Best Thing to Do in Genoa?

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

We will be docked in Genoa on the MSC Seaview in July. We will be there on a Sunday, from 8AM-5PM. Neither of us have ever been to Genoa before. We would like to see the Cinque Terre the most, but also have interest in seeing closer villages, like Camogli or Portofino. Does anyone have any tour recommendations, or a way in which we could see some of those on our own? I will be with my grandmother, who is not up for anything too strenuous. Neither of us like small boats either, so a predominantly land-based tour or venture is what we'd most prefer.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us! :):)

Hello,

We will be docked in Genoa on the MSC Seaview in July. We will be there on a Sunday, from 8AM-5PM. Neither of us have ever been to Genoa before. We would like to see the Cinque Terre the most, but also have interest in seeing closer villages, like Camogli or Portofino. Does anyone have any tour recommendations, or a way in which we could see some of those on our own? I will be with my grandmother, who is not up for anything too strenuous. Neither of us like small boats either, so a predominantly land-based tour or venture is what we'd most prefer.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us! :):)

I think the Cinque Terre villages are a little too far from Genoa for a one-day shore excursion. We docked in Genoa on a Sunday this past February and had a great tour with Cristina Cristini with Genoa Private Tours http://genoaprivatetours.com that included Genoa, Santa Margarita, and Portofino. Contact Cristina at infor@genoaprivatetours.com. Portofino is beautiful and very similar to the Cinque Terre villages.

Ron

ChmGM7gj7nY

I am trying to decide the same thing. There is simply not a lot of information about cruise excursions from Genoa!

My adult daughter has been to Cinque Terre and is enthusiastically recommending that we go there. I have found a few companies that offer private Cinque Terre excursions from Genoa. But I don't have a sense of how far away this would be from Genoa . . . would the travel time be worth the payoff? Would it be an exhausting day, or a relaxing one?

I am trying to decide the same thing. There is simply not a lot of information about cruise excursions from Genoa!

My adult daughter has been to Cinque Terre and is enthusiastically recommending that we go there. I have found a few companies that offer private Cinque Terre excursions from Genoa. But I don't have a sense of how far away this would be from Genoa . . . would the travel time be worth the payoff? Would it be an exhausting day, or a relaxing one?

Genoa to Cinque Terre is doable, but the travel time in each direction is around 2 hours. Then you have the travel time between the villages. You be the judge!

Genoa to Cinque Terre is doable, but the travel time in each direction is around 2 hours. Then you have the travel time between the villages. You be the judge!

I loved the video you posted! I am currently leaning towards doing an excursion similar to what you experienced. It might make for a much more relaxing day!

There is a small ferry that goes from Genoa to Camogli, San Fruttuoso and Portofino. They have many departures in the summer and it is a fun way to visit all three ports. Here is the website:

http://www.golfoparadiso.it/en/

Click the link "All lines" The Green Line goes to all three villages. The Red line goes to Cinqueterre. Make sure you scroll all the way down on each page for all the info, timetables, maps and pictures of each route. They don't have prices posted for 2018, but they should be about the same as for 2017.

Also, http://www.visitgenoa.it/en/boat-trips-riviera

You can also google "ferry Genoa Portofino" and get a lot of info,

Edited by marazul

I loved the video you posted! I am currently leaning towards doing an excursion similar to what you experienced. It might make for a much more relaxing day!

This was a perfect day. Not too rushed, but plenty to see. We even had time for a pizza and vino stop. Enjoy!

Depending on your interest and mobility Genoa to Portofino can easily be done on your own. We caught the train in Genoa, a short walk from the port, and rode to Santa Margherita. We then walked the lovely beachside trail from Santa M to Portofino. It is almost all off road and there are many places you can stop along it to take a photo or to have a drink. After touring Portofino and having a light lunch we took the ferry back to Santa M which we then wandered through on our own. With plenty of time we caught a return train to Genoa. If you would like you can replace the walk or ferry in one or the other direction by a cab or bus from Santa M to Portofino. Pleasant, inexpensive, and from what I gathered a better day than the tours offered on board

]

Portofino is not worth the time except for The Annunziato. Rent a car. It's about an hour each way to Porto Venere, a great little place with a wonderful restaurant on the dock. Go to Monterosso in the Cinque Terre.

I think you have the wrong timing. It is nearly two hours from Genoa to Portovenere on the autostrada (toll road). Add to that the time to pickup and return the rental car.

It would be about 45 minutes drive from Genoa to Santa Margherita and could stop at Camogli on the way.

The train from Genoa to Sta. Margherita is 20-30 minutes.

And Portofino is a pretty town and a short distance from Sta Margherita.

More like 70 miles and depends on time of day.

OP is looking for options.

I don't think they will be driving and they only have a shortish 8 am to 5 pm port day. Also traveling with grandma.

They would like to do it on their own, but excursions might be more practical.