Does this change fee sound right?

Last week I changed the sailing on a previously booked (balcony cabin) cruise for June 2018 (before final payment) that I booked while on board with a $100.00 OBC in April 2017.

I gave a $100.00 deposit and spent the OBC at the time, so pretty much even if I were to cancel right?

At the same time while on the phone I used the same next cruise number to book a non refundable GS for a different itinerary a few months later on the same ship (still before final payment).

While speaking to the rep there was no mention of change fees, yet a week later I just got a new invoice with the $100pp fees added...

What am I missing here? Is it an error on their part?

If I were told there would be a change fee, I'm thinking I could have cancelled the original sailing and made a new booking for the different itinerary with no loss right?

I understand the deposit would be much more but, I have an old NCC that I could use for reduced deposit.

I can't talk to anyone helpful until tomorrow but, this is really bothering me :rolleyes:

There should not be a change fee as your original booking was made before non-refundable deposits were in force.

However, is it possible that the extra charge is to bring the deposit up to the full amount for a suite?

Sure does but, why would I pay that?

I could have cancelled the original cruise and broke out even, then booked a whole new sailing :rolleyes:using a next cruise cert that I have put away for a reduced deposit.

If your confirmation was/is Nonrefundable and you make change to different sailing, even before final payment you still have to pay $100 per person. If that's what you saying you did...

If your confirmation was/is Nonrefundable and you make change to different sailing, even before final payment you still have to pay $100 per person. If that's what you saying you did...

Not if the original cruise was booked in April of 2017, which was before the NRD began.....

That does sound right with the new refundable/non-refundable option.

When I booked in April 2017 that was not in effect yet but, since I booked the new sailing as a non-refundable it change fees could have automatically kicked in.

The problem with that is it was not on the original invoice when I made the change on March 25th.

And again, if I just cancelled the original and booked a new one there would be NO extra charges right?

I would have forfeited the $100.00 deposit that I had already spent as up front OBC on the sailing when I originally booked.

At any point since making that original booking back in April of 2017, did you call and ask for a price drop? Every time I have called and asked for one, the agent gives me a non-refundable price and I have to insist on the refundable.

Once they even told me the refundable option didn’t exist (which I knew was incorrect), and I had to call back and get someone else on the phone to quote me a refundable price. It’s possible (if you ever did call and get a price drop) that the agent switched you over and gave you a non-refundable rate.

If not, call them tomorrow and make them change it. Give them your invoice #’s, offer to email them if they can’t see them on their end, and if that doesn’t work, ask to be transferred to the resolutions department.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last week I changed the sailing on a previously booked (balcony cabin) cruise for June 2018 (before final payment) that I booked while on board with a $100.00 OBC in April 2017.

I gave a $100.00 deposit and spent the OBC at the time, so pretty much even if I were to cancel right?

At the same time while on the phone I used the same next cruise number to book a non refundable GS for a different itinerary a few months later on the same ship (still before final payment).

While speaking to the rep there was no mention of change fees, yet a week later I just got a new invoice with the $100pp fees added...

What am I missing here? Is it an error on their part?

If I were told there would be a change fee, I'm thinking I could have cancelled the original sailing and made a new booking for the different itinerary with no loss right?

I understand the deposit would be much more but, I have an old NCC that I could use for reduced deposit.

I can't talk to anyone helpful until tomorrow but, this is really bothering me :rolleyes:

You are going to be in for a fight. They have tried to put that change fee on our cruise for 4 times over the last 2 months. Our TA keeps getting it removed and it keeps getting put back on.

We only booked on board in June 2017 and we changed after the rules did. It seems that the “system” doesn’t understand the rules before the change.

Good luck and please keep an eye on your account

Thank you for the quick reply Bob!

The change fee total ($300) was added to the price of the cruise. When I booked the total was 4757. minus the $100 deposit (4657 balance due)

Now the Total is $5057. minus the $100 deposit (4957. balance due)

Somehow it seems they think your original booking was changed to non-refundable. I would call them and ask them to explain how that happenned.

Last week I changed the sailing on a previously booked (balcony cabin) cruise... I used the same next cruise number to book a non refundable GS for a different itinerary a few months later on the same ship (still before final payment).

Looks like $100 per person change...

Frankly, for the tiny difference you are paying to move from a balcony all the way up to a GS, I wouldn't worry about the $100 change fee, even if charged incorrectly.

Somehow it seems they think your original booking was changed to non-refundable. I would call them and ask them to explain how that happenned.

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully OP can figure it out. One of my cruises had 11 versions, I always save copies of every change/reduction...

At any point since making that original booking back in April of 2017, did you call and ask for a price drop? Every time I have called and asked for one, the agent gives me a non-refundable price and I have to insist on the refundable.

Once they even told me the refundable option didn’t exist (which I knew was incorrect), and I had to call back and get someone else on the phone to quote me a refundable price. It’s possible (if you ever did call and get a price drop) that the agent switched you over and gave you a non-refundable rate.

If not, call them tomorrow and make them change it. Give them your invoice #’s, offer to email them if they can’t see them on their end, and if that doesn’t work, ask to be transferred to the resolutions department.

I did not make any changes since originally booked. I was assigned a vacation planner and did send him an email last night to call me ASAP. He responded right away and said he will call this morning when he gets in the office.

Thank you for the information about the resolutions department :)

The first invoice shows a $200 deposit but you paid $100?? The $300 change fee does not look right but there would be a charge of $100 since you got $100 OBC that you spent on the original cruise.

I don't see where it states I paid a $200 deposit, I paid $100 and got a $100 OBC which I spent on that sailing.

So if I were to have just cancelled that cruise I would have been even as if I spent my own $100 that I gave them for deposit right?

Good morning Bob,

Would you call the Vacation planner that reached out to me after I changed the booking or go right to the C&A number? I am D+ if that makes a difference :D

Good morning Bob,

Would you call the Vacation planner that reached out to me after I changed the booking or go right to the C&A number? I am D+ if that makes a difference :D

I would start with C&A. To get the D+ desk, press 9 when you hear the recording.

I don't see where it states I paid a $200 deposit, I paid $100 and got a $100 OBC which I spent on that sailing.

So if I were to have just cancelled that cruise I would have been even as if I spent my own $100 that I gave them for deposit right?

Yes, I booked a cruise onboard like this and I essentially had a reservation for “free.” I moved the cruise date 3 times with no problem and they never asked me for additional money. If I had decided to just cancel altogether, it would have been a wash.

In my Cruise Planner there would sometimes be a section that would say “deposit due $500” by some random date, but when I asked about it they just said to ignore it and that it was just the computer system recognizing that a full deposit was never made, however, they never added $500 (the required deposit amount) to my bill in addition to what was already owed.

The only time I paid any money towards the reservation was when I paid the final payment. My “free” deposit had also been made a couple years before they made the change to offering refundable/non-refundable options. The cruise I finally settled on was also reserved before the non-refundable options became a thing. I did get price drops throughout the year, but I never had the problem you’re having.

I would start with C&A. To get the D+ desk, press 9 when you hear the recording.

Thank you!

It was resolved by the C&A desk :D

She stated that I should have been told about the fee when I changed the booking and not after the fact, so her supervisor will waive the fees this time .

She stated the reason for the fee is because GS has a non refundable deposit (even though I originally booked a balcony) and I will get charged a change fee from here on in if I change a sailing but not a cabin or category within the same sailing. (which we all knew)

I'm still trying to figure out why, if I had to change the sailing again I would pay a change fee if I could just cancel and come out even on the deposit & OBC already spent and start a new reservation. Now if I had put a full deposit I could see the problem.

:confused:

I guess I won't be needing the vacation planner as he has not called me yet as promised in the email last night. I didn't realize that I could utilize the C&A desk for all my inquiries.

Have a great day!

Thank you!

It was resolved by the C&A desk :D

She stated that I should have been told about the fee when I changed the booking and not after the fact, so her supervisor will waive the fees this time .

She stated the reason for the fee is because GS has a non refundable deposit (even though I originally booked a balcony) and I will get charged a change fee from here on in if I change a sailing but not a cabin or category within the same sailing. (which we all knew)

I'm still trying to figure out why, if I had to change the sailing again I would pay a change fee if I could just cancel and come out even on the deposit & OBC already spent and start a new reservation. Now if I had put a full deposit I could see the problem.

:confused:

I guess I won't be needing the vacation planner as he has not called me yet as promised in the email last night. I didn't realize that I could utilize the C&A desk for all my inquiries.

Have a great day!

Glad it worked out. I still don't understand why you were charged a change fee when you didn't have a NRD booking, but I guess it's all fixed now. Thanks for reporting back.

Glad it worked out. I still don't understand why you were charged a change fee when you didn't have a NRD booking, but I guess it's all fixed now. Thanks for reporting back.

That's what I was just coming to say. I'm surprised that they did not require the full deposit when changing to a NRD

That's what I was just coming to say. I'm surprised that they did not require the full deposit when changing to a NRD

You're right, I didn't think of the full deposit either.