Comparisons

Jimsgirl

I think we need to remember when reading these boards, that the experience of passengers in a suite with an attentive butler will be different to that of someone in an inside cabin with a mediocre cabin person.

Equally the experience of someone sitting at Table "xxx" in the "balcony at Main sitting" with a slow or bad waiter can be very different to people sitting at "table abc" in the lower level with a "fabulous waiter who bring extras and advises that which is good tonight"

Also, somone who "went on "*******" two years ago cannot judge what the ship is like now, with the additional wear and tear, different crew, different kitchen staff, etc. not to mention the cost cutting all accountants inflict on food, and "free goodies" these days.

Yes to all of the above except the inside cabin part. I'd rather be in an inside cabin on a nice ship with wonderful food and good service than in the best suite of a not-so-nice ship.

We've only had one really bad waiter out of 12 cruises. A word from one of our tablemates with the maitre d' got us a terrific waiter for the rest of our cruise.

I'll agree with geoherb, it's better to upgrade your ship than your cabin.

A suite on a mediocre ship is no guarantee of a better steward or the best service in the dining room. Add to that, some of the very best room stewards we've had have been in some pretty lowly inside cabins on a mediocre ship. We just returned from a 3 night cruise with friends and had wonderful service and better food than I remember from the same ship 2 years prior. I sometimes read reviews of this same ship that have nothing nice to say.

Service is personal, sometimes the best to you is inferior to another. Food, well, the same can be said. Some people will rave about Carnival, some will pick apart Crystal, amazingly for the same situations. I read of disappointment constantly regarding buffets, yet many people would never dream to go to the dining room for any meal other than dinner.

A lot has to do with prior experience, then add a big dose of expectation. Then, deal with personalities, service depends on the person providing the service and your perception. While I think an overly friendly server in the dining room can be annoying, the next table may hang on their every word and think they are entertaining.

So, you have to really read into reviews, with a bad review, I'll often go to their other posts, to see if they are typically whiners. While I don't discount a first time poster, I'm usually wary if they have just come here to complain and try to warn people off xxxxx cruiseline. It's all about people and service is people, not a cruise ship.

Archived