We've only ever cruised with NCL but...

canadalou

after seeing some great deals online, we are wondering if we should try a different cruise line. Who do you love to cruise with & why?

The thing we love most about Norwegian is the freestyle dining. What do other ships offer?

They all offer my time dining. If you like NCL’s new mega ships, you will love RCI’s mega ships. They really blow everything else away as far as the ship itself. If you plan on getting a drink package on another line, you will definitely pay a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

after seeing some great deals online, we are wondering if we should try a different cruise line. Who do you love to cruise with & why?

The thing we love most about Norwegian is the freestyle dining. What do other ships offer?

Try one of the Oasis class ships from Royal Caribbean. They offer a MDR program (MyTime Dining) that is the same as freestyle dining. Like the -away class ships on NCL, you need to book shows and specialty dining.

If you want a peek at a RCL oasis ship, check out our cruise last week https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613542

If you are willing to pay a bit more...Oceania. Beautiful, small to mid size ships that sail more unique itineraries. Entire ship is a Haven type experience. Very hands off and non “ cruisy” in experience...it is more like a floating 5* hotel. No art sales, photographers or constant upsells. Great food and the entire ship is freestyle like NCL. But a word of warning, the line is not known for entertainment and not a good choice for families with young children.

What else do you love besides the freestyle dining? Most ship lines have something similar now ... but what's important is what you love most about cruising.

Do you sail the older, smaller ships or the large ones? Are the activities more important to you or the shows or the food.

It really is all subjective based on what you love.

I really enjoy the Voyager class ships from Royal Caribbean. Not huge but have a lot to offer and plenty of activities. Their ice shows are great and I like their adults only pool. Very peaceful. Won’t try anything bigger. I don’t want to have to book entertainment every night.

If you are willing to pay a bit more...Oceania. Beautiful, small to mid size ships that sail more unique itineraries. Entire ship is a Haven type experience. Very hands off and non “ cruisy” in experience...it is more like a floating 5* hotel. No art sales, photographers or constant upsells. Great food and the entire ship is freestyle like NCL. But a word of warning, the line is not known for entertainment and not a good choice for families with young children.

That actually sounds like a dream, a cruise without kids would be something we definitely would enjoy! We are more into food & drink than shows & activities & love sightseeing but hate excursions.

Thanks for your input👍🏼

What else do you love besides the freestyle dining? Most ship lines have something similar now ... but what's important is what you love most about cruising.

Do you sail the older, smaller ships or the large ones? Are the activities more important to you or the shows or the food.

It really is all subjective based on what you love.

We prefer smaller ships, are a middle aged couple without kids & love to cruise for the relaxation. We don’t do ‘get togethers’ or group activities & rather use the time away to reconnect & recharge away from our busy day to day lives.

That actually sounds like a dream, a cruise without kids would be something we definitely would enjoy! We are more into food & drink than shows & activities & love sightseeing but hate excursions.

Thanks for your input👍🏼

We usually book a low cabin with O and hope for upgrade offers. But, we know they won’t necessarily come. Note, Cruise prices include port fees and taxes, all non alcoholic drinks, specialty coffees, water, and specialty dining. Minibar is stocked to your request. You can bring wine and alcohol on board for in cabin enjoyment. Drink packages are lower cost then NCL, with higher end offers. Higher DSC’s, however.

If you want to read a nice review of a dream cruise, there is a nice one ongoing on the O board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2616029

Try one of the Oasis class ships from Royal Caribbean. They offer a MDR program (MyTime Dining) that is the same as freestyle dining. Like the -away class ships on NCL, you need to book shows and specialty dining.

If you want a peek at a RCL oasis ship, check out our cruise last week https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613542

To me the Oasis class is the least crowded of any ship I have sailed on, just because of the great layout. Breakaway Plus class is probably the most crowded, just because of the not so great layout. However, I love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! We have not sailed on a mega ship, I feel like they would be too busy for us. We have been on the Sun, Pearl, Dawn & Jade, a number of times. I will check out the RCI website, thanks again.

Another vote for Royal Caribbean. I do enjoy the mega ships like the others have posted, but if you are into the NCL Sun/Pearl/Dawn/Jade, then I would go with Royal Caribbean's Radiance class ships which are around the same size as the ships you listed. The Radiance class includes: Radiance of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas and Serenade of the Seas. These are actually my favorite size ships as well with lots of windows and connection the sea. Good luck with your search!

We have sailed NCL, Celebrity, HAL, Regent and P/O Australia.

We base our decisions on itinerary and price firstly but then take into account what mood we are in. We always have a drinks package whether as part of a booking or buy it separately.

If we want plenty of activities and action we head towards NCL, we love that there is plenty to do. While we think there is a variety of dining options on NCL we think they have the lowest quality food.

If we are after a quieter time we go with HAL (although our cruise on the Koningsdam had plenty of nightlife). Food quality is great, drink variety is much better, love the crows nest bars and promenade decks. If dining is important check out the Koningsdam as it has MDR, Buffet, Pizza (awesome) bar, burger joint, Dutch cafe (amazing and awesome beer selection) and then 4 other speciality restaurants. Note some sailings on HAL can be a very old crowd. Lack of activities.

Celebrity is between NCL and HAL, it is more sophisticated than NCL, better food, much better drinks package, great nightlife. Can feel a bit like a class system if that worries you. Not as many dining options and speciality restaurants expensive

my first three cruises were Carnival, then NCL Escape, MSC, NCL Sky, and Epic is end of this year.

I have really enjoyed each cruise line and each ship.

my rankings:

food: Ncl, MSC, CCL

entertainment: MSC, ncl, CCL

port variety: CCL, ncl, MSC

staff: all get A+ from me

tv channels: all get F, too much news/politics channels!

I love guy fieri burger bar on carnival and their Dive In movies every night.

ncl free at sea program has led me to book 3 of last 4 cruises with them. best bang for the cruise buck recently.

MSC seemed to really want our business and want to wow us. two thumbs way up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Won’t try anything bigger. I don’t want to have to book entertainment every night.

You don't "have" to book entertainment on Oasis-class or Breakaway-Plus. You can stand in line just like you are used to doing if you prefer lines. Some people like to spill hot coffee on themselves, some like lines. I don't get it, but you do you!

It appears you only sail Northern/Alaska itineraries. If you are sailing the smaller ships, I think you could probably flip a coin and pick one. The mid-size ships from each line are much more similar than they are different. Similar dining, similar service, similar everything. Once you get into the large and mega-ships, the differences are much more pronounced.

I really enjoy the Voyager class ships from Royal Caribbean. Not huge but have a lot to offer and plenty of activities. Their ice shows are great and I like their adults only pool. Very peaceful. Won’t try anything bigger. I don’t want to have to book entertainment every night.

When the Explorer of the Seas was ported in in New Jersey, we had an OV which was larger than those on NCL's jewel class ships. For My Time Dining, we were able to have the same MDR table, every night, with the same servers.

Entertainment was similar to NCL's, and I enjoyed watching films in the ship's dedicated screening room. However RCCL lacked some items which we love about NCL. The MDR was not open on embarkation day, and we had to fend for ourselves in the buffet.-----wait for a table while still burdened with our carry-ons.

When returning to an NCL ship on a hot day from an excursion , NCL always has cold face cloths and cups of ice water at the door. RCCI does not. Little things mean a lot.

We like NCL very much, but are open to trying others if the price and itinerary interest us.

Thanks for your input👍🏼

you will Oceania then we sailed the Rivera it was a fantastic experience and one we have never found anywhere else