cruising with a CPAP machine

Just curious.....husband has been diagnosed with sleep apnea & now has a CPAP machine. Considering the set up of the cabins, one outlet at the desk, it will be necessary to bring an extension cord as well as distilled water. I called R/C & talked to a very nice rep who flagged our reservation & said the ship would provide us with both the extension cord & a gallon of distilled water. Anyone have experience with this? I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that will happen. Almost seemed too good to be true.

I contacted special services on the ship & they are providing us with a liter of distilled water & the needed extension cord. I’ll post a link in my next comment.

I got ahead of myself in the excitement of being able to answer this question. I see you have already contacted RC. Anyway, from my own reading & a friends experience on a RC ship, I have confidence they have resources to provide the extension cord & water.

Edited by Janeille
Spelling- again, ahead of myself with excitement.

Since I starting using a CPAP, I have never had a problem getting the extension cord or the distilled water, even when I forgot to contact special needs ahead of time. I just told the cabin steward that I needed the ext cord and the water, and it was there in the cabin when they turned down the best the first night.

My husband has sailed several times with his c pap, and special needs has always provided us with an extension cord and distilled water. He puts the machine on his nightstand and runs the cord under the bed and plugs it in above the desk/vanity. Be careful not to trip over the cord if you get up during the night. In the morning he unplugs it and rolls it up and puts it under the end of the bed.

Just curious.....husband has been diagnosed with sleep apnea & now has a CPAP machine. Considering the set up of the cabins, one outlet at the desk, it will be necessary to bring an extension cord as well as distilled water. I called R/C & talked to a very nice rep who flagged our reservation & said the ship would provide us with both the extension cord & a gallon of distilled water. Anyone have experience with this? I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that will happen. Almost seemed too good to be true.

The ship has to supply the extension cord as it must meet RCCL's safety regulations. Anything that you bring will mostly likely not meet RCCL's safety regulations not to mention it would most likely be confiscated. Though you spoke to RCCL regarding this matter you need to complete RCCL's Special Needs Form. You need to state that you need an extention cord as well as Distilled water for a CPAP machine. You type this in in area marked "OTHER" at the bottom of the form Here's the link https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

The Special Needs Dept will confirm receipt of your request within 48 hours after receipt. Print out a copy of the confirmation and bring it with your cruise documents. Once on board talk to you cabin attendant to follow up on your request. Generally the items will be placed in your cabin when the cabin makes up your room when you're at dinner.

My experience is that they will provide distilled water and extension cable.

I always take an extension cable just in case. I keep it in the hand luggage so that suitcases are not held by security.

To cover all bases, you should complete a form provided by special needs. That lets them know that you will be taking a CPAP machine on board. Avoids all kinds of problems and it means that you will have an extension cable waiting in the cabin.

In my case, I don't need to use the humidifier so availability of distilled water is not essential.

Depending on the cabin, you might find a power outlet next to the bed.

We have sailed on Allure a few times and there is an outlet on the side of the bed, so no extension cord was needed. I did notify special needs and they advised I would be given an extension cord and distilled water.

As it turns out, I didn't need the extension cord and none was provided. The steward plugged my machine into the side outlet and I did receive the distilled water. I do have to admit it is a bit difficult finding the plug as it is hidden. It is on the side of the bed closest to the sofa.

I realize not all ships have the hidden plug, but I do think Royal Caribbean is really good about providing the cord, if necessary, and the water.

Yes, I always contact Special Needs in advance to request extension cord AND distilled water. On every cruise we've been on, they've been waiting in our room when we first arrive. On our most recent cruise on Freedom (3/17), we received an upgrade to a Grand Suite and the items weren't waiting for me. As soon as I told our stateroom attendant, she ran and got both an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water. NO PROBLEM!

We sailed on Freedom of the Seas on March 11-17. I had forgotten to inform Special Needs ahead of time that my husband uses a CPAP, but it was not an issue. When we first met our cabin attendant, we asked for an extension cord and some distilled water. Our cabin attendant didn’t even blink an eye; it was obviously a common request. Within a couple of hours, he had brought us a gallon of distilled water (no charge) and a long, orange, utility-type extension cord. My husband chose to sleep on the balcony side of the bed. He plugged the extension cord in at the vanity outlet and ran it across under the bed. He kept the CPAP plugged into extension cord, but unplugged the extension cord at the vanity each morning. He kept the cord coiled under that nearest corner of the bed to the vanity, within easy reach for the next night.

Edited by RVSeaLover

Thank you so much for your many replies. Lots of good suggestions. I feel much better now about our next cruise. We have always sent an e-mail to special needs to request a mattress topper. Did not realize there was a form you could use so I will check that out next.

Send an email to the special needs desk special_needs@rccl.com

They will always tell you that an extension cord and gallon of distilled water will be in your stateroom.

We have never had that when when arrived, but our room steward quickly will get the cord and water.

i have been suffering with Sleep Apnea 15 years .Using a CPAP machine did not help me and I got rid of it 4 years ago.However ,I never had a problem with distilled water or outlets on cruises.

KCMSPATSY - you would be surprised at how many passengers bring their CPAP or BiPAP on board. This December will be our fifteen cruise in which I have brought my BiPAP. All of the cruises (and cruise lines) will provide you with both the distilled water and the extension cord. They will be in your cabin when you arrive. Tell your husband to relax and enjoy the cruise. He will have no problem using is CPAP onboard.

i have been suffering with Sleep Apnea 15 years .Using a CPAP machine did not help me and I got rid of it 4 years ago.However ,I never had a problem with distilled water or outlets on cruises.
Lenquixote66 I have had sleep apnea for more than twenty years. About two years ago I wasn't getting any sleep and the effects of the apnea returned. I was ready to quit also, in one last hope my wife convinced me to scheduled another sleep study. The results of the study indicated I need a BiPAP rather than a CPAP. Once I made the switch my sleep patterns improved and have remained steady. Just want to pass on my experience. Happy Sailing!

Lenquixote I have had sleep apnea for more than twenty years. About two years ago I wasn't getting any sleep and the effects of the apnea returned. I was ready to quit also then in one last hope scheduled another sleep study. The results of the study indicated I need a BiPAP rather than a CPAP. Once I made the switch my sleep patterns improved and have remained steady. Just want to pass on my experience. Happy Sailing!

Lenquixote66 I have had sleep apnea for more than twenty years. About two years ago I wasn't getting any sleep and the effects of the apnea returned. I was ready to quit also, in one last hope my wife convinced me to scheduled another sleep study. The results of the study indicated I need a BiPAP rather than a CPAP. Once I made the switch my sleep patterns improved and have remained steady. Just want to pass on my experience. Happy Sailing!

My Pulmonary doctor said I can only use a full face mask .I have 15 in my closet ,none worked.