I got certified in Dahab, Egypt. It was amazing and not too expensive. If you can, I recommend you go somewhere warm (like Mexico) for a week or so and do it at a resort. It will take A LOT of time away from your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got certified in Dahab, Egypt. It was amazing and not too expensive. If you can, I recommend you go somewhere warm (like Mexico) for a week or so and do it at a resort. It will take A LOT of time away from your cruise.

This is what I would recommend.

More open ocean time versus more pool time.

And a nice vacation. And you can get in some real dives also.

Giving your son a surprise gift of scuba certification on a cruise is priceless! I say go for it.

Perhaps your teen wants to relax and have fun or hang out with other teens. If that’s the case give the gift of scuba for another time.

Perhaps your teen wants to relax and have fun or hang out with other teens. If that’s the case give the gift of scuba for another time.

I should have been more clear.. he's graduating from College.. he's a marine science/astronomy major and is continuing on in grad school.. He lives in Tampa right next to USF so maybe i'll look for dive schools in that area or with the university even. he will be there for the summer working so he'll have time now to do his certification.. then maybe take him on a cruise so he can dive.. what's the best islands? Mahogany Bay? Cayman? Cozumel? Thanks for all the great tips.. I've always wanted to dive but never had the resources.. now I don't have the physical attributes needed to be safe in open water.. from what I've read, divers don't like to be around "newbies" that are "not 100% confident" as they make it "dangerous"... I'm not so sure I like that attitude when you are a certified diver but don't have a ton of dives.. where would you all suggest I look to cruise for him to dive safely without "annoying" others...

There are a few dive resorts in the Carib that are great for building dive skills of a newly certified diver. Sunset House in Grand Cayman and Coco View in Roatan are places that I recommend for this purpose .... when dd was newly certified I took her to Sunset for a week to build her skills and soon after she was a summer intern / research assistant at Coco View. Both of these places offer unlimited shore diving just steps from your room on excellent "home reefs" with 'shallow depths and very attentive dive shop staff ready to lend a hand. A typical dive package includes guided 2 tank boat trips each 'diving day' which are usually done by lunch time and the house reefs are excellent places for an afternoon or evening dive or even a nite dive ... You could even book a week stay and complete the course in 2 days then use the rest of the time to build experience ....

here's dd and I gearing up for her first night dive ... I think dive #10 after getting her open water cert'

enhance

Folks have poopoo'd the RCI certification package here but I'll mention again that this method of getting certified - eLearning followed by a dive trip - is very common today. dd did the eLearning while in college and I booked the wet portion with a dive shop in Key Largo for her spring break. Day 1 we arrived at the shop EARLY where she was given a test to verify book knowledge. That done we were off to a nearby hotel pool for the 'confined water' session which was about 3 hours. A quick break for lunch and we were then off on a dive boat for two dives (I was certified already but accompanied on all the dives). End day one. Day 2 we were off on a morning 2 tank trip and POOF by lunch time she was a certified diver, all PADI requirements met for Open Water Diver. The place I booked with tossed in two more dives (the afternoon 2 tank trip ... this was possible because the depths are mostly shallow in the Keys)

I'm sure you can find a SCUBA school in the Tampa area but IMO the diving around Tampa is not exciting .... but he'd be well in range of the Keys!!!

Here's an idea for a 'dive school' graduation present. dd's first dive after the certification trip was in the BIG tank at EPCOT WDW ... formerly 'the living seas' {this 'adventure is offered every day, certified divers only}

enhance

this is from her time on Roatan

enhance

her first job out of college had her leading trips to Curacao ... this is the Blue Room where she's free diving

(and getting paid to do it!)

enhance