Bed on Balcony

Renmar

• 6 months later...
On 3/27/2018 at 7:38 PM, SimonaD said:

Hahaha

I consider myself lucky to get bathrobes, not gonna rock the ship and ask for something extra!

Come to think of it, recently on a FB group Brits were discussing asking for kettles in their cabin and getting full tea service setup. I might try that, and pack some good coffee! [emoji12]

I hope you’ll update us on your “cruise ship camping” efforts. It better include photos though, or it didn’t happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update;

Slept on the balcony for 15 nights out of the 19 during our Panama Canal cruise (Caribe Deck). The balcony is plenty large enough to accommodate my twin air mattress -the 2 chairs - 2 footstools & the table. During the day the Mattress was stored upright against the side wall out of sight to everybody. The first night out I had the bed against the railing but realized the next morning that it would be visible from the Aloha deck because our cabin was in the recessed part of the Coral Princess.

Our cabin steward supplied me with a Queen Size blanket, a bunch of pool towels and an extra pillow. The pillow was so I did not have to use the pillow from the bed in the cabin. Being on deck 10 in that recessed part there was no issue with seawater spray, hence no salt. We had very calm seas and no rain with outside temperatures around 25 degrees Celsius every night except the first and last night.

I would recommend to try it at least ones, it's awesome to sleep under the stars.

2107684134_P1010299(Custom).thumb.JPG.0b08f384411ee24d31afec8f0dfc079b.JPGP1010287-1152x648.thumb.jpg.bfb208f57fdad4bf7a10ac31e14e71aa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2018 at 8:55 AM, Renmar said:

Anybody ever had their bed (twin bed) moved onto the balcony. For our upcoming cruise, Panama Canal, we have a balcony that seems large enough to have one of the beds set up there. I like to try sleeping outside :D(DW does not). Would they do it?

Theo

Princess will not allow you to move your bed to the balcony.

But think it would be fun like a camping trip.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

I don't think in the big picture of things that you will enjoy sleeping on the balcony.  Why not open your door and you'll get the full effect of the ocean.  It will get hot and humid in your cabin - too humid.  We just returned from a Panama Canal cruise - 19 day.  We had our door open sometimes - until it got too hot, then it was air condition time.  It also rained off and on a couple of days.  Do you want to get your bedding wet?  I don't think your room steward will like bending over making your bed each day on the balcony.  Hardly any room to maneuver around just sitting out there.  IMHO it's a bad idea.

24 minutes ago, elliair said:

I don't think in the big picture of things that you will enjoy sleeping on the balcony.  Why not open your door and you'll get the full effect of the ocean.  It will get hot and humid in your cabin - too humid.  We just returned from a Panama Canal cruise - 19 day.  We had our door open sometimes - until it got too hot, then it was air condition time.  It also rained off and on a couple of days.  Do you want to get your bedding wet?  I don't think your room steward will like bending over making your bed each day on the balcony.  Hardly any room to maneuver around just sitting out there.  IMHO it's a bad idea.

If you read my posts right you would have noticed that I did already slept on the balcony and enjoyed it very much. See post 77. We were on the same cruise as you and did not have any rain except on one of the tours in a port, if it did rain we did not notice because our balcony had full cover from the decks above. (we must have been on the right side of the ship😉).

As for the cabin steward, he liked it because he only had to make one bed (I made my own every night). And there is plenty of room on the Caribe deck balconies, they are about 8 ft from door to railing and as wide as the cabin.

I read your review on our roll-call and although I agree with most of your remarks I disagree with your comment about the service. There are of course always some minor isues but nothing to make a big fuss over. 

Theo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renmar said:

If you read my posts right you would have noticed that I did already slept on the balcony and enjoyed it very much. See post 77. We were on the same cruise as you and did not have any rain except on one of the tours in a port, if it did rain we did not notice because our balcony had full cover from the decks above. (we must have been on the right side of the ship😉).

As for the cabin steward, he liked it because he only had to make one bed (I made my own every night). And there is plenty of room on the Caribe deck balconies, they are about 8 ft from door to railing and as wide as the cabin.

I read your review on our roll-call and although I agree with most of your remarks I disagree with your comment about the service. There are of course always some minor isues but nothing to make a big fuss over. 

Theo

I read it and saw your pics, glad you enjoyed sleeping out on your balcony.  I didn't make a fuiss over the service, IMHO it wasn't as good as some cruises we have been on.  It was my experience.  Our cabin steward wasn't up to par.

Edited by elliair

6 hours ago, GloriaF said:

I think a hammock would be the easiest solution, but having trouble figuring out how it could attach -- one end to the rail and the other to the balcony divider?  

They work best on the aft-facing balcony cabins because they're longer.  I've seen people hang them diagonally.

6 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

The idea of sleeping on a mattress after someone's dragged it out on the balcony in that moist, dirty air really worries me. 

Own air mattress was used.

My last post on this subject.

Theo

Edited by Renmar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ONT-CA said:

When we were telephoned and advised by our cabin neighbour immediately above us to take a look out our balcony window, we had one thought in mind.  Soot!.  The previous postings about soot migration was of interest but as never experienced, we we’re not sure what we were looking at.

Advising the front desk, which took some time and the odd use of the English language, we achieved having supervisory people look into the mess.  No one could tells what it was and no one ventured out onto the balcony to so determine.  No one had any idea as to it’s origin but we all shared the same facial concerns as to the worst scenario.

The clean-up crew working into the night cleaning the whole area and presumably those adjacent if also contaminated.

And as a picture says a 1,000 words….

000_0018-1.JPG

Does one really want to put ones bed on the balcony?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Renmar said:

Update;

Slept on the balcony for 15 nights out of the 19 during our Panama Canal cruise (Caribe Deck). The balcony is plenty large enough to accommodate my twin air mattress -the 2 chairs - 2 footstools & the table. During the day the Mattress was stored upright against the side wall out of sight to everybody. The first night out I had the bed against the railing but realized the next morning that it would be visible from the Aloha deck because our cabin was in the recessed part of the Coral Princess.

Our cabin steward supplied me with a Queen Size blanket, a bunch of pool towels and an extra pillow. The pillow was so I did not have to use the pillow from the bed in the cabin. Being on deck 10 in that recessed part there was no issue with seawater spray, hence no salt. We had very calm seas and no rain with outside temperatures around 25 degrees Celsius every night except the first and last night.

I would recommend to try it at least ones, it's awesome to sleep under the stars.

2107684134_P1010299(Custom).thumb.JPG.0b08f384411ee24d31afec8f0dfc079b.JPGP1010287-1152x648.thumb.jpg.bfb208f57fdad4bf7a10ac31e14e71aa.jpg

Yes!! I had forgotten about this thread, but I'm so glad you came back with an update, and I'm very glad you did get to try it and found it as enjoyable as I did. 🙂 A lot of people who haven't tried it don't understand the logistics or realize how great it is, those of us who have, won't forget the experience.

11 hours ago, elliair said:

Check post 77. The pictures make me want to do it!

• 1 month later...

Did you notice that Celebrity have stolen the idea and you can sleep in a cabana on deck and get breakfast in bed and you pay extra for it.......  OMG they wouldn't want to see me in the morning getting out of bed ... and god only knows what you are meant to do when you visit the little room during the night.....

Cheers Don