Which tour?

mtebor

we have choice on tours for our upcoming emerald trip.

The included tour in Moselle is Ehrenbreitstein Fortress

The option tour of $85 is . Take a walking tour of the town including a guided visit of the magnificent Cochem Castle, boasting impressive views of the Moselle Valley

The option tour of $85 is . Take a walking tour of the town including a guided visit of the magnificent Cochem Castle, boasting impressive views of the Moselle Valley

I have to assume that an extra cost excursion is more than just a walking tour, even if a guided tour of the castle is included. That seems exhorbitant. I wish companies would give more information on optional tours; if they expect you to pay for them, tell you what you are really getting.

The only guess I have to make sense of this is that you are docking in Koblenz (where the Moselle flows into the Rhine at German Corner). Moselle is s river not a town.

There is a chairlift in Koblenz across the Rhine to Ehrenbreitstein. From Koblenz it is a 40 minute drive to Cochem and perhaps they are charging you for the bus. That’s just my guess because that description you presented makes very little sense.

I just went to Emerald’s website to see if I could make more sense of this, but threw up my hands in disgust when their photo on their Nuremberg- Trier / Main- Rhine- Moselle Cruise is of Regensberg which is not any of those rivers (it’s on the Danube). I make it a rule not to give my travel money to companies who appear to know a lot less about where they are going than I do.

The only guess I have to make sense of this is that you are docking in Koblenz (where the Moselle flows into the Rhine at German Corner). Moselle is s river not a town.

There is a chairlift in Koblenz across the Rhine to Ehrenbreitstein. From Koblenz it is a 40 minute drive to Cochem and perhaps they are charging you for the bus. That’s just my guess because that description you presented makes very little sense.

I just went to Emerald’s website to see if I could make more sense of this, but threw up my hands in disgust when their photo on their Nuremberg- Trier / Main- Rhine- Moselle Cruise is of Regensberg which is not any of those rivers (it’s on the Danube). I make it a rule not to give my travel money to companies who appear to know a lot less about where they are going than I do.

I did the same thing you did, and tried the website, in my case emeraldwaterways.ca. I assume that the OP is talking about the Legends of the Moselle, Rhine, and Main trip, but it seems like he is confusing 2 days. Ehrenbreitstein fortress is day 5, from Koblenz, and day 6 from Cochem, says a guided walk and the opportunity to visit Reichburg Castle. I assume that opportunity means optional, but it still doesn't make much sense. However, on looking over the entire itinerary, the only option that states additional cost is day 7, a guided tour of Trier (from Bernkastel).

sorry for the confusion.

Here is the entire message I received

Discover More: Moselle & Cochem Visit passengers on this tour will not be able to visit the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for both tours happen at the same time. The cost of the tour is $85 per person and it can either be purchased on board or you can call our call center and have it added prior to departure. The description is: Perched on a spectacular hill 300 foot above the Moselle Valley, where the river curves between two hiking paradises, Eifel and Hunsrück, lays the old town of Cochem. Take a walking tour of the town including a guided visit of the magnificent Cochem Castle, boasting impressive views of the Moselle Valley. A long history precedes what we see of the Castle today. The original 12th-century Romanesque style and condition was replaced by King Louis XIV, who ordered his troops to destroy it in 1689. Rebuilt in 1868, he chose the neo-Gothic architecture that we know today, as is family’s summer residence. This is a 6 hour tour.

sorry for the confusion.

Here is the entire message I received

Discover More: Moselle & Cochem Visit passengers on this tour will not be able to visit the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress for both tours happen at the same time. The cost of the tour is $85 per person and it can either be purchased on board or you can call our call center and have it added prior to departure. The description is: Perched on a spectacular hill 300 foot above the Moselle Valley, where the river curves between two hiking paradises, Eifel and Hunsrück, lays the old town of Cochem. Take a walking tour of the town including a guided visit of the magnificent Cochem Castle, boasting impressive views of the Moselle Valley. A long history precedes what we see of the Castle today. The original 12th-century Romanesque style and condition was replaced by King Louis XIV, who ordered his troops to destroy it in 1689. Rebuilt in 1868, he chose the neo-Gothic architecture that we know today, as is family’s summer residence. This is a 6 hour tour.

I think that I get it. You are not on the Moselle, Rhine and Main cruise, you are on a Rhine cruise. The excursion runs from Koblenz, and takes you up the Moselle for the extra long morning. It is your only chance to see the scenery of the Moselle, but not from the water. Presumably, you are bused to Cochem, do a walking tour there and see the Castle and the views, before returning to the ship for the afternoon trip through the Rhine Gorge. (At least if you are doing Amsterdam to Basel and not vice versa.) Now you have to decide if it is worth $85. I don't think you need to decide in advance; I'm sure that you can wait and talk to the cruise director for more information and assistance in making your decision.

I think that I get it. You are not on the Moselle, Rhine and Main cruise, you are on a Rhine cruise. The excursion runs from Koblenz, and takes you up the Moselle for the extra long morning. It is your only chance to see the scenery of the Moselle, but not from the water. Presumably, you are bused to Cochem, do a walking tour there and see the Castle and the views, before returning to the ship for the afternoon trip through the Rhine Gorge. (At least if you are doing Amsterdam to Basel and not vice versa.) Now you have to decide if it is worth $85. I don't think you need to decide in advance; I'm sure that you can wait and talk to the cruise director for more information and assistance in making your decision.

The tour to Cochem is certainly the better one in my opinion but whether it is worth $85 is for you to decide. Unfortunately you will have to decide before the cruise. That at least is my experience with optional excursions on my upcoming Emerald cruise on the Douro.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am glad to read the confusion has been sorted out. :) Here is my two-cents-worth: while Ehrenbreitstein fortress is spectacular, it is "only" a fortress with great views over a townscape, not a castle or palace with great interiors. You could go into the museum or have a cup of coffee in the café and walk around the park but to better experience the area - as a sort of comparison with the Rhine valley perhaps - I would go to Cochem. $85 dollars sounds a lot but you get a bus ride through the valley of (there and back) around two hours, have a guided tour and get to see the castle. If I have understood the description correctly. (Hired) coaches in Germany are normally modern and comfortable.

Ehrenbreitstein fortress: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenbreitstein_Fortress

Cochem Reichsburg castle: http://www.burg-cochem.de/fuehrungen.html?&L=1 As you can see admission fee/guided tour is 6 euros per person.

Perhaps put into google Moselle valley Cochem and click on photos... It really does look like that :). If it is your only chance to see the Moselle landscape I would go.

notamermaid