Headliners / Entertainers

I was on the Grandeur last week and Michael Grimm, winner of America’s Got Talent year 5 was the headliner. He was FANTASTIC, There was also an enjoyable Beatles tribute band, Britain’s Finest. My nose was out of joint for the first couple of days of the cruise due to the roast beef on hard roll no longer being served at the Park Cafe and changes to the MDR menus. However, by the end of the cruise, all was forgiven as the Michael Grimm concert was a highlight for me. My first cruise was on the NCL Gem the first year she sailed and the entertainment every night was outstanding while the food was mediocre, at best, but I loved the cruise. My next cruise was on the Carnival Pride where the food was quite good but the entertainment and activities just dreadful. So, I have come to the conclusion that good shows in the theater are very important to me. It goes without saying that my idea of a “good show” may not be the same as someone else’s.

I would be interested in hearing what headliners have appeared on other ships. I understand the shows are fantastic on the biggest ships but also have heard you won’t get in to see them unless you make reservations long before you get on the ship.

What headliners have been on ships you’ve been on?

I was on the Grandeur last week and Michael Grimm, winner of America’s Got Talent year 5 was the headliner. He was FANTASTIC, There was also an enjoyable Beatles tribute band, Britain’s Finest. My nose was out of joint for the first couple of days of the cruise due to the roast beef on hard roll no longer being served at the Park Cafe and changes to the MDR menus. However, by the end of the cruise, all was forgiven as the Michael Grimm concert was a highlight for me. My first cruise was on the NCL Gem the first year she sailed and the entertainment every night was outstanding while the food was mediocre, at best, but I loved the cruise. My next cruise was on the Carnival Pride where the food was quite good but the entertainment and activities just dreadful. So, I have come to the conclusion that good shows in the theater are very important to me. It goes without saying that my idea of a “good show” may not be the same as someone else’s.

I would be interested in hearing what headliners have appeared on other ships. I understand the shows are fantastic on the biggest ships but also have heard you won’t get in to see them unless you make reservations long before you get on the ship.

Saw Michael Grimm on Navigator and you're right.......he was very good. I talked with him and his wife in the pub and he told me his agent was working on a long term deal with Royal.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We saw Britain's Finest on Grandeur and loved their show.

We also had the roast beef in January in park cafe. When did that end? Was it when the new menu was introduced?

We saw Britain's Finest on Grandeur and loved their show.

We also had the roast beef in January in park cafe. When did that end? Was it when the new menu was introduced?

I don’t know when they stopped serving it but it was not on the March 15 sailing. Late night at the Park Cafe was only hot dogs, sometimes pizza and notchos along with the finger sandwiches and sweets in the display cases. The first couple of days they did carved pork one or two days and carved turkey, with the hard roll, but by the 4th day it was mostly tortillas, cheese, salsa and taco meat, and hot dogs. I was not impressed but it was probably for the best. I didn’t gain any weight!

Last week on Allure, we had Earl Turner, a great entertainer who has done shows in Vegas. We loved him, he was hilarious too! He did snippets of several slow songs where I got sleepy but other than that, great, high energy show.
I enjoyed Earl also.....

I'd much rather have singers that juggelers

How do you feel about the ball twirlers?
You know how some people hate clowns? That's how I feel about Juggelers....lol

I have a joke about "ball twirlers" but I don't need anymore Cruise Critic infractions.

You know how some people hate clowns? That's how I feel about Juggelers....lol

I have a joke about "ball twirlers" but I don't need anymore Cruise Critic infractions.

I can't believe you ever get an infraction.

We had El Gaucho BOTH weeks on Adventure.

So on my 3 Royal Cruises we got:

- an ABBA tribute band

- an impressionist/singer, who did impressions of current-day stars like George Burns and Frank Sinatra

- a Motown singing Star Search winner.

Make no mistake, all three acts were great at what they did, but their material skewed pretty old (ABBA band being the most contemporary, but I’m not an ABBA fan) and cruisers were leaving the theatre in droves. I felt pretty bad about leaving, but the kids weren’t into the acts.

We have enjoyed Finis Henderson several times and look forward to seeing him again.

B2B Jewel this winter we enjoyed Finis Henderson and Tony Tillman. Also a Journey Tribute band put on a pretty good concert on Independence a few weeks ago:)

I loved the Journey Tribute Band (Don't Stop Believing), but there are so many good ones that I can't remember right off hand. The Beatles Tribute band is one of our favorites. The Oasis class ships have excellent shows. Mama Mia on Allure is a WOW, but Cats on Oasis is too long. The entertainment on the larger ships are worth the price of the cruise to me! You should make reservations as soon as you can for all the shows on the larger ships.

• Like 1

On Oasis, we saw Wild and James. They are two jugglers who do comedy. My kids loved them. which helped me like them more than I would have if it had just been my husband and me.

I enjoyed the Abba tribute band the couple of times we saw them. I do not like the band Journey, so I didn't like DSB, but my husband thought they were great.

Loved Michael Grimm on America's Got Talent!

On the Harmony during Hurricane Irma we had Jeff Tracta, impressionist and the "Singing Trump" from the most recent season of America's Got Talent. I will admit I wasn't too excited for him as I'd seen the show and I didn't like him then, but he does SO more than just the Trump act. It's fantastic and hilarious! We also had a comedian/juggler as a second headliner later due to the extended cruise.

Thanks for the responses. I’ll look up some of them on youtube. The best comedian I’ve ever heard was Ross Bennett on NCL’s Gem in 2008, I think. He was hilarious and I watch his YouTube clips from time to time when I need a good laugh. I try to check his website periodically, but it looks like his gig on the Gem was a one time only thing as his schedule has never listed any other cruise.

• 1 year later...

I have been following these boards for a while and I have seen questions about favorite drinks, favorite food, etc.   But other than random mentions in trip reports, I really haven’t seen a summary list of favorite entertainers.    Not the big production shows themselves, but the rotating bands, headliners, lounge acts, etc.   I’ve seen good ones, but some just seem to be on a different level.   I’ll start out with some standouts for me with my limited experience on my most recent sailings of Allure and Grandeur.     

• Centerpiece - On Allure of the Seas last year the rock band named Centerpiece performed in Dazzles off and on in the evening.  Excellent band especially the lead guitarist.  I wanted to hear them more.  Their sets were amazing. 
  • Las Vegas Tenors.   This was a Headliner group also on Allure and a lot more entertaining than I expected.  My whole party enjoyed this group.  
  • Gary Caouette – Stand-up Comedian.   He had the ‘required’ cruise jokes, but many were more creative than I’ve heard before.   If I’m guessing the punchline before it’s delivered, as in most of the comedians I’ve seen on board, then the performance doesn’t really stand for me.   I really enjoyed his sets and as a plus, he didn’t rely so heavily on ‘adult’ shock humor which I think is a crutch. 

What are some of your favorites and why?     

• Like 1

Great idea for a thread!

I've got to give a huge shout-out to Amy Jo Slater who just began her show, A Night with Adele. We saw her twice on Adventure as a Royal Caribbean Singer while she was trying the show out. Kudos to Royal for letting one of their own create a show! We saw her again in September on Navigator when she was an official headliner!

We've seen Lou Gazarra a few times also, and he's always been good.

Not a "Headliner" though he is to us; a shout-out to Kelly Goodrich.  Kelly is a piano bar entertainer who is now nine years under contract with Royal Caribbean.  You will generally find him in the Schooner Bar where he plays 6 night weekly and does tribute shows.  Neal Diamond, Jimmy Buffet, Elvis, The Beetles and Elton John are among the entertainers he does tributes to.  He's always good!

Edited by CORKY_Q
Spelling

• Clarea changed the title to Headliners / Entertainers