Questions about Canaletto for two people

Thank you Sail. Seating those two couples before me was very hurtful. I tried to stick around to say so to the Maitre D' but he was nowhere to be found. Just a humiliating experience all in all. :(

IMO, that makes it even worse. For him to have not come to your tab e after you were finally seated shows no 'class or finese, He had to know he treated you badly and should have apologized and made a jerk of himself tryin g to explain his way out of it. For him to make himself 'scarce' says nothing good ab out him Why did he keep sending glasses of wine if he did not know how wrong he was?

When I read the start of this thread, I was wondering how it would go for me as a solo if I chose to book Canaletto. You answered for me. Thank you.

On the one hand, I'm not willing to expose myself to such treat ment on a HAL ship. On the other hand why permit an ignorant, poorly trained crew person to

deny me the opprotunity to dine where I wish.

Edited by sail7seas

I dined solo at Canaletto twice on the Osterdam in February 2018 and had wonderful service and food. The Maître d' and waitresses were great!! I had heard several years ago that the food was just OK (and had avoided going there) but decided to try it myself. I was so pleased with the gnocchi and beef short ribs that I added the second dinner. But it's true to beware that servings are large so it would be easy to over order if eating alone. Asking for mini portions will be my approach next time! Please don't let the bad experience of one diner stop you from trying this venue.

Reporting back on my solo experience last week. I requested, and got, small servings for each of my courses. However.... it was the worst experience I have ever had at a specialty restaurant on HAL. I arrived for my 7:30 reservation and, after waiting 5 minutes for the Maitre D', was told there were no tables available. He sat me out in the Lido with a glass of wine to wait. During this time he sat two couples who arrived well after I did. I wish I had cancelled and gone to the Pinnacle. Instead I sat there like a dummy believing they'd make it right. A full 30 minutes after I arrived I was seated. Another 15 minutes later I received another glass of wine. I am 0 for 2 with regard to service at the Canaletto so I will not be back. I hope you have a better experience!

Your experience warranted a visit to the Front Office with a request to speak to the Guest Relations Manager.

I hope that you sent a snail mail letter to Seattle concerning this very poor service.

I was thinking simialr to 'rka.................

I would have asked o fofr themgto dial front office on the pone at tgghe host podium and asked to speak with GRM. If she was unavailable, I would ve asked for for Hogtle Direcctor. I would have ex;plained, I had a reservation, I arrived on time and then described whhat happend. I woluld have specifically ASKED if p ersons dining solo were not welcome in all restaurants on board and if not, why ???? A ND why did they take my reservation and then huilmiliate me in that way? REALLY good chance that would not happen again to anyone else. .

If hey would not make the call to front office, I would go to the house phone on the back wall, near the rest rooms by the doors that go out to aft pool.

I was thinking simialr to 'rka.................

I would have asked o them to dial front office on the pone at tgghe host podium and asked to speak with GRM. If she was unavailable, I would ve asked for for Hotel Direcctor. I would have ex;plained, I had a reservation, I arrived on time and then described whhat happend. I woluld have specifically ASKED if p ersons dining solo were not welcome in all restaurants on board and if not, why ???? A ND why did they take my reservation and then huilmiliate me in that way? REALLY good chance that would not happen again to anyone else. .

If hey would not make the call to front office, I would go to the house phone on the back wall, near the rest rooms by the doors that go out to aft pool.

I would guess solo pesons dining there in the future would have a lovely experience.

Edited by sail7seas

The Cannelotto menu has changed recently so some of the dishes mentioned on this thread are not available any more.

To answer the original Q - we went with 3 and they were clear we should order what we wanted and they adjusted the portions accordingly.

We thought it was great. The veal and lamb main courses were our favourites. The desserts were the only weak spot so I recommend stopping at the main course!

Booked on Westerdam next month for Alaskan cruise, and have a res. booked for Canaletto one night. I do not see any mention of Tamarind being open on this ship--am I missing something? Sounds like a nice place.

The Tamarind is not a venue on the Westy. You’ll need to plan a cruise on the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Koningsdam or the Nieuw Statendam. :D