Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I can't believe that Cornelius was not sent home. What a mess and on top, so poorly executed. The top was absolutely horrendous with no fit whatsoever. The pants were equally bad. At least Brik's outfit seemed to fit well and it looked like there was more thought out into it. To me, it looked like Cornelius just threw something togethe. For some reason, Cornelius seems to be getting passes.

Oh my, those straw shorts, what was she thinking? Spending so much time embroidering and it didn't even make sense or was attractive in any way. I missed it if Tim critiqued it while she was working. She's lucky that the other two were worse although I liked Brik's in a weird sort of way, not that I would wear it, at least, not together.:D

Cornelius should have gone home, certainly. Just bad.

Brik's wasn't all that bad. At least it was finished and (mostly) fit.

Whatsherface's (gawd, I stink at names) should have been sewn, then embellished after finishing. What a stupid waste of time! The embroidery could have been much more effective had she actually been able to see what she was doing on a finished garment.

I love what Laurence designs, and I like how she presents herself (or how the producers represent her?): serious, quiet, no drama. She seems very businesslike, and I appreciate that.

As for her designs: she herself said that she is looked at as the "leather designer;" I am concerned that she will continue to do leather, and even though it is extremely well-done, she will be perceived as in a rut, or a "one trick pony" (as another designer referred to her). I was very disappointed that she did not realize that she couldn't successfully make a drop-crotch pant with a stiff fabric. I was amazed that the judges were so forgiving of that error! Those pants would have been 100% successful if she had simply found a softer (or perhaps stretchier) fabric of matching color to create the crotch. But, ironically, though her past work was technically better, at least she won -- I was afraid that, once again, her otherwise consistently superior work would play second fiddle to something "unexpectedly good" from a lesser designer. Unless she incomprehensibly crashes and burns in some future challenge, I see her at the finals.

I am a little surprised that the judges did not comment that her outfit was more or less a copy of what the actress was wearing in the Kong attraction. Very "Indiana Jones." But I felt it was one of the best crossovers from rain forest to urban jungle.

As for Dexter's inflatable-shoulder Austrian trachten shorts suit -- the word hideous is completely inadequate!

Brik's desire to mix patterns resonates with me, but his desire does not translate into success. In spite of what I have seen in fashion magazines, one can't just mix any patterns in the name of following a trend - it has to be done artistically, or the result is either bag-lady or Brik's outfit. Those swirly pants actually had some potential for clubwear, IMO, but the shower curtain(!) top, however intricately wrought, was going nowhere, no matter what it was paired with. And the irony is, he bought the vinyl fabric for the "African" vibe of the pattern, but then created a top where that pattern was completely lost. It is no surprise to me that (I think it was) Zac said he did not have any idea what Brik's design point of view is.

Uh oh, someone getting thrown under the bus.

Very different from the last team challenge.:eek:

I didn't agree with the judges on the winning design. I would have picked the second place design.

I also did not agree with the losing design.

I don't think I have ever seen an earring in the ear like Dexter's. I can't imagine how painful it would be to pierce through that amount of cartilage.:eek:

Edited by Scrapnana

Well, it was definitely a toss-up this week, but I did question the losing team's color choices, though perhaps it looked somewhat different on screen from in person. The color they used wasn't really the color they were given...not in my knowledge of colors. Had they mixed it up a bit with the real color, or an approximation thereof, in accessories or details, it would have been much better. Not that it was horrible or anything. Just too much of a good thing.

Edited by srlafleur

Man, didn't Boy George look great!?! (Sorry, could not resist -- I actually like Kelley Osborne.)

I knew we were getting the Tim Gunn save as soon as he said, "There were two mean girls on that team."

That said, I agreed with the winners/losers. However, I avoid neutral shades like the plague -- in clothes and home decor.

I noticed they kept saying red violet. Was never sure if them meant red or violet or red-violet, which is a bluer shade.

BTW, I suspect Erin's star is going to start dimming. Robert and Laurence both seem to have more of the right stuff.

I think perhaps Tim Gunn used the save more because he did not like the way the other two acted than because the design/designer was misjudged.

I am another neutral avoider. I have about two beige items in my closet and I call it "blah, boring beige". I might add both pieces were bought because they were majorly discounted.

I was not a fan of Erin's coat and thought the pockets looked like something on a kid's raincoat.

Agree with both of you. I think Tim used his save for a victim, not an epic designer that had a bad day. Either way, I'm glad that Erin and Dexter didn't get away with their "bullying" (and I think that term is way over used). Now it's every man/woman for himself so let the games begin!!! Hopefully talent will prevail! :)

Agree with both of you. I think Tim used his save for a victim, not an epic designer that had a bad day. Either way, I'm glad that Erin and Dexter didn't get away with their "bullying" (and I think that term is way over used). Now it's every man/woman for himself so let the games begin!!! Hopefully talent will prevail! :)

I think it was unfair to Cornelius how they had him doing all the crap work

while they hung out and laughed. Erin should have created more than a coat. I KNEW Tim was going to use his save.

I didn't mind the neutrals at all-even though I'm not a big wearer of those neutrals. It looked clean and fresh. I agree that the blue team was the more innovative of thet eams.

It is not often I see something on PR that I could or would wear, so I was pleased to see Rik's outfit. Age appropriate, great fabric, and well constructed.

Did not care for Roberi's dress that the judges gushed over. I didn't care for the two prints together nor the cut of the dress.

I agree with the judges on the winning and losing looks.

Anyone know why Mah-Jing wears a zipper around his neck most of the time?

Loved Heidi's fuschia pantsuit.

I was very glad to finally see a "real women" challenge where most of the garments actually fit the clients' bodies!!! Season after season, when the designers where challenged to create for non-model clients, it seemed to me NOBODY was able to create flattering and well-fitting garments. It seemed like the designers were so stuck on the size 4 (or whatever) model that they did not have a clue how to dress a "real" woman.

In this challenge, even the garments which I thought were unflattering or not appropriate for the client -- like Erin's -- at least fit reasonably well, though in some -- like Nathalia's -- the proportions were off.

I was very surprised that Dexter was safe this week; his sweater dress was SO cool and seemed to have much more "design" than those which the judges preferred. Maybe if that dress had been in a more modern color, it would have impressed the judges more. In comparison, Rik's outfit, though it seemed perfect for his mother, was beautifully tailored, and fit her to perfection, looked like something I could buy at Talbot's. And the red heart on the dress, however heartwarming, seemed childish, and cheapened the look, IMO. (I thought the white topstitching did, too.) I absolutely think Rik had the winning look if this were "Project Tailoring," but it's not....

I would have flipped a coin to decide the loser -- wouldn't have mattered whether Jenni or Nathalia went home, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by SeagoingMom

Did not like Roberi's dress that they gushed over.

Didn't really care for Jeni's outfit and didn't think it was appropriate for her mother's occupation. However, I would have sent Erin home over her with that dreadful coat and hideous dress. After starting strong, she has been in the bottom for a couple of weeks now and like Tim said, how many times have they seen that coat?

This is Mah-Jing's mother.:eek:

http://www.bahamadiamusic.com/

The bottom 3 were definitely deserving to be there!

Erin, IMHO, should have been the one to go. I liked her in the beginning; now she's looking like a one-trick pony, for sure. That dress? Please. Perhaps if the color underneath was...I don't know, not pastel? And the lace should not have showed under the coat in the back. That just emphasized how much the coat didn't go with the dress. At. All. Plus, the coat was just bad - color, cut, predictable design from her, just yuck.

Natalia had no excuse for the outfit to be so over-sized! At first, when she was trying it on herself in the workroom and saying it was maybe too big, I thought perhaps her mother was bigger than her, but then on the runway I saw she was the same size or maybe even smaller! If you're going to have a problem sewing something, being too big when you're working on it is a good problem to have! Taking away is much easier than adding!

I didn't hate Jenni's, and I feel for her because her mother seemed all over the place when they were having the initial consultation, IIRC (that was her, right?) I don't think the ideas were bad, but the outfit didn't suit her mother. That length of sweater isn't flattering on most women. Younger women, models, taller women, maybe...but not generally "moms". The pants were pretty badly fit. Not sure if a softer textile might have made them better, but I didn't mind the overall idea of the outfit. I do think the shirt underneath being the maroon/red they looked at using at one point would have made it better instead of the stark white.

I was very surprised that Dexter was safe this week; his sweater dress was SO cool and seemed to have much more "design" than those which the judges preferred. Maybe if that dress had been in a more modern color, it would have impressed the judges more. In comparison, Rik's outfit, though it seemed perfect for his mother, was beautifully tailored, and fit her to perfection, looked like something I could buy at Talbot's. And the red heart on the dress, however heartwarming, seemed childish, and cheapened the look, IMO. (I thought the white topstitching did, too.) I absolutely think Rik had the winning look if this were "Project Tailoring," but it's not....

I noticed the two designers with young clients were safe (Roberi's friend didn't seem young to me). This episode was sponsored by AARP, so that would explain that (because Dexter's did turn out awesome).

Erin's outfit was beyond horrible IMO. I can't find one nice thing to say about it. If anyone else had made that dress they would have been out of there. So I would have sent her home, but Jenni did a poor job and while her mom mentioned many things for her outfit, work was not one of them (wedding/dinner out/exercise clothes). So how did that connection even happen?

I was very glad to finally see a "real women" challenge where most of the garments actually fit the clients' bodies!!! Season after season, when the designers where challenged to create for non-model clients, it seemed to me NOBODY was able to create flattering and well-fitting garments. It seemed like the designers were so stuck on the size 4 (or whatever) model that they did not have a clue how to dress a "real" woman.

In this challenge, even the garments which I thought were unflattering or not appropriate for the client -- like Erin's -- at least fit reasonably well, though in some -- like Nathalia's -- the proportions were off.

I would have flipped a coin to decide the loser -- wouldn't have mattered whether Jenni or Nathalia went home, as far as I'm concerned.

I too loved Dexters outfit. It fit his client and looked like "fashion". Riks outfit was extremely well done but as you said looked like something I could get at Talbots.

What up with Erin? She was my pick to go all the way the first few episodes. Is she becoming complacent or does she not have any more ideas?

Surprising ending, but not, at the same time. A bit surprised at the win. I thought for sure the judges would say it was too "safe" to be editorial, but it was superbly constructed and interesting.

Yeah, didn't see Erin's dress as "all that". I would have liked it better without the Flamenco-style ruffle, I think, but I guess that's what made it "editorial". It did seem well made, though, and I liked the cut of it and the pleats in the back. She's lucky she didn't go with the atrocity she started out with. She would have gone home on that for sure. Gawd, what is she thinking with the pastel washed-out colors! I think some of her other designs would have been better received had they been in more sophisticated colors and fabrics.

I think both who were sent home deserved to go, though after Nina's comment to Dexter, "I think you have more in you," I was surprised that he was not kept on to give him a chance to prove Nina right. I guess her comment did not represent a door remaining open, as I thought, but rather one slamming shut!

I, too, am disappointed in Erin -- I expected so much more from her. Could be she is creative only when she has enough time to plan, make changes, etc., which is not what happens on PR! I thought her ruffled dress would be laughed off the stage as "department store," or junior.......that ruffle!!!!!! :eek::eek: In what universe did that dress read "powerful New York woman?" I was also not a fan of the pleats in the back -- thought they would make a woman's backside look wide.

I was in total agreement with Dexter's opinion of the excrement-splattered textile Rix made. Ugh.... And I was astonished that Marie Claire's Anne Fulenwider was so enthusiastic about the "toga party" design Rik draped.

With all the positive comments from the judges, I really expected Mah Jing to come out on top. But I really liked Cornelius' dress and was glad it won. It was interesting, flattering and beautiful, IMO, and all the moreso for not being flashy or sexy. Hallelujah!!!!