After corking fee in MDR, do they add gratuity

CU64

No, only $15 corkage. It would not be possible to calculate a gratuity - 15% of what?

15% of $15 which would be $2.25. On my last cruise that actually showed up once. I might have asked for that back but then hit a waiter who did not charge me corkage twice so figured I was way ahead. Brought on 5 bottles and did not pay corkage at embarkation as we were in first group and the TABLE was not yet set up.

15% of $15 which would be $2.25. On my last cruise that actually showed up once. I might have asked for that back but then hit a waiter who did not charge me corkage twice so figured I was way ahead. Brought on 5 bottles and did not pay corkage at embarkation as we were in first group and the TABLE was not yet set up.

I have never paid a gratuity on the corkage fee. What would the gratuity be for? I get the 15% on drinks - it's the source of gratuities for bar staff and dining room waiters benefit from the daily gratuity, but as I see it the 'gratuity' on a fee is a tax.

I have never paid a gratuity on the corkage fee. What would the gratuity be for? I get the 15% on drinks - it's the source of gratuities for bar staff and dining room waiters benefit from the daily gratuity, but as I see it the 'gratuity' on a fee is a tax.

I agree but was simply stating the facts as they occurred.

By the way when you bring wine and pay corkage in a restaurant on land do you not calculate the tip on the entire bill. I and my wine drinking friends do. Remember the corkage is a restaurant charge and the tip is given to the server for service provided.

By the way when you bring wine and pay corkage in a restaurant on land do you not calculate the tip on the entire bill. I and my wine drinking friends do. Remember the corkage is a restaurant charge and the tip is given to the server for service provided.

We never take wine to a restaurant - perhaps a cultural difference of US and UK. Very occasionally, a restaurant may not have a license to serve alcohol, in which case bring your own wine would be the way to go - but in such circumstances there wouldn't normally be a corkage fee.

I guess we are looking at this from different perspectives of the place and purpose of tipping - another cultural difference! Happy cruising.

We May be taking our own wine and interested if a gratuity is automatically added after corking fee charged?

Appreciate any information. Thank you.

No gratuity was ever added for me. Sometimes the waiter would not charge the corkage fee so we tipped him the $15.

The overworked waiters in the MDR on Princess now often do not have the time to keep pouring your wine after the first pour so not so much service provided as there used to be.

Many seem to have got out of the habit of doing it even when they don't have anything else to do like when the second seating is half empty which happened to us several times recently on Pacific P.