Hotel near Cape Liberty Port

I live about 20 minutes from Bayonne, and Elizabeth is nice and convenient, and right at EWR. There are many options on Rts 1&9, all are still about a 15-20 ride to the ship. If you wanted to treat yourself to some great nightlife and terrific restaurants the night before (time permitting), you may want to try to look into the Jersey City waterfront, or even up in Weehawken or Hoboken. All are a little closer to the port and just gives you a little taste of NYC with great views across the Hudson and a TON more options to eat!

A lot of people just stay at an airport hotel (Newark in particular) and get a taxi or car service to the port. We take Amtrak from DC to Newark and stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and then get a car service from the hotel. We've done it like 6 times over the last 9 years or so and will be going on Anthem in Oct and doing it again.

A lot of people just stay at an airport hotel (Newark in particular) and get a taxi or car service to the port. We take Amtrak from DC to Newark and stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and then get a car service from the hotel. We've done it like 6 times over the last 9 years or so and will be going on Anthem in Oct and doing it again.

Which car service do you use?

Looking for suggestions for a hotel near the port, we are flying in a day early before our cruise on the Adventure in June. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What exact date are you flying in? What time does your flight arrive? Two people? What is your hotel budget?

Round trip port transportation for 2 will run you about $70-$130 depending on whether you use Uber, taxi, car service, or hotel shuttle (very limited hotel choice). Many EWR hotels have limited food service. "Free Breakfast" usually means no hotel restaurant for dinner, which means your dinner choices are take out delivery or walking to a neighboring hotel which has a restaurant. Only the hotels on International Blvd in Elizabeth have access to other dining options like Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Johnny Rockets, IHOP, and a Mall food court.

As pointed out by others spending the transportation money and hotel money to stay in a Jersey City hotel offers an entirely different set of precruise options. Staying in downtown Newark for easier access to NYC is also an option.

As pointed out by others spending the transportation money and hotel money to stay in a Jersey City hotel offers an entirely different set of precruise options. Staying in downtown Newark for easier access to NYC is also an option.

Staying in downtown Newark is tough, there's not many reputable hotels, and there are some "bad" areas. However, there are TREMENDOUS restaurants in Newark, if you like Spanish/Galcian style food.

IMO, I'd take an Uber or even Light Rail (NJ Transit) to downtown Jersey City (Journal Square) or to Hoboken and enjoy the area! Plenty of things to see and do, tremendous restaurants and bars...

We live close enough to drive so we haven't done a hotel in the area.

I am assuming you are flying into Newark airport, you didn't say. ( If not Newark I hope it is Kennedy)

However, it depends on whether you just want a place to sleep (i.e., you are flying in to Newark late the night before) or you want to do some sightseeing (e.g., New York City, Statute of Liberty) the day before.

If it is late and you just want a place to sleep then a hotel near the airport, there may be airplane noise.

There is even a hotel (Marriot) at Newark airport.

If you are getting in early the day before you could stay in Manhattan and get in a day of sightseeing.

June is a very nice time in New York.

Also, lots of options to get to Manhattan without renting a car. To get to the port the next day you would probably need limo service.

We flew into Newark and stayed at the Doubletree in Jersey City. Took Uber/Lyft to the hotel from the airport and also to the port. Wasn't a long drive in either case. The hotel was convenient to a lot of things. We were able to walk to the PATH and took it to NYC. There's also a mall right within a few blocks of the hotel that had a lot of places to eat and a CVS. In the other direction a few blocks was a grocery store and a BJs Wholesale Club. The hotel was nice and recently renovated.

Staying in downtown Newark is tough, there's not many reputable hotels, and there are some "bad" areas. However, there are TREMENDOUS restaurants in Newark, if you like Spanish/Galcian style food.

IMO, I'd take an Uber or even Light Rail (NJ Transit) to downtown Jersey City (Journal Square) or to Hoboken and enjoy the area! Plenty of things to see and do, tremendous restaurants and bars...

Folks have had good experiences at the Newark Penn Station Hilton as well as the Robert Treat. The Hilton has an airport shuttle and is attached to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk. The Robert Treat offers both an airport and Newark Penn Station shuttle.

PATH would be the transportation between downtown Newark and Jersey City or Hoboken.

We flew into Newark and stayed at the Doubletree in Jersey City. Took Uber/Lyft to the hotel from the airport and also to the port. Wasn't a long drive in either case. The hotel was convenient to a lot of things. We were able to walk to the PATH and took it to NYC. There's also a mall right within a few blocks of the hotel that had a lot of places to eat and a CVS. In the other direction a few blocks was a grocery store and a BJs Wholesale Club. The hotel was nice and recently renovated.

The Doubletree is often the most reasonably priced hotel in the Newport area of Jersey City. Other options are the Courtyard, Westin, Candlewood Suites, and Hyatt. There is also now a Residence Inn at the Grove St PATH station.

Which car service do you use?

We usually let the hotel call one to go to the port mainly because they're local to Newark and take a more direct route over surface streets to the port. Otherwise, we use Dial 7 when we get off the ship usually to head into Manhattan for a few days.

We also walk from the hotel to dinner. We usually go to Don Pepe since it's such a short walk. But we've also walked to another one on Ferry street. Fornos of Spain. Both very good and lots of food.

Edited by BND

We usually let the hotel call one to go to the port mainly because they're local to Newark and take a more direct route over surface streets to the port. Otherwise, we use Dial 7 when we get off the ship.

We also walk from the hotel to dinner. We usually go to Don Pepe since it's such a short walk. But we've also walked to another one on Ferry street. Fornos of Spain. Both very good and lots of food.

Thanks, I normally stay in Elizabeth, but like the idea of walking to a local restaurant, as opposed to chains.

We usually let the hotel call one to go to the port mainly because they're local to Newark and take a more direct route over surface streets to the port. Otherwise, we use Dial 7 when we get off the ship usually to head into Manhattan for a few days.

Don Pepe is a little too commercialized IMO, being on McCarter Highway. I'd take an Uber and go down to Fernandez Steakhouse, hands down the best rodizio around! Or another hidden gem my family has been going to for decades is called Casa Vasca. I recently found a new BYOB right off Ferry called Sabor Unido, which is amazing! Either way, best sangria in the world is down neck Newark!

Don Pepe is a little too commercialized IMO, being on McCarter Highway. I'd take an Uber and go down to Fernandez Steakhouse, hands down the best rodizio around! Or another hidden gem my family has been going to for decades is called Casa Vasca. I recently found a new BYOB right off Ferry called Sabor Unido, which is amazing! Either way, best sangria in the world is down neck Newark!

Very familiar with the term (Down Neck) haven't heard that in a while, another name for that area is called the Ironbound. I worked across the street from the Hilton for many. many years. There are quite a few good Spanish, Brazilian and Portuguese restaurants in walking distance to the Hilton. Fornos is my all time favorite, love the Shrimp with Champagne sauce and their potatoes. I also enjoyed Mompou Tapas, on Ferry St, a block down from Fornos, which has an outdoor patio in the back. Casa Vasca is quite good too, been there a few times.

Let's not forget, downtown Newark has one of the largest performing arts center in the US called NJPAC, IMO, just as good as attending a concert at Carnegie Hall in NYC. The Hilton and The Robert Treat Hotel are in walking distance to NJPAC. There's also the Prudential Center, home for live entertainment, some great concerts, e.g. Andrea Bocelli, Paul McCartney, Bruno Mars, Earth Wind and Fire, Marc Anthony,The Boss-- Bruce, just to name a few, in addition to home of the New Jersey Devils Hockey, Seton Hall basketball games and great family shows all in walking distance from the Hilton. Whenever there's a show going on at either NJPAC or Prudential Center, there's always a lot of police presence around.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

Thanks, I normally stay in Elizabeth, but like the idea of walking to a local restaurant, as opposed to chains.

Hi Bob,

If you and Lee decide to stay in downtown Newark, please come to the east Coast Board to get our locals' opinions on walking from a particular hotel to a particular restaurant. I have dined in this area, but we were 5 people and we drove and parked right at the restaurant. Personally I also like the idea of "walking to a local restaurant", but I would never do it at night in downtown Newark. Local cabs are cheap.

Hi Bob,

If you and Lee decide to stay in downtown Newark, please come to the east Coast Board to get our locals' opinions on walking from a particular hotel to a particular restaurant. I have dined in this area, but we were 5 people and we drove and parked right at the restaurant. Personally I also like the idea of "walking to a local restaurant", but I would never do it at night in downtown Newark. Local cabs are cheap.

We usually go to dinner around 5 so there's still lots of people out, but that said, we've never had any issue walking to either restaurant. With the few one way roads, it can be quicker to walk to Don Pepe than drive. Also, the Newark Hilton Penn has a back entrance so it's a very quick walk.

Our last trip we stayed in a different hotel (free with points also) and we never left the hotel except to head to the ship. No way I'd walk around in the area it was in. It was the Courtyard Newark Downtown. We ordered really good pizza from a local place and had it delivered for dinner.

Went to Casa Vasca the night we got engaged, so good.

I recommend you look into the W in Hoboken. Great city, lots of restaurants. Easy access to NYC by train, ferry or bus (except during rush hours). I live in NJ and go to Newark but not sure I feel comfortable recommending it as a place to stay for out-of-towners. Go for a meal? sure.

Also, though not ready for the original poster in June, I read last week for the first time that Bayonne is looking to add a ferry to NYC from the same place RCCL docks. Now that strip is two miles long, so it may not be walking distance with your bags from the ferry to the ship. But when that happens, supposedly before the end of 2018, that 10 minute ferry trip will better open up NYC hotel options both pre and post cruise.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2018/03/bayonne_may_soon_have_commuter_ferry_to_manhattan.html

We stayed at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken. Got it for 94/nt plus taxes through Priceline Express. It was easy to narrow down which hotel we were getting. The regular rate was about 230. Great location with a ferry to NYC outside it's door. We used Uber to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Bob,

I went to school (Rutgers) in Newark for several years. I have also gone to things in the Prudential Center. While I thought it acceptably safe to walk around some parts during the day I would not walk around after dark. While I understand staying at the Hilton if you arrive by Amtrak I can't see staying there if arriving by any other method.

That said there are good Portuguese restaurants in the area I would suggest driving to and from the restaurants.

Forgot to mention if you come in by Amtrak a little early and need something to do and don't feel like taking mass transit into Manhattan there used to be a nice little museum in downtown Newark. Haven't been there in a few years so don't know if it is still nice.

Wow, so many options!! We are flying into Newark, our flight arrives a little after noon. We would like to be able to walk to a few places as we are not too familiar with the trains and subways. After all we are from Texas and the only way to get from place to place here is by car! Thanks to everyone for all the great info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums