C&F Insurance

esper10

hi all,

I never purchased an insurance other than the cruise line insurance. I’m planning a trip and have a father in a nursing home so I don’t know if I will need to cut my trip short due to health reasons of his such going to the hospital. So far so good but I want to cover myself. I called insureds my trip and was offered the C&F insurance. It is only for a flight overseas. It is important INSURE FOR ANY REASON. Has any one had an experience with them? It is always easy to pay but many times hard to collect if needed. Thanks

Sorry about your Dad.

Go to insuremytrip.com And read it. And call them if you need help. They and their website will explain everything you need to know (and more) about travel insurance. I don't think you need to pay for 'cancel for any reason' insurance - I BELIEVE that serious health issues of close family relatives are going to be included in any broad policy.

You need to look for insurance to make your way home from a cruise port - NOT just refunding your cruise fare or one night in a hotel for missed fights or lost luggage. (If anyone can't afford to eat those unexpected expenses, imho, you shouldn't be taking an expensive cruise.)

Most people make a big mistake when they buy travel insurance: They buy insurance to cover the cost of their cruise fare and those small unexpected expenses. Travel insurance should be purchased to cover catastrophic expenses - medical expenses and evacuation for medical and (maybe) family emergencies.

Sorry about your Dad.

Go to insuremytrip.com And read it. And call them if you need help. They and their website will explain everything you need to know (and more) about travel insurance. I don't think you need to pay for 'cancel for any reason' insurance - I BELIEVE that serious health issues of close family relatives are going to be included in any broad policy.

You need to look for insurance to make your way home from a cruise port - NOT just refunding your cruise fare or one night in a hotel for missed fights or lost luggage. (If anyone can't afford to eat those unexpected expenses, imho, you shouldn't be taking an expensive cruise.)

Most people make a big mistake when they buy travel insurance: They buy insurance to cover the cost of their cruise fare and those small unexpected expenses. Travel insurance should be purchased to cover catastrophic expenses - medical expenses and evacuation for medical and (maybe) family emergencies.

I agree with all of this. insuremytrip & squaremouth.com are both good options. Call them and speak to a rep that can walk you through the process. Ask them what is not covered by the policy. This is as important to know as what is covered.

:)

hi all,

I never purchased an insurance other than the cruise line insurance. I’m planning a trip and have a father in a nursing home so I don’t know if I will need to cut my trip short due to health reasons of his such going to the hospital. So far so good but I want to cover myself. I called insureds my trip and was offered the C&F insurance. It is only for a flight overseas. It is important INSURE FOR ANY REASON. Has any one had an experience with them? It is always easy to pay but many times hard to collect if needed. Thanks

I am not a travel insurance expert but I did a lot a research before buying this year. I wanted any reason to cancel but also needed healthy amount of medical coverage . In the past I have bought the Celebrity insurance. It does provide "any reason to cancel" but does not give cash back, you get 75% credit to cruise again. The cost of the insurance was very reasonable. It would not would work for me anymore because of the amount of medical coverage. I would call insuremytrip again and ask specifically about "any reason to cancel ." There are nuisances like look back periods and the details of pre-existing condtions that the explained to me in language I could understand. I was able to get it (it was pricey but worth is for the peace of mind.) You may be OK with the Celebrity insurance, if you don't mind the credit, as opposed to the cash.

Good luck. I hope your dad is ok .

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

I am not a travel insurance expert but I did a lot a research before buying this year. I wanted any reason to cancel but also needed healthy amount of medical coverage . In the past I have bought the Celebrity insurance. It does provide "any reason to cancel" but does not give cash back, you get 75% credit to cruise again. The cost of the insurance was very reasonable. It would not would work for me anymore because of the amount of medical coverage. I would call insuremytrip again and ask specifically about "any reason to cancel ." There are nuisances like look back periods and the details of pre-existing condtions that the explained to me in language I could understand. I was able to get it (it was pricey but worth is for the peace of mind.) You may be OK with the Celebrity insurance, if you don't mind the credit, as opposed to the cash.

Good luck. I hope your dad is ok .

For US residents: With all due respect, you will NOT "be okay" with X insurance if you have any medical expenses over $10,000. That's a pittance. Medicare does not cover medical outside the USA. Very few, if any, employer group insurance provides this coverage. Insurance purchased on the ACA exchange has no internationally coverage.

And evacuation costs? Estimate $30-50,000.

Regardless of one's age, if you are leaving the USA on a cruise ship, get medical coverage. (An argument could be made if traveling exclusively in Mexico or the UK, but it's still a big risk.)

PS - need medical services on the ship? Get out your credit card. It ain't free.

Your comments on pre existing conditions are accurate. It's important to note that most policies require that insurance be purchased within the first ten days after your first reservation related to a trip to eliminate pre existing condition exclusions. Some policies allow 30 days, and a very few allow until you make final payment.

For US residents: With all due respect, you will NOT "be okay" with X insurance if you have any medical expenses over $10,000. That's a pittance. Medicare does not cover medical outside the USA. Very few, if any, employer group insurance provides this coverage. Insurance purchased on the ACA exchange has no internationally coverage.

And evacuation costs? Estimate $30-50,000.

Regardless of one's age, if you are leaving the USA on a cruise ship, get medical coverage. (An argument could be made if traveling exclusively in Mexico or the UK, but it's still a big risk.)

PS - need medical services on the ship? Get out your credit card. It ain't free.

Your comments on pre existing conditions are accurate. It's important to note that most policies require that insurance be purchased within the first ten days after your first reservation related to a trip to eliminate pre existing condition exclusions. Some policies allow 30 days, and a very few allow until you make final payment.

I agree with you 100% on the medical. You MUST know your health coverage before leaving the country. We have medicare plus great coverage from my former employer (Uncle Sam.) However, once I leave the US we have zero medical coverage. I have been very care now to cover us for all eventualities (hopefully.) I had long talk and lesson from insuremytrip. It was costly (since I chose any reason to cancel as well) but worth the peace of mind.

I believe the OP did talk with insuremytrip.com and that's how they got where they are now. I use the C&F insurance they are referring to with the cancel/interrupt for any reason provisions. It used to be called Travel Insured International and I have been buying it for years. Used to only get World Wide Trip Protector and I did have a claim on that when my father died 2 days before a cruise. They paid everything promptly. Only other claim was when my DW and I came down with Noro at 3 AM on debarkation day. They paid for a hotel room, taxi and change fees to move our flight to the next day. I always buy the policy within a few days of the initial deposit to get the pre-existing condition waiver.

Now we are primary care takers for my mother in-law. For us to travel she has to go to my sister in-laws to stay. We now get the WWTP Plus to get the cancel for any reason coverage (again you must buy the policy within 21 days from initial trip payment) so we can cancel for any uncovered reason like my sister in-law can't take her at the time of the cruise.