Rhine River Cruise: excursion to Heidelberg or cruise for the scenic views?

dr alaok

:cool::cool:We will be taking a Viking river cruise on the Rhine in June and are trying to decide on our excursions. We have a free option to disembark and transfer for a tour of Heidelberg which is supposed to be fantastic. Those that don't go to Heidelberg will stay on board and sail to another town. The sailing is supposed to be thorough a scenic area and is supposed to be very gorgeous.

We are considering staying on board to enjoy the scenic views. Looking for anyone that has done this cruise and can provide some information as to the pros and cons of staying on board or not.

Thanks.

We are sailing from north to south from Amsterdam to Basel. I was told the group will join the ship later in Gernsheim or Mannheim depending on the direction of the cruise. I am not familiar with the towns but looking on a map these two towns seem to be north of Heidelberg which doesn't make sense to me.??

We are sailing from north to south from Amsterdam to Basel. I was told the group will join the ship later in Gernsheim or Mannheim depending on the direction of the cruise. I am not familiar with the towns but looking on a map these two towns seem to be north of Heidelberg which doesn't make sense to me.??

Last year on our AB cruise the Heidelberg tour rejoined the ship at Speyer. Heidelberg itself was lovely but we were slightly underwhelmed by the castle despite its beauty as a romantic ruin, mainly because the Viking tour was restricted to the outside parts (apart from the gift shop) and in July it was very crowded with tourists, most of whom were on organised trips so moving around in groups. If we did that excursion again we'd take the 'stay in downtown Heidelberg' option - it's possible to take the funicular up to the castle to get some panoramic views if desired.

There's a fascinating looking technical museum at Speyer, not far from the Viking berth, which we didn't have time to visit because we'd been to Heidelberg. Speyer itself looks worth a visit so if you're not bothered about Heidelberg I should think that between the scenic cruise and the attractions at Speyer you'll have plenty to keep you occupied.

If you have never been to Heidelberg, it is a must, especially if you are American, and especially if nice weather. Yes, it is touristy, has been since WW2 when it was one of the few towns that had not been bombed into oblivion, and after which many American troops were stationed for decades in nearby Mannheim. A lot of history is there, old German and new, e.g., the heart of Patton’s 3rd Army back in the day.

The view from the castle ruins down to the river is beautiful, and if you have opportunity to walk in the old town, in the pedestrian zone, and near the old bridge at the river, it is great fun, with much eating and drinking and shopping near the old Marktplatz and beyond. I hope you have a great time, whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where will you disembark for the transfer, dr alaok? You need to bear in mind that the ship sails slowly upstream and you will not cover many kilometres. Is Heidelberg a full day excursion? Then you could be able to do scenic cruising and still have time to wander around the town where you will pick up the passengers coming back from Heidelberg. But it may not be the case, it is not clear yet from the description how the process will work out. I have not been to Heidelberg, but personally I think you would miss out if you did not go. If you think you'd rather not have a long time away from the ship and are offered freetime in Speyer (technical museum or UNESCO world heritage site) or Mannheim (Baroque palace) or Gernsheim (interesting fortress) then it could be alright. Yet, so many people have reported positively about Heidelberg, I would say, better go...

notamermaid

Going north to south:

The most scenic part of the Rhine is between Koblenz and Rudesheim. Farther south to Mannheim is interesting but has a lot of industry along the river. If you dock in Rudesheim before the Heidelberg option, you will have already seen the best of the Rhine valley. You might want to check this out on your map.

Heidelberg is a fine experience with a magnificent view from the castle terrace. The castle interiors are indifferent, the building having been burnt in the 17th century. But the exterior is very fine. You might want to check out Heidelberg on Wikipedia.

Quote: "You might want to check out Heidelberg on Wikipedia." Good idea! May I just add: http://www.heidelberg-marketing.de/en.html

Heidelberg on the Neckar cannot be reached by the long river cruise ships, hence the fact that the companies all bus people there. Fron what I have heard the coaches are modern and comfortable and the journey is not that long, from Mannheim for example about 35 minutes. From Rüdesheim it would be much longer, of course.

notamermaid

Heidelberg really shouldn't be missed on a Rhine River Cruise. The castle is a fantastic look into history - and one of the few you get to explore - although you will see many from afar as you cruise through the Rhine Valley.

The town itself can be a bit busy, but that it was makes it fun. It is a lively city, a real livable city, and as such has plenty to do and see.

Tips:

For a snack, look for "Schnitzelbank", a small restaurant tucked away in a back alley that serves great plates in a communal atmosphere. For a traditional German Beer, Vetter Brewing is right near the waterfront and serves up 'big' and 'little' steins, plus you can get a Bavarian style pretzel! :beer-toast:

We have not received specific info on disembarking yet but the following is a description of the excursion which is six hours long:

"See the castle and old medieval town so steeped in romance that they stood at the center of the German Romantic movement. You will join your guide for a drive to Heidelberg, several miles up the Neckar River. The town sits on a narrow passage of the river at one end of the graceful Old Bridge. You will ascend to the majestic Heidelberg Castle, which has long inspired writers as varied as Johann von Goethe and Mark Twain. Originally built during the early 13th century, it was the residence of the Palatinate monarchy through the 18th century. Descend into the Altstadt, or Old Town, for a walking tour toward the turreted Heidelberg University. Founded in 1386, it is Germany’s oldest. You can see the school’s tower in which unruly boys were incarcerated for misdeeds, and the Red Ox tavern in which they boasted to their mates about their imprisonment."

Based on the info you all have provided we will probably go to Heidelberg since it will be a once in a lifetime experience.

Thanks to all!

We have not received specific info on disembarking yet but the following is a description of the excursion which is six hours long:

"See the castle and old medieval town so steeped in romance that they stood at the center of the German Romantic movement. You will join your guide for a drive to Heidelberg, several miles up the Neckar River. The town sits on a narrow passage of the river at one end of the graceful Old Bridge. You will ascend to the majestic Heidelberg Castle, which has long inspired writers as varied as Johann von Goethe and Mark Twain. Originally built during the early 13th century, it was the residence of the Palatinate monarchy through the 18th century. Descend into the Altstadt, or Old Town, for a walking tour toward the turreted Heidelberg University. Founded in 1386, it is Germany’s oldest. You can see the school’s tower in which unruly boys were incarcerated for misdeeds, and the Red Ox tavern in which they boasted to their mates about their imprisonment."

Based on the info you all have provided we will probably go to Heidelberg since it will be a once in a lifetime experience.

Thanks to all!

I think you have made the right choice. I have visited Heidelberg many times over the years and it is certainly worth seeing at least once. The stretch of the Rhine you will miss on the boat has little to offer as it not very scenic at all.

Having said that, Speyer is a very interesting historic city founded by the Romans and an important Imperial City of the Holy Roman Emperor. The Technik Museum is outstanding and includes a Boeing 747 perched on a tower about 20 metres above the ground. You can climb the tower and walk through the aircraft and out on one of its wings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this cruise in 2016 and had been to Heidelberg on a previous Viking cruise. We stayed onboard on what turned out to be a perfect sunny day and enjoyed sailing to Speyer with just the crew and a few other passengers. Once we docked in Speyer, we walked about five minutes to the Tedhnik museum (mentioned above) which is an awesome place if you like planes, vintage vehicles and all things mechanical. It’s a huge place and we spent about three hours there, then walked around Speyer itself (about a 15 minute walk through a lovely park) on our own. Here is a link to the Technik museum in case you change your mind.

https://speyer.technik-museum.de/en/