Project Runway?

BlueHerons

rate_runway_11_414.jpg

(this is the model who was late, but she was double and triple booked all over town that week! She's the one in all of the Target commercials.)

rate_runway_12_414.jpg

(this is the one that Christian said was "for" Victoria Beckham)

rate_runway_13_414.jpg

Ta dah!

At any rate, I think that they are all top notch, and it could have gone to any of them. It really was a matter of "taste", and who the guest judge was...

Had it been a different guest judge, it probably would have gone to Jillian or Rami.

They're next!

Jillian

rate_runway_15_414.jpg

rate_runway_16_414.jpg

rate_runway_17_414.jpg

rate_runway_18_414.jpg

rate_runway_19_414.jpg

Comments about this...

#1 I don't agree at all that this collection doesn't have "cohesion".

It definitely does, it's just very subtle. It's not so in your face obvious like the others. There is only one piece, that threw all of the judges off, and they focused on that.

(Kind of reminds me of American Idol where the biggest loudest beltiest singers are considered "the best". And the ones who are more subtle and nuanced - meaning their style is actually what will sell more records and be on the radio - are never given as much attention).

#2 One of the things about this, is that there is so much originality here in the craftsmanship, the details, but there are far far more women who would wear this collection. That's what raised it up in major points in my book.

rate_runway_20_414.jpg

rate_runway_21_414.jpg

(and this is the piece that threw them all off. It is a silhouette of armor - much in the theme of the rest - but created out of wool and sweater materials instead of fabric. Look at it that way and you can see. Possibly if she made it out of a more metallic sheen or color wool, they would have gotten it easier. Or, I think she could have put the knitwear dress she was wearing that she made for herself in a different slot in the collection - notice that has the shape of old fashioned armor on the skirting - and it would have flowed better in the collection)...

rate_runway_22_414.jpg

(this is my favorite piece - the craftsmanship is unbelievable)

rate_runway_23_414.jpg

(this is a sweater that I could see tons of college age women wanting in a heartbeat)

rate_runway_24_414.jpg

rate_runway_25_414.jpg

(our beloved ANTM Jaslene, and I couldn't tell if the applause was for her, or for the outfit - but I think that the audience and press loved this dress)

cruisewear!

rate_runway_26_414.jpg

more cruisewear!

rate_runway_27_414.jpg

(this was my other favorite, and I yelled at the TV - cruisewear! It's nice and dressy, but pants! So perfect for a dressy night in windy weather!)

rate_runway_28_414.jpg

I'll just add again here, this is her own knitwear dress that I think she should have substituted into the collection in place of that sweater armor. It would have flowed better as a collection in the judges eyes)...

rate_runway_27_414.jpg

(this was my other favorite, and I yelled at the TV cruisewear! It's nice and dressy, but pants! So perfect for formal night in windy weather!)

I LURVED this one!! I didn't even realize it was pants until she made the turn at the end of the runway.

Rami - voted by viewers in the prom episode, as the deisgner they would most like to be their prom date!

rate_runway_29_414.jpg

rate_runway_30_414.jpg

rate_runway_31_414.jpg

(I love this one as it looks like a brand new Rami draping take, on professional work wear. Kind of like a power suit from the 80s, but much more feminine).

rate_runway_32_414.jpg

(another one that got a lot of applause from the audience)

rate_runway_33_414.jpg

Okay there you go!

Comment away!

Next week or so, I'll try to get a full collection of Chris' and Sweet P's.

I think it bodes well, and is interesting that so many people actually loved Chris the best.

Stupid judges apparently couldn't get past the "human hair".

(My thing is, you'll clip it, braid it, and glue it into your scalp for your hair extensions? But you won't wear it on the outside of your clothes? Contradictory much?)

The thing is the Project Runway rules state that no one can use fur.

So, Chris wanted a fur effect doing it in a "humane" "not breaking the rules" way.

I'm a big fan of his, so I'm hoping that he goes into a film/tv costume design realm. That way he can make a name, make money and do well for himself - but still do collections on the side.

Quite a few designers do this, and probably Jane110 and Blue Herons can think of specfic names that do or have done this...

I'm going to keep an ear to the ground and a lookout for him, so if I her things, I'll keep you all updated as I know you all like him a lot.

PS Did you all catch Jack and his boyfriend (as I reported earlier this year) Dale (runner up from last season's Top Chef) in the audience?

rate_runway_38_414.jpg

cuisewear! (and I think this is the one that Jane110 wants!)

(Could you imagine was a great response you'd get if you wore this on a cruise?!?)

It could be a fight...:)

I thought this was spectacular. Did Jane say green? I thought it was brown.:confused: ALL his gowns were WOWs and definitely cruisewear, except I question the pouch on the gold one...sort of looked like it was leaving room to accommodate a medical appliance.:eek: IMO, of course.

Did Jane say green? I thought it was brown.:confused:

Exactly!

That is the entire point that the judges and Jane110 were making.

His color choices. This is kind of an olive green dress, but it is also kind of drabby brown looking in different light (or different computer monitors).

A lot of his colors are kind of mixes or halfway inbetween colors.

So not really any definite crisp, bam, here it is!

They all look a little bit like dye jobs that didn't exactly turn out right, so went into the second hand pile.

(You know, kind of like, this wasn't quite the spectacuar olive green we were going for, sell that to Big Lots, they'll do something with it)...

It's kind of the one thing that takes his designs down a notch, and what kind of "drabs them out".

Using an example from the Award Fashion thread...

40577418f31a300f9d9341cddb9af68a.jpg

(source = gettyimages dot com)

If this dress had been in a Rami color, it would have looked really dowdy and possibly matronly.

But, the crisp red, takes the same silhouette and makes Ruby Dee look bright, and vivacious!

I'm a big fan of his, so I'm hoping that he goes into a film/tv costume design realm. That way he can make a name, make money and do well for himself - but still do collections on the side.

Quite a few designers do this, and probably Jane110 and Blue Herons can think of specfic names that do or have done this...

Kara Saun from Season One and Patricia Field are two names that come to mind. I know I'm overlooking someone major.

Loved Chris.

I wonder how Daniel Vosovic is taking this? Didn't they basically tell him he was too young and immature to win?

OK, DD and I just finished watching the show from last night. We were both a bit shocked that Christian won. Not that he isn't talented and we didn't like a few of the things he did. It's just too silly, not at all "fierce" to us. The first model looks like she has roller skates on her feet. Then, it was just one jacket after another.

I loved Jillians the best, but that is from a consumers point of view. I think she did a collection that a woman could buy the whole thing and have a great wardrobe.

Rami takes it all for evening wear, just as I thought he would. Some of his other pieces were just too 80's for me.

So...for us it was a shock to see Jillian be eliminated, we thought Christian would go first. Then, when they announced Christians name, I thought for sure he would be told he was "out"! When they said he was the winner, we looked at each other and said "HUH!"???

He's not as bad as last years winner, at least there's that ;)

I think this season's finalists were all great. I would agree with Jane110 and thought that Jillian should have won. Her collection seemed the most wearable by most women and her tailoring skills are fabulous.

I also adored the brown/olive green dress from Rami and the last dress from Christian.

Let's face it...they all have talent!!

Amy - from the Left Coast

That sweater of Jillians, with the holes along the waist, I WANT THAT SWEATER! I WANT IT BAD! It's so cute, I saw it and wanted to rip it from the TV and wear it. I figure at 22, I'm the perfect age to wear it.

LOL!! Everybody is going to want that sweater. I bet it's already being copied. It's a natural. Let's you show skin w/o showing too much. It could be embraced by young women the way that black dress with just the shoulders bare from several years ago was embraced by older women.

I wonder if Rami's color selections aren't influenced by his Israeli background. For some reason they seem right to me -- for him, that is. Just musing.

Ok...way late to the party, but I just finished watching!!

I have to say that I LOVE Christian....

I just do.

I think he is just a doll personality wise, and I just love him.

His energy is addicting!

As far as a designer goes, I think he is an artist..a true artist, he has a true vision and is able to carry that across all the way consistently.

I was happy to see him win simply because of his reaction and how I feel about him.

That being said....

His clothes are just not wearable mainstream.

Maybe that does not mean anything, maybe I do not know anything, I do not know.

As much as it pains me to say this, if this contest is about wearable fashion ( which to me..is what 'fashion' should be...wearable)then he clearly should NOT have won..

His collection has very heavy, very dark. To me it bordered on depressing ...:confused:

Jillian's collection was very wearable. I actaully did not see the problem they had with her collection lacking cohesiveness.

What...everyhthing needs to look the same coming down?

Her pieces all had continuity in wearability and her colors we not all over the place.:rolleyes:

The black stripe sweater? Get over it.....

I loved her pieces and would wear a lot of what she had right off the runway.

The thing that does bother me about her is her whining.

she does an awful lot of it and she just tends to rub me the wrong way at times....only at times.;)

Her craftmanship is there by a mile.

But I wholeheartedly agreed...she does not have 'a look' IMO.

Beautiful pieces,yes, but she has found her place yet.

Rami

O, that man can design a gown I swear.

I agree that his color choices leave a lot to be desired sometimes, but then again, if he is cutom designing clothes,does his color choice matter?

I would think it is then up to the client....

In any case his details are amazing, I have always love his signature draping and the way his work glides and flows across the catwalk.

It, to me, is signature elegance and beauty.

All of the designers had collections to be proud of.

This was, by far, the best PR.

I 'lurv' Christain, but no...the win was not his.

Jillian or Rami?

I don't know...

Jillian does not seem to know who she is, I agree.

But her pieces are wearable nonetheless,marketable and she would evolve, no doubt. ( Yes?)

Rami, limited maybe, but signature and I think there is a market.

I would be his market...his gowns are amazing!:D :D

Ok...way late to the party, but I just finished watching!!

I have to say that I LOVE Christian....

I just do.

I think he is just a doll personality wise, and I just love him.

His energy is addicting!

As far as a designer goes, I think he is an artist..a true artist, he has a true vision and is able to carry that across all the way consistently.

I was happy to see him win simply because of his reaction and how I feel about him.

That being said....

His clothes are just not wearable mainstream.

Maybe that does not mean anything, maybe I do not know anything, I do not know.

As much as it pains me to say this, if this contest is about wearable fashion ( which to me..is what 'fashion' should be...wearable)then he clearly should NOT have won..

His collection has very heavy, very dark. To me it bordered on depressing ...:confused:

Jillian's collection was very wearable. I actaully did not see the problem they had with her collection lacking cohesiveness.

What...everyhthing needs to look the same coming down?

Her pieces all had continuity in wearability and her colors we not all over the place.:rolleyes:

The black stripe sweater? Get over it.....

I loved her pieces and would wear a lot of what she had right off the runway.

The thing that does bother me about her is her whining.

she does an awful lot of it and she just tends to rub me the wrong way at times....only at times.;)

Her craftmanship is there by a mile.

But I wholeheartedly agreed...she does not have 'a look' IMO.

Beautiful pieces,yes, but she has found her place yet.

Rami

O, that man can design a gown I swear.

I agree that his color choices leave a lot to be desired sometimes, but then again, if he is cutom designing clothes,does his color choice matter?

I would think it is then up to the client....

In any case his details are amazing, I have always love his signature draping and the way his work glides and flows across the catwalk.

It, to me, is signature elegance and beauty.

All of the designers had collections to be proud of.

This was, by far, the best PR.

I 'lurv' Christain, but no...the win was not his.

Jillian or Rami?

I don't know...

Jillian does not seem to know who she is, I agree.

But her pieces are wearable nonetheless,marketable and she would evolve, no doubt. ( Yes?)

Rami, limited maybe, but signature and I think there is a market.

I would be his market...his gowns are amazing!:D :D

Perfectly stated....I'm in total agreement. That Christian certainly is a fun cutey.:D

I'm going to keep an ear to the ground and a lookout for him, so if I her things, I'll keep you all updated as I know you all like him a lot.

PS Did you all catch Jack and his boyfriend (as I reported earlier this year) Dale (runner up from last season's Top Chef) in the audience?

Still more coming to mind. Hugo Boss and Georgia Armani's designs for Miami Vice is what put them on the map.

Yes, I did see Dale "The Big Gay Chef" from Top Chef! I loved him and so wanted him to win instead of that little creep Hung that won.

• 2 weeks later...

He seems to be getting more press than any of the other previous winners.

I don't think it's due to his over the top personality, I think that it's simply a numbers situation with more and more of the general public watching the show.

Anyone catch the Project Runway skit on Sat Night Live a couple of weeks ago w/ Amy Pohler playing Christian.

What a hoot!!!

It was great. She had him down perfectly. Every move.

And the tall thin SNL guy played Tim Gunn perfectly. The women playing Heidi Klum was auf-ful. Oh well.

How does one play Heidi, the pressure would be enormous! What a beauty!