Galveston Expansion

I wonder if there are plans to improve the surrounding infrastructure to handle the increased number of guests, like surface streets, hotels, rental car agencies, etc.

Edited by Host Clarea

I cruise from Galveston frequently since I live in DFW. Amen on the infrastructure ESPECIALLY the shuttles, taxis, rental cars... any form of transportation. Though I'd love to see a big ship, they best do something besides just the terminal.

Galveston, an island approximately 50 miles from Houston, welcomed over 6.5 million visitors in 2017 and is the 4th largest cruise port in the U.S. The port is located in the downtown area on Harborside.

The majority of downtown streets are in the process of being repaved. There is no room to "add" new streets - This is an island!

There are several routes to take to reach the terminal. However, people have the "sheep effect" and follow the one in front creating a long line of vehicles.

Many hotels/condos/vacation rentals are available on the island as well as on the mainland in all price ranges. What is the complaint? As any destination, this all falls under supply and demand.

In regard of rental cars, as they are private business, it is their choice to open on the island. Unless one is familiar with the business, there is great expense in stocking and moving vehicles around. Galveston itself does not have the need for 3-4 rentals agencies. Enterprise, a franchise, re-opened 9 years ago after Hurricane Ike. Hertz chose to not return. Enterprise is open on Sunday as is Hertz in Texas City, but one must reserve vehicles.

The Port is a separate entity and not operated by the City. The majority of cruisers drive to Galveston. For others flying, there are private and cruise line shuttles.

What City services are being questioned?

Distance from airports is a factor for those flying, but we can't move the island!

I would love to see varied itineraries - eastern Caribbean, Panama Canal, Cuba, etc, This is up to the cruise lines.

We must be doing something right as the ships sail full

Everything, everywhere boils down to economics. No entity can operate at a loss no matter how many people complain

I also live in dfw area and have done several cruises from Galveston , but rather just fly to another port. Hotels that were 150 or so a few years ago are now 300 and require 2 night stay , also last few cruises had fog problems so ship left hours late , then you add drink restrictions until you are 10 miles out and visiting same ports .

Hopefully they come up with more variety of itineraries out of Galveston. Lack of variations is why we end up going out of Florida usually.

YES!

However geography has a lot to do with it:D

However there's plenty of scope for some imagination and offer a few departures of longer duration. It used to happen.

I think RCI doesn't care much for anything other than the megaships, Galveston works well enough, why change it.

Rather than a bigger ship I'd prefer another cruiseline - NCL or Princess perhaps. NCL is offering longer itineraries out of New Orleans for example.

https://cruisefever.net/is-royal-caribbean-moving-an-oasis-class-ship-to-galveston/

Edited by pspercy

Galveston, an island approximately 50 miles from Houston, welcomed over 6.5 million visitors in 2017 and is the 4th largest cruise port in the U.S. The port is located in the downtown area on Harborside.

The majority of downtown streets are in the process of being repaved. There is no room to "add" new streets - This is an island!

There are several routes to take to reach the terminal. However, people have the "sheep effect" and follow the one in front creating a long line of vehicles.

Many hotels/condos/vacation rentals are available on the island as well as on the mainland in all price ranges. What is the complaint? As any destination, this all falls under supply and demand.

In regard of rental cars, as they are private business, it is their choice to open on the island. Unless one is familiar with the business, there is great expense in stocking and moving vehicles around. Galveston itself does not have the need for 3-4 rentals agencies. Enterprise, a franchise, re-opened 9 years ago after Hurricane Ike. Hertz chose to not return. Enterprise is open on Sunday as is Hertz in Texas City, but one must reserve vehicles.

The Port is a separate entity and not operated by the City. The majority of cruisers drive to Galveston. For others flying, there are private and cruise line shuttles.

Distance from airports is a factor for those flying, but we can't move the island!

I would love to see varied itineraries - eastern Caribbean, Panama Canal, Cuba, etc, This is up to the cruise lines.

Everything, everywhere boils down to economics. No entity can operate at a loss no matter how many people complain

Hotels double the standard price and they do require 2 night stays. I believe the cruise lines should step in and help control reasonable rates and availability. Cars rental would bring more business to the Galveston area. This year we are flying in the same day because everything in Galveston has gotten out of hand.

Hotels double the standard price and they do require 2 night stays. I believe the cruise lines should step in and help control reasonable rates and availability. Cars rental would bring more business to the Galveston area. This year we are flying in the same day because everything in Galveston has gotten out of hand.

The cruise lines have nothing to do with other private businesses. Same with car rental.

One can book a package with the cruise line for hotel/transportation and cruise.

Galveston is a destination - long before cruise lines, there was a 2 night minimum. Many hotels will offer one night by calling direct.

Rates, same as everywhere in the world, are priced by supply and demand and seasons.

This is called free enterprise.

We just got off the Liberty yesterday. Compared to cruise port facilities in Seattle, Boston, Port Canaveral (before the new RC terminal opened) and the old RC facility in Miami, Galveston is terrible,

We managed to get off the ship without a lot of trouble yesterday, because we had the RC airport transfer. But friends we were traveling with needed three hours from the time they walked down the gangway until they cleared Customs and Immigration. That is insane.

Mind you, their bags were in the terminal, when they got off. In fact, they saw their bags coming off the ship, while eating breakfast in the MDR.

It seems to me that the first bus from Port Canaveral for Orlando International leaves 30 to 40 minutes earlier than the first bus leaving Galveston for Intercontinental. If RC could get the first airport transfer between 8:45 and 9:00, rather than between 9:30 and 9:45, then disembarking passengers could make earlier flights, and embarking passengers could arrive earlier at the pier.

I sure thought there would be more positive feed back comments. A separate entrance and exit for each terminal and adjusting traffic flow lanes would alleviate a lot of congestion at the port. When we sailed on the NOS before LOS was deployed, the employees were very excited about getting a big ship.

Remember folks, there are thousands of people getting off or on a ship at the same time. It is not going to be immediate. I volunteer at the airport and hear of people getting stuck in security lines for hours or flights being cancelled or changed frequently.

We managed to get off the ship without a lot of trouble yesterday, because we had the RC airport transfer. But friends we were traveling with needed three hours from the time they walked down the gangway until they cleared Customs and Immigration. That is insane.

Had a friend on the cruise (he did self assist) who said disembarkation was very bad. But as soon as they got down to customs area there was not a line for people holding passports. What he said was that it must have been Mexico's spring break so it appeared there were a lot of non-US citizens on the boat which probably caused the delay. We do self assist and the times we have used it (both early and waited till the last ones off) was about 30 minutes from leaving our room and going through customs.

We just got off the Liberty yesterday. Compared to cruise port facilities in Seattle, Boston, Port Canaveral (before the new RC terminal opened) and the old RC facility in Miami, Galveston is terrible,

Mind you, their bags were in the terminal, when they got off. In fact, they saw their bags coming off the ship, while eating breakfast in the MDR.

It seems to me that the first bus from Port Canaveral for Orlando International leaves 30 to 40 minutes earlier than the first bus leaving Galveston for Intercontinental. If RC could get the first airport transfer between 8:45 and 9:00, rather than between 9:30 and 9:45, then disembarking passengers could make earlier flights, and embarking passengers could arrive earlier at the pier.

That is not typical.

We have sailed numerous times out of Galveston and were off ship and clear in less than 30 minutes; more often 15 minutes.

Easter sailing has a large number of cruisers from Mexico which takes much longer.

ICE must take the blame as they do not provide enough staff on holiday sailings as staff won’t work. They also must ride together from Houston which creates delay if some or late or don’t show up.

Anytime a ship comes from Roatan, ICE takes longer due to drug issues from that country in clearing the ship prior to passengers disembarking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All the more reason that Galveston is a poor port option.

Like I've said time and time again, it is convenient for locals and horrible for everybody else. It is by far the most disorganized, inconvenient, and enjoyable port we have sailed form.

I live in a suburb of Houston. We have taken lots of cruises out of Galveston. Because we are close, we usually take a limo in the day of or park at the pier (which is super cheap). I have found the disembarking off the Carnival ships to be quicker than RC. But, it was not bad last New Year's with RC. There are tons more hotels in Galveston now and the restaurants are great as well. I would love to see some different ports, but if not, the ship is an experience and I don't have to get off if I don't want to. I'd love for an Oasis Class ship, but I am not holding my breath. It is going to cost a lot of money ($100 million+) and a lot of reloading of businesses already occupying pier space. I read that RCI would need to know if Galveston can build a new terminal and whatever else needs to be done with the channel? or pier before November 2018 for sailing to start in 2020. Things do not tend to move that fast around here, so I think that date is far to soon for an answer form Galveston. I will be watching and listening to hear any more news on this though.

This is what we have experienced in Galveston, also. It took over two hours from curb to onboard on the first sailing (not to mention an hour sitting in traffic to get to the parking lot), over an hour the second time, and both disembarkation experiences were nightmares getting through customs.

It's admirable that you are defending all these things, but they are still real issues for a lot of people.

They can't add streets, but perhaps they can change traffic patterns on the existing ones.

There may be lots of hotels available, but many require 2 night stays.

Rental cars are indeed private businesses, but that doesn't change the fact that many are not open on Sundays.

We understand that the island can't be moved closer to an airport, but that doesn't change the fact that it is fairly far from the airport(s).

The itineraries are indeed up to the cruise lines, but many still feel that they could be better.

And of course none of this addresses the ridiculous Texas liquor laws, and the fog.

The fact is that a lot of people feel Galveston has some serious drawbacks as a cruise port, whether you think so or not.

It's admirable that you are defending all these things, but they are still real issues for a lot of people.

They can't add streets, but perhaps they can change traffic patterns on the existing ones.

There may be lots of hotels available, but many require 2 night stays.

Rental cars are indeed private businesses, but that doesn't change the fact that many are not open on Sundays.

We understand that the island can't be moved closer to an airport, but that doesn't change the fact that it is fairly far from the airport(s).

The itineraries are indeed up to the cruise lines, but many still feel that they could be better.

And of course none of this addresses the ridiculous Texas liquor laws, and the fog.

The fact is that a lot of people feel Galveston has some serious drawbacks as a cruise port, whether you think so or not.

I agree entirely! I live in DFW & fly to N.O. or one of the Florida ports to avoid Galveston with its fog & and all the other problems.

Galveston is not for everyone. So for everyone bashing it by all means cruise elsewhere. The port is convenient for a lot of folks - Texans and non Texans. It ain't perfect. But the worst embarkation I ever had was Port Canaveral when the computers went down and they made 1000's of people stand outside for hours with no food, no water and only minimal access to bathrooms.

Due to logistics, there are only so many ports that can be reached from Galveston.

A staff captain told me years ago a Freedom class ship would never sail from Galveston....ok.

Traffic patterns would definitely need to be updated and changed. Galveston needs to find an incentive to get a good rental car company to operate on Sundays. Uber is now an option and I'm sure some enterprising people will start catching on that working on a Sunday morning to early afternoon can make them some good money. Royal has zero control over the hotels. Ft Lauderdale often had 2 day minimums when we cruised out of there. Like GC said, it's called supply and demand. Fog is an issue maybe 3 months out of the year. Kind of like snowstorms are for people that fly in the Northeast and Midwest.

Royal and Galveston just upgraded their port facilities - I can't see them doing it again so quickly. But money talks. They are building so many ships and there's only so many ports to put them.

Galveston is JUST FINE with us. We drive in day of, easy peasy. The only thing I don't like about the process is the 2 day minimums...so we can't stay at the finer hotels on island. But we've also stayed overnight on the mainland for extremely reasonable prices...if Galveston doesn't mind losing the revenue, so be it. Fine with us. We are fortunate we live 4 hrs away. And we don't mind going back to our "vacation homes" on their itineraries at all. We've been to Nachi Cocom probably 15 times...wouldn't think of not going!

As for fog, we have had some dang good cruises that were hendered by fog. One left the next morning at 2 and one returned in fog and we parked outside the channel until 3:00 pm. No worries, we had a great time on both.:halo:

Galveston is JUST FINE with us. We drive in day of, easy peasy. The only thing I don't like about the process is the 2 day minimums...so we can't stay at the finer hotels on island. But we've also stayed overnight on the mainland for extremely reasonable prices...if Galveston doesn't mind losing the revenue, so be it. Fine with us. We are fortunate we live 4 hrs away. And we don't mind going back to our "vacation homes" on their itineraries at all. We've been to Nachi Cocom probably 15 times...wouldn't think of not going!

As for fog, we have had some dang good cruises that were hendered by fog. One left the next morning at 2 and one returned in fog and we parked outside the channel until 3:00 pm. No worries, we had a great time on both.:halo:

That's fine for those that drive, but for those that fly it's anything but "no worries".