First time on Norwegian

PBECH1973

What is the dress code on Norwegian and is there any formal nights on 7 day cruises. I am also going to ask my girlfriend on Norwegian to marry me. Any suggestions where to propose onboard. I will be sailing on the Bliss March 23rd 2019. Out of Miami for a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Forums mobile app

Clothing Info

WHAT TO WEAR

On Norwegian, you can pretty much wear what you want to wear, when you want to wear it. Go cruise casual or get all-decked out and look your best — it's totally your call. That's the freedom of Freestyle Cruising.

DRESS FOR THE DESTINATION

Whether your destination is warm and sunny or crisp and cool, packing layers will your best bet. Also think about the shore excursions you'll be taking and pack accordingly, including comfy walking shoes. For kids and adults it's good to pack a pair of closed toe shoes for active shore excursions and sports activities on board. And be sure to pack a sweater — the air conditioning can be chilly.

DRESS FOR THE EVENT

Our newest event, Norwegian's Night Out, is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up for an evening of cocktails, fine dining and great entertainment. You may also want to pack an all-white ensemble for our iconic White Hot Party.

CRUISE CASUAL

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

A FEW CONSIDERATIONS

Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. However, tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

There are no formal nights. NCL embraces the "Dress Up or Not" philosophy. You can wear shorts in all restaurants except Le Bistro and Ocean Blue.

For a romantic dinner, pick Le Bistro French restaurant.

You could consider going out walking on the Waterfront (weather permitting) after dinner and propose under the moonlight.

Clothing Info

WHAT TO WEAR

On Norwegian, you can pretty much wear what you want to wear, when you want to wear it. Go cruise casual or get all-decked out and look your best — it's totally your call. That's the freedom of Freestyle Cruising.

DRESS FOR THE DESTINATION

Whether your destination is warm and sunny or crisp and cool, packing layers will your best bet. Also think about the shore excursions you'll be taking and pack accordingly, including comfy walking shoes. For kids and adults it's good to pack a pair of closed toe shoes for active shore excursions and sports activities on board. And be sure to pack a sweater — the air conditioning can be chilly.

DRESS FOR THE EVENT

Our newest event, Norwegian's Night Out, is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up for an evening of cocktails, fine dining and great entertainment. You may also want to pack an all-white ensemble for our iconic White Hot Party.

CRUISE CASUAL

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

SMART CASUAL

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

A FEW CONSIDERATIONS

Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. However, tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

I have sailed on Carnival 12 times looking forward to sailing on the Bliss. How is Norwegian and the entertainment this will be new experience for both of us.

The (more formal but still flexible) 'Night Out' tends to happen earlier in the cruise and gives you and her the opportunity to dress up a bit. About 10 men on the whole ship will do a tuxedo, 100 will do a jacket and tie, 300 will do a jacket no tie, 1000 will do nice shirt/pants and 500 will still have their "come at me bro" t-shirt on...

The White hot party is more an 'anything kinda white goes' type party and some people get really extravagant about it... very much party style.

I think 'where' you ask is a personal thing... You could take a knee on the very forward sun deck before or after dinner, you'd likely be largely alone and under the stars. Or... pick a restaurant, Le Bistro or Cagneys and hit that knee between the main course and dessert. You'll have an audience, probably get applause and a glass of Champagne.

Me... I'd take the latter approach, she'll cry, people will cry, people will clap and you'll look like a knight in shining armor. Given that, I'd do it on the 'Night Out' night... then relish the whole experience and party a bit on the White night...

Very cool dude... I've asked too many women to marry me, loved them all and loved every moment.

Hi, I am also new to NCL. We'll be heading to Alaska in May. We can actually 'book' our spot for shows??

It depends on the ship.

On older ships (those older than the Epic), there is no reservations for shows.

On the newer ships you can make reservations for some entertainment beforehand. This is the main theatre shows and the dinner shows. There may be one or two others that have reservations available.

They aren’t essential. You can turn up and wait in line, but it isn’t guaranteed you will get in.

Unless your Alaska trip is on the Bliss then you can’t reserve entertainment. I’m assuming that May is too early for the Bliss (I don’t recall the actual date it gets to Alaska).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the dress code on Norwegian and is there any formal nights on 7 day cruises. I am also going to ask my girlfriend on Norwegian to marry me. Any suggestions where to propose onboard. I will be sailing on the Bliss March 23rd 2019. Out of Miami for a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise

Talk to a Officer from Guest Services or Cruise Director about a place, many great places on the ship to propose. You can also set up with the ships Photo Video department to record the event.

But the first thing you need to work out, cannot be answered here. Only you or people that know your wife to be can answer a very important question. Would she like a big public event or a smaller private event for you to propose to her? Once you know this many places and times will work.

Do you want to be creative, involve some of the special features of the ship or just do at dinner? Also planning really helps find out the cruise director's email and send a message. Even if wrong director should help you to right person. Really almost any officer or manger on the hotel side is a good place to start.

There is usually one night that's get a little dressier than others, but you can dress up any time if you want.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement. That is exciting. I was once on a cruise and went out to the front of the ship (can't recall which deck-it was just below the Crew 'driving' the ship area.) we accessed it from one of the cabin hallways. Walked out and noticed two wine glasses and some flowers. A man proposed there to his fiancé. Another couple was there with them when he did it. It was a sweet moment, only spoiled in my eyes by the brides constant swearing how surprised she was about it.

There is usually one night that's get a little dressier than others, but you can dress up any time if you want.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement. That is exciting. I was once on a cruise and went out to the front of the ship (can't recall which deck-it was just below the Crew 'driving' the ship area.) we accessed it from one of the cabin hallways. Walked out and noticed two wine glasses and some flowers. A man proposed there to his fiancé. Another couple was there with them when he did it. It was a sweet moment, only spoiled in my eyes by the brides constant swearing how surprised she was about it.

Thank you I've been on 15 cruises on Carnival this will be my first on Norwegian. Looking forward to it. How is the entertainment on board?

We just sailed the Carnival Glory this February after having sailed NCL for our last 6 cruises (well, 5 NCL cruises for my hubs). We enjoyed Carnival and thought food and entertainment were on par with NCL, though NCL has a slight edge for better entertainment and many more show options that change throughout the week (at least on bigger ships). On the Glory, much of the same entertainment was offered night after night, and even though we enjoyed it, the piano player at the piano bar playing "Tiny Dancer" (by request, so I guess not much he can do about it if he wanted to make tips) each night was kinda old by the end. Good and fun piano player, however! The same with other bands around the ship, and one show in the main theater. Good, but the same thing each night.

The biggest difference we noticed between Carnival and NCL was the service. Staff on NCL, to us, just seem friendlier and more on top of making sure you're getting exactly what you need or request. They say hi to you in the hallways - or in one case on the Escape, while a room steward was making up a bed in someone's room and heard our voices coming from the hall, stopped, looked up, smiled, and said hello to us from the room. We still remember that a couple years later and talk about it when we return to our rooms on cruises. We also felt that bar service on NCL was a bit friendlier (and drinks better!), but MDR service was equal. All the waiters on both lines in the MDR have been great.

As for proposing, if you have a balcony, that's a good option. That's where my DH proposed to me, under the moonlight. I don't like to be the center of attention, and easily embarass, so I'm glad he did it there vs. anywhere publicly. We have yet to cruise in that room again, but will one of these days!

Happy sailing!

Edited by dolita22
Small edits

How is the entertainment on board?

I think someone answered this question for you earlier, but I'll weigh in. I've sailed NCL and RCCL, never Carnival. My kids have sailed all 3...so in THEIR opinion, Carnival is the least when it comes to entertainment. But from what I can gather, the shows like comedians, magicians, etc., are a bit hit and miss on ANY line. Production shows (with the singers and dancers) have been better on NCL than RCCL. "Real" shows (Broadway-style productions) like MAMMA MIA on the Allure or ROCK OF AGES on NCL are overall of good quality...these are the ones I'd encourage you to book in advance. Yes, you'll hear there's no need, and walk-ins are never turned away...but that's not always true. We were on Allure last year, and saw folks turned away from a handful of shows. Why not reduce the stress and just go ahead and pick a night. You don't pick a seat, you just guarantee that you'll get into the show.