Gratuities in US $ on ships

dbeckett

In the UK the US (or Canadian) pricing can't be seen but I still have one of my Canadian credit cards which is registered for the cruise. I am now trying to decide if I wait till I board to pay the gratuities using the Canadian credit card or pay before sailing in British pounds.

If someone can let me know the prices (if it helps we are in a suite) it would be much appreciated. It is the Scottish blood in me trying to get the best deal.

Thanks

Pre pay everything you can to save the exchange. All payments done before the cruise are at a rate that was fixed when cruise was booked.

Any payments on board are in US$ . Your bank will convert to the currency of your credit card.

Just did a conversion and would currently, as suspected, save if paying on board with my Canadian credit card.

If I pay gratuities right now the rate $1.25 to the USD. Market rate is between 1.3 and 1.35 .

Check your booking to see the rate you have.

It is my opinion that the auto tips for a suite are too high. I go to guest services and adjust them. They do not ask any questions as to why and are happy to adjust them to any amount you see fit. The amount is a suggestion not a requirement.

It is my opinion that the auto tips for a suite are too high. I go to guest services and adjust them. They do not ask any questions as to why and are happy to adjust them to any amount you see fit. The amount is a suggestion not a requirement.

I think the rationale for asking suite passengers to pay higher gratuities is because the cabin stewards who service non suite rooms are given more rooms to service so can earn more gratuities, than the stewards who service some suites who are not allocated so many rooms due to anticipated longer cleaning times

Many people might say that anyone who chooses to pay for the luxury of a suite can afford a bit extra without feeling any pain.

I never had a suite on Princess and therefore have no opinion one way or the other. No idea what you get for the extra.

Do you have any OBC? If so you can use that towards your gratuities. Otherwise it’s probably cheaper to pay beforehand in £ which you can do through the cruise personaliser.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The £ is slowly improving against the $ so best to wait until your cruise

Many people might say that anyone who chooses to pay for the luxury of a suite can afford a bit extra without feeling any pain.

I never had a suite on Princess and therefore have no opinion one way or the other. No idea what you get for the extra.

What one can afford is not relevant to what something is worth. I do not care to overpay for goods or services despite what I can afford. I sailed in a window suite last cruise which took no more time to service then an ordinary balcony since these suites have no balcony. The other reason I don't care to get scalped is knowing the crew doesn't get all the tip money, it goes into incentive programs and parties and some goes to administration fees.

I'm reading a thread about how people are saving a buck or two by pouring their own glass of wine in their cabin and bringing that to the dining room to save corkage fees. Certainly someone who can afford a bottle of wine can afford a corkage. It demonstrates how most people choose to spend their money without wasting it..

Edited by cruzsnooze

Pre pay everything you can to save the exchange. All payments done before the cruise are at a rate that was fixed when cruise was booked.

Any payments on board are in US$ . Your bank will convert to the currency of your credit card.

This is not necessarily good advice. Given the exchange rate when I booked our gratuities are £20 per person more to pre-book than if I pay in USD at the current rate.

The soda package is also 50p per person per day more to pre-book - not a lot, but still more.

Obviously, if you booked at a time of an advantageous rate then defintiely pre-pay, otherwise wait and pay onboard (Preferably with a fee free card such as Halifax Clarity)

The other reason I don't care to get scalped is knowing the crew doesn't get all the tip money, it goes into incentive programs and parties and some goes to administration fees.

What is the source for what you know about this? Is this something that crew members told you directly?

What is the source for what you know about this? Is this something that crew members told you directly?

Unfortunatly there is no one source except what people have told me. I have a friend at corp who told me how tips are pooled across the fleet and administered to crew based on several criteria such as longevity and class of ship. The rumors are abundant and until Princess chooses to give a wriiten explanation I will believe my source and do what I believe is fair.