Florence/Pisa Port

srbbeachbum

We will be on a Princess cruise of the Mediterranean in October. One of the stops is Florence/Pisa.

I'm wondering if we do a short excursion that is offered by Princess in the morning, will there be anything to do at the port on our own for the afternoon. In other words, will we be able to find something to do on our own right there at the port or close by?

Joan

If you look over on the Italy board (where Livorno, the port for Florence and Pisa is), you will see lots of info for Livorno.

Livorno is an industrial port, and you will need to take a shuttle or taxi into town. Pisa is 45 minutes away, Florence is 90.

Not a lot exciting in Livorno.

If you look over on the Italy board (where Livorno, the port for Florence and Pisa is), you will see lots of info for Livorno.

Livorno is an industrial port, and you will need to take a shuttle or taxi into town. Pisa is 45 minutes away, Florence is 90.

Not a lot exciting in Livorno.

Ok thanks. Forgot to change from the France board to Italy!

Hi Joan,

You are on the same cruise as us. We sailed on this itinerary 3 years ago and Florence was THE most beautiful city of all.

I highly recommend a trip with both Florence and Pisa.

Since my husband and I did a private 8-person tour last time we were there, this time we are going to take the Princess excursion of Florence on your Own, since it will allow a lot of free time in Florence.

For our private tour we prepurchased tix to climb the leaning tower. Many people choose not to climb, and we pre-purchased our tix online to the Accademia where David is.

I am surprised that there isn’t more activity on our roll call. The last roll call I was on, many of us created private tours and tours were full nine months out. Here we are not even six months, and there is very little chatter.

With my last cruise interest really picked up 3 months to six weeks out.

Dana

Hi Dana,

Thanks for the suggestions. I also noticed not much activity on our Roll Call page. Maybe it will pick up soon.

Right now I am looking at what Princess has to offer for excursions. I've only used Cruise Critics(for a British Isles cruise) once and joined excursions that others set up. But I'll keep an eye out on our roll call to see what others are doing.

Joan

Hi Dana,

Thanks for the suggestions. I also noticed not much activity on our Roll Call page. Maybe it will pick up soon.

Right now I am looking at what Princess has to offer for excursions. I've only used Cruise Critics(for a British Isles cruise) once and joined excursions that others set up. But I'll keep an eye out on our roll call to see what others are doing.

Joan

Hi Joan,

I will probably be organizing a 12-person tour in the next few days for Katakolon with a very good company that we used three years ago when we were in Athens. Stay tuned. [emoji3]

Hi Joan,

I will probably be organizing a 12-person tour in the next few days for Katakolon with a very good company that we used three years ago when we were in Athens. Stay tuned. [emoji3]

Great. Looking forward to see what you find.

Joan

Great. Looking forward to see what you find.

Joan

I’m working with the tour operator to do a six-hour combo tour of the ancient ruins for two or three hours with tour guide for a group of 12, and a visit to a small family-owned winery for a couple hours where we will have the option to wine taste or not and have appetizers. [emoji3] The winery looks nicer to me than the one Princess uses for its tours.

I’m working with the tour operator to do a six-hour combo tour of the ancient ruins for two or three hours with tour guide for a group of 12, and a visit to a small family-owned winery for a couple hours where we will have the option to wine taste or not and have appetizers. [emoji3] The winery looks nicer to me than the one Princess uses for its tours.

Sounds good. I need to get on our Roll Call for small group excursions. We prefer the smaller groups rather than the large motor coaches.

Joan

Having been to Livorno several times and done Tuscan countryside tours, bus and train trips to Florence/Pisa, on our last trip we decided to get the shuttle into Livorno and just explore the town. We were pleasantly surprised, there is quite a bit to see and just enjoyed wandering around plus taking a boat trip on the canals and harbor.

We’ve been to Livorno a couple of times and the cheapest tours are run by TuscanyBus. They picked up where the shuttle drops off.

I think it’s:

$15eu for Pisa

$28eu for Lucca and Pisa

$30eu for Florence and Pisa

We went to Pisa in 2008 and did the Lucca combo last October. Free wifi on the bus seems to shorten the drive.

We don't usually do ship booked excursions but made the exception on this cruise itinerary and booked the Florence/Pisa DIY it worked out just great for us. It gave us a bit of time in Pisa (that's all that was needed) and several hours on our own in Florence. Our guide onboard the shuttle bus was just wonderful. As we drove he gave us so much information and once into Florence a walking map. He walked us to a plaza (can't remember the name) showed us the meeting place and a shop that we could use for bathroom breaks. This worked out so well and easy...something to consider if your ship offers a DYI.