A picky eater in the Haven

cescalee

My lactose intolerant and picky eater boyfriend is coming on his first Haven cruise with me this June (escape). Does anyone know if the Haven restaurant will accommodate his plain taste? We have 3 specialty dining reservations at places we know he will eat but I would like to spend the other nights in the Haven restaurant. Here are some of his quirks for example : no fish, no seafood, only chicken and beef protein, no cheese or milk, no chicken with bones, will only eat small shrimp, no soups, no salads, no sandwiches (except plain hamburger)

My lactose intolerant and picky eater boyfriend is coming on his first Haven cruise with me this June (escape). Does anyone know if the Haven restaurant will accommodate his plain taste? We have 3 specialty dining reservations at places we know he will eat but I would like to spend the other nights in the Haven restaurant. Here are some of his quirks for example : no fish, no seafood, only chicken and beef protein, no cheese or milk, no chicken with bones, will only eat small shrimp, no soups, no salads, no sandwiches (except plain hamburger)

Talk the to the Haven Maitre D. Give him/her a list on the first day. I’m sure they can come up with a few things.

Since the menu doesn't change in the Haven, I see no reason why he can't get steak on those nights in there. You can always order the chicken nuggets off the children's menu as they don't have bones.

....and I thought I was picky...... :rolleyes:

I'd contact guest services now and ask them about options for one who has diet restrictions. You may not get the best info or you may get a bonanza and some forms to fill our precruise, but perhaps collectively you will be able to make some inroads so that you know what you have to do once on board.

Have a good time!!!

The way I understand it the Haven will make you anything on the other restaurants menu. I think you can make special request also and they will do there best help. My husband is a picky eater and our butler was very accommodating to his needs on our cruise. We were not in haven just a suite so the haven should even be better. Cagneys also made some special items form him. They like advance notice for special request. We are staying in the Haven for our Thanksgiving cruise.

Filet is available every night in the Haven. I’m sure they would also cook him a boneless chicken breast with no problem, as well as any veggie he likes. He can also get hamburgers for lunch and they’d make him one for dinner as well. He’ll want to stay away from the shrimp cocktail, as those are definitely not shrimpy shrimp! They’ll basically make him anything, as long as they have the ingredients.

The way I understand it the Haven will make you anything on the other restaurants menu. I think you can make special request also and they will do there best help. My husband is a picky eater and our butler was very accommodating to his needs on our cruise. We were not in haven just a suite so the haven should even be better. Cagneys also made some special items form him. They like advance notice for special request. We are staying in the Haven for our Thanksgiving cruise.

Thank you so much for this info. Have a good time on your cruise!

Kind of defeats the purpose of eating in the Haven or Specialty Restaurants, but you can probably accommodate him in the buffet every day.

Yeah I feel like he may just end up stopping at the buffet before or after dinners just to make sure he eats. I'm hoping to get him to try new things this trip but he is very particular. I am a bit of a foodie so the Haven & specialty dining is more for me than him.

I bet that it will all work out! Make sure to call NCL ahead of time to tell them about your lactose intolerance. They will be very helpful on the cruise, There will be plenty for your boyfriend to eat. On the Gem we were in a studio so we were able to eat breakfast and lunch in Cagney. They went out of their way to help me with a food sensitivity. I will be on the Escape in June, my first time in the Haven!

Have a blast!

Bonni

I'm betting that if there is any place on the ship that can accommodate his eating needs, it's the Haven!

(Seriously - my dad had celiac sprue and the staff went out of their way to make him special things - even in the buffet, we'd get a visit from Chef Rodney making sure dad was happy. It can be done.)

((And boy, howdy. . . I didn't marry a guy once because he had food allergies and I couldn't imagine a lifetime of nothing but chicken breasts, rice and little green peas. Well, and other things, but I'll admit that was one of them. He must be something special, if a foodie and a picky eater are a pair!)

I strongly recommend your personal cruise consultant, or call and get one..or your TA. Give them the list of acceptable items. They will definitely take care of the little food idiosyncrasies. They need to know in advance though.

My DIL had to be gluten free. They gave a menu one day in advance and she had to pick from that.

He will be fine.

The real question is whether they'll let your toddler boyfriend eat from the adults menu. Did you fill out the kids club waivers beforehand?

The REAL question is why you feel the need to post non constructive and condescending answers on threads. Are you happy in your life?

I'm betting that if there is any place on the ship that can accommodate his eating needs, it's the Haven!

(Seriously - my dad had celiac sprue and the staff went out of their way to make him special things - even in the buffet, we'd get a visit from Chef Rodney making sure dad was happy. It can be done.)

((And boy, howdy. . . I didn't marry a guy once because he had food allergies and I couldn't imagine a lifetime of nothing but chicken breasts, rice and little green peas. Well, and other things, but I'll admit that was one of them. He must be something special, if a foodie and a picky eater are a pair!)

He adds spice to my life in other ways!

They deal with lactose intolerant people on each and every cruise on each and every ship. This is nothing special. Tell them about that, and they will make accommodations. As far as giving them a list of his picky habits, um, no. That is for him to manage, not a maitre d. My son is a super picky eater, too. Even worse than this guy. I'd never dream of bothering a restaurant staff with that. He chooses to be picky, so it's up to him to find something to eat. He has been taught that it is his problem, and not someone else's.