Packing-when do you start for your Carnival Cruise?

marshhawk

So yesterday I had a day off, I decided to start looking for my cruise clothes, book club book to read, and tea for the cruise- I decided to wash the clothes, Then I got to thinking, I'm not going to be wearing them until I cruise in 30 plus days, why not pack them. Is this a stupid idea?

I usually wait until a few days away, less time to wrinkle [emoji846] Although I do plan out and list what I want to take earlier, you know in case I need to do some shopping before I go [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We leave next week for our cruise, but with the holidays this weekend, there won't be much packing time. I started "Pre-packing" last weekend, I set one of the guest rooms up as a staging area, and laid out most of the things I think I need. A lot of it can be packed so soon because I live up north and we aren't wearing shorts yet =P

This week after work, I will be going through everything again to make sure I am not over packing and then putting it in the suit case. Some things didn't make it to the pre-packing phase because I needed to wear them this week, but after I wash them, they will go right in.

I also make a list about a month out of what I think I will need, try on things that might not fit, etc, so I can get what I need more than a frantic day before we sail. I am a bit of an over planner with that, but it makes me less stressed! I think if it makes you less anxious about packing, or gets you excited for your trip, you should start thinking about packing whenever it's best for you!

Not stupid at all. I start packing 6 weeks out. I will get my shoulders bags packed all my electronics, toiletries, etc. all in those.

Then about 4-5 weeks out I pack clothes etc. We leave in 3 weeks and I have been fully packed for at least 2.

I fold and smooth very careful when I pack and usually have little issue with wrinkles, plus I pack a 3 oz bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release that I can use if need be (plus I just give things a spritz anyhow before I wear it just because it smells nice and takes care of closet smell from ship)

I find this works well for me, because I will often think about things over that 4-5 weeks and suddenly something will pop in my head -oh! I forgot to pack xxx!, or you know what I really don't need xxxx. lol!

Works like a charm for me for all my tavels and I am happy to say I usually have everything I need and only what I need. One of the reasons I think I can pack for a 7 day cruise in 2 airplane regulation carry on suit cases and 2 shoulder bags for hubby and I including all our snorkel gear.

As soon as we book, usually a year or more out, I start a list of stuff that I don't want to forget. But when it comes to packing, I'm a "last minute" kind of guy. I'll do it the day before we leave, maybe two days. I'll gather up some of the non-clothing items a few days out just to have them ready. That's pretty much how I handle all of our vacations, cruising or not.

We went on our first cruise a couple years ago with a couple members of my wife's family. A June cruise, but we visited them on Easter. They go frequently and she had their spare room filled with their preparations. The bed was covered, dressers, floor space. I was in awe. :o I hadn't even laid out a pair of socks yet.

I have a “cruise packing list” excel spreadsheet saved on my PC that I print off a couple weeks before sail date. I then go purchase anything that I need from the list and start packing all but clothing a week before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We typically fly in several days before we sail and stay several days after we get back so we have slightly more than most people to pack just for that reason. (We try to make it a 21'ish day vacation including the cruise) so...

About a week before we cruise I'll start getting together a few items like sea sickness meds, docs, door banner, stuff like that. Then the night before we leave to fly out we pack the rest of what we need which is basically just clothes. The day we leave we'll pack last minute stuff like deodorant, soap, etc.

We keep our luggage in a spare room. My cruise is in 100 days, but I already have placed my cruising clothes, flip flops, water shoes, bathing suit, and hawaiian shirt in the main suitcase. I will add a few things as I think of them. Before the cruise, we will iron and wash again, but at least I have everything where they need to be.

I learned the hard way NOT to wait til the last minute...lol..last cruise I wound up in the hospital having gall bladder surgery 3 days before we were leaving for our cruise...eek..I had planned to work half day that Thursday and had the time to do everything before we left for Charleston on Sunday....lesson learned...we sail May 5...suitcase out already...been putting little things up since Christmas!! Oh and on previous cruise..I went..saved vacation time from work cause I was on sick leave...figured I could recuperate just as easily on the Lido deck as I could at home..lol:halo::')

So yesterday I had a day off, I decided to start looking for my cruise clothes, book club book to read, and tea for the cruise- I decided to wash the clothes, Then I got to thinking, I'm not going to be wearing them until I cruise in 30 plus days, why not pack them. Is this a stupid idea?

I start packing about one month prior to cruise, with basics and personal products. I have my suitcase laid out in the spare bedroom and throw things in as I think of them. But I make up packing lists several months prior. I hang all my dresses in that room and roll and pack them a day before flying out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not at all!!! I start a packing list about 3 months before. I have it saved on my PC at work, then as I think of things I add them. This has always worked really well. We cruise in 43 days but leave for Miami in 40!! I will begin packing this weekend, shoes, swimsuits, cover-ups. Dresses are hung in the Guest room, where I will lay out suitcases. Small carry on's for Miami and the Big ones for the Cruise:cool:.

Well I wouldn't do it, but I'll keep my opinion to myself.

I never pack earlier that the night before I leave. One time I did it at 4 a.m. prior to a 7 a.m. flight (drinking was involved). Never forgot anything of any consequence, but it helps doing carry-on (i.e. when it's full, you're done).

I started gathering items 3 months ago for our cruise in 2 weeks. Sent a bag of things home with my mom so I would not have to check a bag. Last couple weekends I pulled out the clothes I wanted. Did a mock packing last weekend to see if would fit. This weekend is about limiting things and getting toiletries together. The final weekend is washing and ironing. It is a lot of work in which I will probably only use half of it. Now, I am thinking I will have to check a bag.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ummm...I’ve been packing/getting organized since November and my cruise isn’t until July. :o So pack away, it’s half the fun!

I made a list of things I needed to buy about two months before which was when I booked the cruise. I’ve been slowly buying and putting away in our extra closet. We are traveling with a toddler so I have to make sure I don’t forget some of these things. Pre toddler we would have been packing the morning of

I usually start doing laundry and getting the things I want to pack all together in my closet about 2 days before we leave. The day before we leave I always take off of work so I can run errands (last minute shopping, tanning, pedicure/manicure, etc.). Then I get home and start packing late afternoon. But now with a toddler at home, most packing doesn't get accomplished until after she goes to bed. So it's usually a pretty late night! And of course, an early morning the next day to catch our flight. I like getting to the port city as early as possible so we have another nice long day of vacation to enjoy!